T Nation

The Mercury DeToxification Thread

I have been convinced that mercury poisoning is a problem that afflicts many of us. Although the American Dental Association is adamantly opposed to the idea that fillings containing mercury (amalgams) cause mercury intoxication, some dentists, health practioners, and researchers strongly disagree. Some of the science that points to amalgams as being a source of mercury poisoning can be found here:

http://www.iaomt.org/articles/files/files193/The%20Case%20Against%20Amalgam.pdf

I also recommend those interested in the subject to read Dr. Hal Huggin’s book, “It’s All in Your Head: The Link Between Mercury Amalgams and Illness”.

On the opposite pole, here is the American Dental Association’s Position on Mercury Amalgams:

http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/positions/statements/amalgam.asp

According to Dr. Hal Huggin’s book here are a list of diseases that MAY sometimes be entrained by mercury poisoning:

1. Neurological- Tremors, Seizures, Multiple Sclerosis, AlS (Lou Gehrig’s disease), Alzheimer’s, emotional disturbances, unexplained depression, anxiety, and unprovoked suicidal thoughts.

2. Immunological- Lupus, scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis.

3. Cardiovascular- High and low blood pressure, tachycardia, irregular heart beat.

4. Collagen- osteoarthritis

5. Miscellaneous: Chronic fatigue, brainfog, digestive problems, and Chron’s disease.

I don’t think proponents of this theory are arguing that mercury poisoning is ALWAYS the etiology of the above diseases, but that SOMETIMES it is.

In any case, what are my reasons for pursuing this? I have had a persistent form of insomnia since my early
twenties. I have tried a number of methodologies to heal it. I have had sleep studies performed at the Stanford Sleep Center (one of the best in the world). Based on their assesment, I took their Sleep cognitive-behavior group program, which did not help much. I have tried acunpuncture, homeopathy, various herbal remedies. Some of these helped slightly. Presently I am taking 30 mg of amitryptyline/night. This has given me the best results so far. However, even with this medicine, I suffer from sleep deprivation. Some nights I sleep well, others I don’t. It does not seem consistent, even when I take into consideration such factors as stress.

I have also been prone to nervous afflictions (i.e. anxiety attacks, phobias, etc). While I don’t think mercury is solely responsible for these, it COULD create the environment for them to take root).

A few years back, I had my blood tested for metals and mercury was off the chart. The rest where within normal range, except for iron being a little high.

At that time I did not act upon it, but now I have decided to do so. I DO NOT KNOW 100 percent that mercury is the cause of my problems, but it might be so. In any case,
I don’t think that it is doing me any good in my body. So I have resolved to expend a bit of time and money towards getting rid of the mercury.

To this end, I have begun by getting my mercury amalgams removed. Yesterday, (April 8, 2008) I had half of the amalgams in my mouth removed. Next Thursday (April 14) I shall have the remaining ones removed.

It is important to have your amalgams removed by a dentist
who is specialized in doing so to prevent further release into your system of mercury during the process of removal.
To find such a dentist, go to the International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology website:
http://www.iaomt.org/

There is a list of dentists with the background to do this.

Some of these dentists MAY charge more than regular dentists. Mine does not. In fact, he is even a bit cheaper.

Yea, composite fillings are definitely the way to go. Besides they’re the same color as your teeth so they look better, and they last longer. I know of many dentists that won’t even do amalgams anymore for the mercury reason alone.

You also have to watch vaccines, as many still use a mercury based preservative. I’m not sure what dumbass thought that would be a good idea. A reason why so many kids go retarded, or die right after they get vaccinated. They’re little systems can’t handle so much at once. Of course the medical community won’t own up to any of this.

DJ

In addition to the removal of the mercury amalgams (being replaced by a bio-compatible material), I will do the following to detox (rid my body of the mercury already lodged in tissue):

There are some FDA approved chelators (agents that get rid of metals) such as EDTA, DMPS and DMSA. I prefer to use herbals first and see how that goes:

1. Six grams or more of Vitamin C/day

2. 1 gram N-Acetyl-Cysteine/day

3. Cilantro

4. 4-6 grams of chlorella/day

5. Charcoal

I am also taking psylliusm husk, in order to guarantee sufficient bowel movements.

