The Man Whose Arms Exploded

[quote]legend wrote:
the documentary makers weren’t worried about the facts getting in the way of a good story.
[/quote]

This is true of 90% of what’s on the air.

Kill your TV.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ZEB wrote:
Think tank fish wrote:
Did anybody see this? It features greg valentino who was interviewed on this site in an article called the “most hated man in bodybuilding”. This show pissed me off not because of greg valentino I along with 99% of the population think he looked like a freak but the way the entire show made bodybuilding look sadistic,evil and unhealthy when the majority of the world does’nt exercise enough and we have an obesity epidemic. What made me laugh was the fat mom getting anoyed at her son for wanting to be a bodybuilder when she’s probably on her way to a heart condition.

Anyone else see it?

You make some valid points.

However, it could be argued that professional Bodybuilding is “sadistic, evil and unhealthy.”

And…

I don’t think many in the general public are able differentiate between “bodybuilding” as in lifting weights, and what the pro’s do.

At least that’s my read.

That doesn’t justify the ignorance or the media’s mis-representation of it.[/quote]

I don’t think any of us should be surprised by the medias ignorance. When it comes to Bodybuilding they are really no better than the general public knowledge wise. I have been repeatedly disappointed by the media on a broad array of issues over the years.

This is just one more…

You shouldn’t be surprsied by media ignorance. The selectivity of what the media portrays is astounding and extends to all areas of the media. This is just the one time you are aware that it is a selective and distorted version of reality.

Me and my husband watched it. This show ticked me off so much! I was furious watching the whole thing. The fact that they blatantly blame Valentino’s horrific arms solely on steroids and never even mention synthol is disgusting. Anyone who isn’t “in the know” would easily believe the crap that this show fed all the watchers. It’s sad that steroids are so blatantly misrepresented.

The thing that cracked me and my husband up the most is they spent the entire show talking about how horrible bodybuilding is, then it went off and “SuperSize She” came on. It’s a “documentary” type show about this female body builder and how hard she works and how awesome it is that shes so dedicated!

After 10 or 15 minutes we cut it off.
Talk about hypocritical!

He claims to have never taken synth,

this is allegedy quote from Greg:

GV: What it is this: everyone accuses me of Synthol. I don’t take Synthol. I was taking propionate and Equipoise into the muscle itself. Synthol just works one way: it stretches the fascia. With Equipoise and propionate you get the double whammy. You get the stretch from the oil plus you get the localized growth from the drugs themselves.

Synthol is like taking oil without the drug. It’s like taking dead oil ? like buying fake steroids without a drug in there. You can only get so much for Synthol. I’ve got 27-inch arms, what, you think I have seven inches of oil in there? That would be ridiculous; they wouldn’t even look like arms anymore. Listen, I had 21-inch arms before I ever took a steroid in my life.

[quote]electric_eales wrote:

GV: What it is this: everyone accuses me of Synthol. I don’t take Synthol. I was taking propionate and Equipoise into the muscle itself. Synthol just works one way: it stretches the fascia. With Equipoise and propionate you get the double whammy. You get the stretch from the oil plus you get the localized growth from the drugs themselves.

Synthol is like taking oil without the drug. It’s like taking dead oil ? like buying fake steroids without a drug in there. You can only get so much for Synthol. I’ve got 27-inch arms, what, you think I have seven inches of oil in there? That would be ridiculous; they wouldn’t even look like arms anymore. Listen, I had 21-inch arms before I ever took a steroid in my life.
[/quote]

Why would anyone consider anything that guy says as “credible”?

Yeah, i watched. I was getting stoned with this girl, and her uncle died from sudden heart failure, he was a body builder. She hated the program, but watched through morbid curiosity.

Valentino’s a nut job, digging with that needle was sick, and did he even train any muscles other than bis/tris? He was a tiny short guy, who looked semi-built apart from his crazy balloon arms. Then, dealing steroids! What a genius. Bet the police would never suspect him of that.

