"The Memo"; Your Thoughts

Episode 1 will have most of that info. The south was essentially ‘All in’ for Succession’. Only 1/3 of the pop owned slaves. But they saw it essential to their economy regardless. They were a proud folk.

@anon50325502 any chance a vote like that actually happened? I’m not aware of one but I’d be genuinely interested to learn about it

So your link doesn’t speak of a vote the south took to allow its people the vote on whether or not to secede. Nor does google. So when you said

I was expecting that a vote was in there and I’d be proven wrong, and that the South didn’t ignore the rights of their people and deny them a vote.

Turns out I was wrong about being wrong. Silly me. Starting to feel like I’m being trolled tbh

How is not voting a vote for or a vote against someone?

I was gonna circle back to this but USMC didn’t get back yet. Fundamentally, not voting isn’t a vote against the winner anymore than it’s a vote in favor of the winner (another common phrase).

edit: this weird little picture thing is a link. it doesn’t seem to like wiki file links

The county breakdown flaws aside, the south isn’t DROWNING in votes against the party trying to end/curtail slavery. It’s largely Dem, but it’s a massive shift from the election prior (RIP, whigs).

I doubt it. They didn’t really do those types of things back then.

Quick search came back with this https://civilwartalk.com/threads/how-many-southerners-favored-secession.23264/

It’s an interesting take.

As far as the not voting / voting thing, this was a unique situation. It wasn’t just not voting for say Trump or Hillary. It was not participating at all as many Southerners had lost confidence in the union and favored succession. So not participating in such a large scale was essentially a vote against the Union itself.

It’s really semantics. They didn’t vote because they didn’t want to vote because they wanted out. I see that as a bote against the union you see that as just not voting at all. Tomato towmato

1 Like

What I’m trying to discern is did the STATES elect to not vote, or did the PEOPLE? Were the polling stations open and nobody showed up?

I believe SC is the only state that did not hold a popular vote in that election.

Ah you’re right. There’s a county breakdown on wiki I hadn’t seen before (absolutely not drowning in anti Lincoln).

Tbh I’m still not sure how we got onto Lincoln. Given all the shitshow and/or completely stripping some citizens of their vote, it seems like a weird thing to bring up in DEFENSE of the electoral college

1 Like

Lol, I just noticed you and Pat talking past each other and thought I’d try and help out!

2 Likes

Nah I fully understand most of what Pat was saying. It was pretty skin deep. I just don’t see the connection between all of it and “this is why the electoral college is better than the popular vote” as he brought it up.

1 Like

Like, felons?

Nope, like law abiding citizens whom had yet to break the social contract that allows for having their votes stripped

Outrageous. Is that really happening?

Currently? Not that I’m aware of

Okay. I must have misunderstood what you were trying to say.

1 Like

Well, you told me to google it last time I asked you to prove something. So, google it. I provided a history of the secession movement.
I am not sure what kind of ‘voting’ you are talking about. As far as I know there was know single ballot. But the south, by and large were all in for secession. Both slave owners and non-slave owners.
You may wonder what a non-slave owner had to gain… It was the economy it provided.

It was the only complete state as they were the first to secede. There were many counties other states that didn’t bother.

Lol guess I’ll take your word for it. Good chat