I will also stop eating large fish, eating only very small fish during this period to reduce seafood as a source of mercury.

I am also considering getting an infrared sauna, though I am not yet completely convinced of the ability of such a mechanism to transport toxins out of the body. In fact, I have my doubts.

I should have gotten mercury levels tested before doing amalgam removal. In any case, I shall get one soon, and periodically over the next few months, so that I can quantitatively measure to what degree my detox is working (or not working, if that be the case).

[quote]djreef wrote:
A reason why so many kids go retarded, or die right after they get vaccinated. They’re little systems can’t handle so much at once. Of course the medical community won’t own up to any of this.

DJ[/quote]

Well, this is the line they’re fed and it just gets passed on to us. I asked my present dentist how come more dentists don’t come out against mercury amalgams. He replied, “they have to get mercury poisoning”. He said that’s what happend to him.

He was your traditional dentist at first. Then one day he started feeling numb, particularly in his feet. At first, it was thought that he had Multiple Sclerosis. Somehow he eventually figured it out that it was coming from the mercury he was being exposed to in his practic as well as his own amalgams. That’s when he started advocating against the use of mercury amalgams.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
In addition to the removal of the mercury amalgams (being replaced by a bio-compatible material), I will do the following to detox (rid my body of the mercury already lodged in tissue):

There are some FDA approved chelators (agents that get rid of metals) such as EDTA, DMPS and DMSA. I prefer to use herbals first and see how that goes:

3. Cilantro

5. Charcoal

I am also taking psylliusm husk, in order to guarantee sufficient bowel movements.

I will also stop eating large fish, eating only very small fish during this period to reduce seafood as a source of mercury.

I am also considering getting an infrared sauna, though I am not yet completely convinced of the ability of such a mechanism to transport toxins out of the body. In fact, I have my doubts.

I should have gotten mercury levels tested before doing amalgam removal. In any case, I shall get one soon, and periodically over the next few months, so that I can quantitatively measure to what degree my detox is working (or not working, if that be the case).

[/quote]

You may want to check your tolerance to NAC. Some folks, of which I am one, have horrible digestive issues with that stuff. I can clear the entire office with just 50mg taken in one dose.

DJ

Google “waiora zeolite”. zeolite clays are used to treat people with heavy metal poisoning. Faster than Chlorella. Not toxic or harmful due to the basketlike structure of the molecules which draws in the toxins and heavy metals and holds them. High excretion rate so it doesn’t stay in the system at all.

[quote]djreef wrote:
You may want to check your tolerance to NAC. Some folks, of which I am one, have horrible digestive issues with that stuff. I can clear the entire office with just 50mg taken in one dose.

DJ[/quote]

Thanks, I will do that. I just ordered the NAC yesterday and should be getting it tomorrow. I will be sure to give it a “test-run” by starting out with a low dose…I will try to make sure that I am alone when I try it the first time :slight_smile:

[quote]skidmark wrote:
Google “waiora zeolite”. zeolite clays are used to treat people with heavy metal poisoning. Faster than Chlorella.[/quote]

I wonder how this compares to bentonite clay. I have some of this latter and was thinking about using it. Anyway, yes, I will google it.

A while ago, I accidentally shattered a large fluorescent lighting tube in my garage (where my gym was at that time). Freaked me out.

[quote]entheogens wrote:

3. Cilantro

5. Charcoal

[/quote]

You might also consider the use of Pyroclay baths and internal consumption. Its a relatively unknown “healing” clay that seems to be quite effective at drawing toxins such as heavy metals out of the body better than your standard healing clays such as bentonite, etc. Pyroclay.com is the site, I use it daily for a good source of trace minerals but it also provides a very potent detoxification effect especially in terms of heavy metal removal.

