T Nation

The Masters

I'm stoked.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2427898-dream-leaderboard-set-for-sunday-at-2015-masters-after-saturdays-star-surge?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Spieth's caddy lives about a driver, three wood, wedge down the road from us and his wife was my boy's Kindergarden teacher; Spieth is also from Dallas, where my wife is from and my Boy was born. So they are both into the tourney and have a rooting interest for once.

I've always been a big fan of Lefty and he's in the hunt. I'd love to see him pick up his 4th Green Jacket.

Anyway, it should be a great Sunday.

Watched most of yesterday, have been watching since last 2 groups teed off today.

I don’t watch much golf but I try to catch the majors every year.

Pissing matches about what’s a “sport” aside, it’s amazing what professional golfers can do.

I love the mix of guys in contention. Spieth, the young gun. Justin Rose, once a young gun himself who nearly won the British Open as an amateur, with a major title of his own just a few years ago. And of course Mickelson lurking. This is great.

Glad to see Spieth close it out.

Another sunday meltdown might’ve been disastrous for the youngster’s psyche.

Used to watch McIlroy when I was in college and just think “He’s winning PGA tournaments and I’m just trying to stay on the team, what the heck am I doing with my life?” Glad Spieth is doing awesome.

[quote]chillain wrote:
Glad to see Spieth close it out.

Another sunday meltdown might’ve been disastrous for the youngster’s psyche.
[/quote]

I agree. I kind of wanted Rose or Phil to make a run so 16-17-18 would feel really exciting (one of the coolest things in sports is seeing someone make a huge run on the back 9 of a major, IMO) but ultimately I still wanted Spieth to win unless Phil did something insane like shoot 29 on the back 9. I wanted someone to take it from him, if anything, not for him to choke it away.

He’s darned impressive. I hope he carries on.

The kid seems like he’s the real deal and it was awesome to see him close it out like a real winner should.

On a local note, his Caddy is going to be treated like a rock-star at Chamber’s Bay.

Impressive young guy. Wish more professional athletes would take notes on how he conducts himself.

I was there on saturday! A buddy’s mom of mine won a lottery for tickets and couldn’t go that day. It was one of the most beautiful works of landscaping and greenery I’ve ever seen. The TV gives it zero justice. Like I literally almost shed a few tears it was that gorgeous of a golf course.

There was easily 100,000 people there towards mid afternoon. I saw some wild shots. One thing that really surprised me was how fucking loud it was. At times it felt like I was in an NFL stadium. I don’t know how they could focus, but I guess that’s why they’re professionals. The greens are just insane. Literally like 5ft drop offs. It’s actually very hilly as well. Bubba Watson smashed at least a 330 yard drive but it had to of rolled a good 80-100 yards down the hill. Incredibly long course too. Beer and food was surprisingly cheap though.

I understand now why so many pros have dreams of winning there. It’s such a beautiful, yet difficult course that it creates a unique feeling.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Steez.

One of my college buddies and I have always talked about the Masters, and the grounds at Augusta, in such reverential tones. We were freshmen in college, rooming together, watching on my 12 inch TV set, when Tiger hit the famous chip on 16. As excited as I’ve ever been watching a sporting event where I had no immediate rooting interest.

I’m glad to hear someone confirm it’s really that cool in person. Me and my college pal may actually make a guys’ weekend of of one of these years. Thanks for sharing.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
Thanks for sharing your experience, Steez.

One of my college buddies and I have always talked about the Masters, and the grounds at Augusta, in such reverential tones. We were freshmen in college, rooming together, watching on my 12 inch TV set, when Tiger hit the famous chip on 16. As excited as I’ve ever been watching a sporting event where I had no immediate rooting interest.

I’m glad to hear someone confirm it’s really that cool in person. Me and my college pal may actually make a guys’ weekend of of one of these years. Thanks for sharing.[/quote]

No problem. It was an experience of a lifetime even if you don’t golf or follow golf at all.

I saw Spieth’s hit a woman in the neck on 18. Then make an incredible full swing flop shot over the corner of the bunker. I remember watching his swing and thinking “holy hell he’s gonna crush this”. The control these pros have is remarkable.

Cameras or any recording devices are unauthorized. Which is why the only real footage you see is when the pros come to town. It keeps the mystery alive. I like that about it.

If you enjoy the sport of golf, Augusta National should be on your bucket list of places to visit.

P.S. I’ll also be going to TPC Sawgrass in may.

Steez is correct. I went there a few years ago to a practice round. TV does not do justice to what you see in person. The changes in elevation are astonishing. The condition of the course is unreal. I made it a point to look for a weed, just one. Nothing. Not even in the areas around the fences. It’s all rye and bent grass. I understand it was even more beautiful when everything was mown the same height before they added the second cut. For someone who loves the game, it is a near religious experience.

I’ve heard that the course is only good for the Masters and the dry summers make the place rough for most of the season. Is that true? It looks so amazing on TV, I can’t imagine how it must be in person.

[quote]JLD2k3 wrote:
I’ve heard that the course is only good for the Masters and the dry summers make the place rough for most of the season. Is that true? It looks so amazing on TV, I can’t imagine how it must be in person.[/quote]

It’s true. You should google it. There are aerial videos and photos of what it looks like in the summer time. It looks like your local muni. The reason it is in such good shape this time of year is over seeding. Everything is rye grass, (except the greens, which are bent) which dies off in the summer time. I think the course actually closes down shortly after the tournament.