That young kid- what a joke. I know so many kids bigger than him, who have never lifted a weight before. He’s a little virgin gimp who just upsets his mother and probably overtrains/undereats.

i watched this the other night, first time i think it was shown on british t.v.id seen enough after about 20 minutes.They hadnt mentioned synthol by then and i knew they were not gonna.Bodybuilding has a bad enough name these days within the general public without this shit being aired for all to see and subsequently believe.i heard one guy say “this is what can happen if you bodybuild to much” or to that effect.No this is what can happen if you are an idiot.

Also saw that they managed to get in the clssic “steroids will give you cancer” line too. Ahh the media. Full of shit.

electric_eales wrote:

Why would anyone consider anything that guy says as “credible”?[/quote]

Is anyone?

A woman in work asked me is that what i wanted to look like? I should have asked her does she want to look like a sumo cause she’s halfway there already.

The sad thing about Valentino is that he had a respectable looking physique before he started taking boat loads of synthol.

[quote]legend wrote:
so i’m guessing you like in clowne/barlboro area then, used to see loads of big guys out in Chesterfield, guess they may have been customers of Mick’s[/quote]

Nope fella I live on the other side of the country in the savage land…merseyside

I thought the program was pointless and futile, I thought it applauded him for his synthol abuse and his party lifestyle. The man is a tit plain and simple, he had a decent body before he abused the synthol but then again he isnt the only one who has done that recently… how many very aesthetically pleasing bodybuilders have done that in the last couple of years

[quote]JACKED71 wrote:
The sad thing about Valentino is that he had a respectable looking physique before he started taking boat loads of synthol.[/quote]

yeah thats what I said…erm…

ZEB wrote:
Think tank fish wrote:
Did anybody see this? It features greg valentino who was interviewed on this site in an article called the “most hated man in bodybuilding”. This show pissed me off not because of greg valentino I along with 99% of the population think he looked like a freak but the way the entire show made bodybuilding look sadistic,evil and unhealthy when the majority of the world does’nt exercise enough and we have an obesity epidemic. What made me laugh was the fat mom getting anoyed at her son for wanting to be a bodybuilder when she’s probably on her way to a heart condition.

Anyone else see it?

You make some valid points.

However, it could be argued that professional Bodybuilding is “sadistic, evil and unhealthy.”

And…

I don’t think many in the general public are able differentiate between “bodybuilding” as in lifting weights, and what the pro’s do.

At least that’s my read.

That doesn’t justify the ignorance or the media’s mis-representation of it. In all reality, I do follow bodybuilding and lost interest in “pro” (as in Olympia bound) bodybuilding a long time ago. I have all of Ronnie Coleman’s DVD’s, but that is mostly out of fascination than it is motivation because I don’t want to look like him.

I do focus on NPC contests which seems like the last stage before they take it to the farthest extreme. Instead of the media, or even many who call themselves bodybuilders, focusing on NPC contests and the like that are not in that realm, they CHOOSE to only focus on extremes.

This is exactly what was being argued in that ridiculous poll about who would you like to look like “Brad Pitt or Jay Cutler”. Who would see things in extremes like this when they don’t have to? That isn’t all that is out there and it isn’t even hard to find representations of the lesser gradients. All you have to do is LOOK.[/quote]

I saw this story on TLC a few months ago. His arms were huge in a cartoon sorta way. If the goal was attracting women there’s no way the vasy majority of women would have found that attractive. If it was strength there’s no objective evidence that he could get even a Class I total in his weight class. If it was big arms then he got such an extreme result that it ended up causing him too much harm.

That’s the trouble with extremes. I agree with you about the “extreme” problem that people have regarding this lifestyle. I want to become as strong as I can but I would not want to look like Cutler. If I were to focus on the fringe end of things then I’d end up chasing windmills.

Personally I’m love to have the strength of Kaz and the body of Zane. While Kaz is more of an extreme than Zane, a body like that is also hard to attain and maintain. No matter how that statement is intended people out there will assume that roids must be part of the game or that I have some wish to be a freak. That is so, in my view, because of shows like that and the one “Supersize She” that outlined the life of a female BB. She looked like a man who had “the operation.” That is also an extreme.