Heres some intrestinglinks you might want to look at …
http://pyroclay.com/documents/GDVResearchonSacredClaybyLisaTullyPhD_001.pdf
http://pyroclay.com/Dr.CherylFranzePhoto.htm

Also this was taken from the website which I found intresting…
"The Latest Science on Sacred Clay

I recently spoke with Lynda Williams of Arizona State University about her research with the clays and their antibacterial properties. She indicated that there were three clays that successfully eliminated the buruli flesh-eating bacteria. Others did not.

One was an Illite Clay also known as a French Green, but the location of the deposit was unknown. (A second French Green Clay did not eliminate the bacteria).

The second successful variety was a Calcium Bentonite from only one source, but again, the exact location of the deposit was unknown.

The third variety was our Pyrophyllite Clay - otherwise known as Sacred Clay, the source of which is drawn from the above mentioned region near Crater Lake, Oregon. None of the other clays she tested were successful at eliminating the buruli bacteria. "

Mercury may be similar to lead which gets stored in bone. Bone is continuously turned over and that puts lead back into circulation again. The point of this is that you can’t get rid of somethings with a single treatment. Blood levels can be pulled low, but after time will increase again. It may take years to “get the lead out”.

Many chelation agents are not specific and you can lower some mineral levels too much. These may need to be supplemented between treatments. Which suggests that taking something every day may have an adverse effect. You may want to avoid mineral supplements when chelating to avoid reducing the effectiveness of the treatment.

Acute toxicity can be treated in short order. Chronic toxicity gets into the bones and other tissue and cannot be fixed quickly.

You might also want to take a look at this article:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/mercury.html

Here is a podcast explaining this issue:

You can either read or listen to it.

In short, you probably don’t need to worry about mercury detoxification.

[quote]djreef wrote:
You also have to watch vaccines, as many still use a mercury based preservative. I’m not sure what dumbass thought that would be a good idea. A reason why so many kids go retarded, or die right after they get vaccinated. They’re little systems can’t handle so much at once. Of course the medical community won’t own up to any of this.

DJ[/quote]

Thiomersal was removed from childrens vaccines in 1999, since then Autism have soared. It is very unlikely that it has anything to do with autism. In fact it was the medical communities precautionary measure to remove thiomersal that lead to public outcry that it caused autism.

[quote]entheogens wrote:

3. Cilantro

5. Charcoal

[/quote]

Chlorella is loaded with iron though. Have you looked into IP-6?

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:

Chlorella is loaded with iron though. Have you looked into IP-6?[/quote]

I hadn’t thought of this. Tell me about IP-6?

I have decided that I am going to get medical assistance on the chelation bit. Have an appointment for the 29th April. Probably will get on DMSA and have occasional EDTA IV drips. Anybody had experience with this?

Just the fact that Chlorella is full of iron (something I would rather not load up on, since I already have too much) shows that I don’t know what I am doing :slight_smile:

[quote]Undone wrote:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/mercury.html[/quote]

That is a very good website.

[quote]Undone wrote:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/mercury.html[/quote]

Thanks. I’ve read the pros and cons regarding this issue, and I agree with those who argue that amalgams do leech into the system and cause toxicity.

However, perhaps your link will help those undecided to weight the issue for themselves.

[quote]anoddparadigm wrote:
djreef wrote:

DJ

Thiomersal was removed from childrens vaccines in 1999, since then Autism have soared. It is very unlikely that it has anything to do with autism. In fact it was the medical communities precautionary measure to remove thiomersal that lead to public outcry that it caused autism. [/quote]

Wrong - they stopped putting it in new vaccines, true, but there is a whole backstock of thimerosal-laden vaccines still in the warehouses that the pharmaco’s are allowed to sell and ARE trying to sell. So you must ask before receiving any vaccine whether it has the compound in it or not.

[quote]anoddparadigm wrote:
Undone wrote:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/mercury.html

That is a very good website.[/quote]

Actually that is an absolutely horrendous website… totally anti-alternative. Now dont get me wrong, their are plenty of hucksters out their looking to make a buck promising everything under the sun… but this site is so g-d damn mainstream medicine that if anything deviates from the supposed superiority of “Modern Medicine” (meaning drugs, surgery, chemo, etc…) than its a scam, quackery, or total horseshit.

Suffice to say, Stephen Barret is a fucking idiot.