T Nation

The Measure of a Man is What He Does With Power.

I figured you all would appreciate this video. It’s a 13 minute short film about Craig MacLean’s training for the Olympics. He went on to win the silver at Sydney in 2000. I’m getting into velodrome racing and I came across this while doing some research. You’ll notice that in general track racers are not skinny dudes. On a track forum someone asked what weight training they should be doing and the response from everyone was “squats, deadlifts, and cleans.” It’s a comical juxtaposition to the responses I’ve read on triathlon forums which are vehemently against lifting heavy.

Track racing is really impressive to see in person. The difference between track racing and triathlons is like the difference between 100 meter sprints and marathons. Plus there was one racer who had an epic beard. Unfortunately I’m completely blanking on who he was right now.

[quote]gt8006b wrote:
Track racing is really impressive to see in person. The difference between track racing and triathlons is like the difference between 100 meter sprints and marathons. Plus there was one racer who had an epic beard. Unfortunately I’m completely blanking on who he was right now.[/quote]

Those are Chris Hoy’s legs aren’t they? The guy’s a fucking powerhouse. You actually see him do a squat in his Bran Flakes advert.

Bran Flakes + Squats = Olympic Gold?

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]gt8006b wrote:
Track racing is really impressive to see in person. The difference between track racing and triathlons is like the difference between 100 meter sprints and marathons. Plus there was one racer who had an epic beard. Unfortunately I’m completely blanking on who he was right now.[/quote]

Those are Chris Hoy’s legs aren’t they? The guy’s a fucking powerhouse. You actually see him do a squat in his Bran Flakes advert.

Bran Flakes + Squats = Olympic Gold?[/quote]

I was at a strength/conditioning course recently and one of the guys taking it works for the scottish sports institute. He said that Hoy squatted 250 - 270kgs for reps just before a major championship.Beastly for a 90 - 95kg cyclist.

[quote]Ryu wrote:

[quote]Magicpunch wrote:

[quote]gt8006b wrote:
Track racing is really impressive to see in person. The difference between track racing and triathlons is like the difference between 100 meter sprints and marathons. Plus there was one racer who had an epic beard. Unfortunately I’m completely blanking on who he was right now.[/quote]

Those are Chris Hoy’s legs aren’t they? The guy’s a fucking powerhouse. You actually see him do a squat in his Bran Flakes advert.

Bran Flakes + Squats = Olympic Gold?[/quote]

I was at a strength/conditioning course recently and one of the guys taking it works for the scottish sports institute. He said that Hoy squatted 250 - 270kgs for reps just before a major championship.Beastly for a 90 - 95kg cyclist.
[/quote]

Was that Gill Stevenson?

Awesome video.


I’m saving the link to use that video as pre-ride motivation. I’ve watched a few times now and it gets better each time.

More Chris Hoy

http://www.youtube.com/v/Jn9xNdWC3LA&hl=en_US&fs=1&