T Nation

The Man Whose Arms Exploded

Did anybody see this? It features greg valentino who was interviewed on this site in an article called the “most hated man in bodybuilding”. This show pissed me off not because of greg valentino I along with 99% of the population think he looked like a freak but the way the entire show made bodybuilding look sadistic,evil and unhealthy when the majority of the world does’nt exercise enough and we have an obesity epidemic. What made me laugh was the fat mom getting anoyed at her son for wanting to be a bodybuilder when she’s probably on her way to a heart condition.

Anyone else see it?

I watched it tonight and completely agree with what you say, esp the part about the kids mother, I sat shaking my head in disbelief throug the majority of it!

i saw it a few months back.I also saw a steriods thing on MTV,a guy juiced for 2 months and only added 25lbs to the chest press machine…he started with only 1 45lb plate…so he quit juicing and working out all together

Is the title actually, The Man Whose Arms Exploded? Is it a documentary or a movie or some sort of a tv show?

[quote]superdad4 wrote:
Is the title actually, The Man Whose Arms Exploded? Is it a documentary or a movie or some sort of a tv show?[/quote]

Yup. Thats the title. It is more of an expository look in to the extremes of what some people will do.

I thought it was prety interesting for the most part. Just a little look in to a very sick mind. Valentino seems to totaly get off on being a fruit loop and playing with needles.

The kid with his mom was just plain funny. You could tell he was pushing her buttons and getting her all wound up. It was like he was threatening her with using steroids, and she starts shaking and blubbering like a bowl of jello.

I saw it last night and was hoping someone else on here caught it as well. I hate seeing valentino even classified as a bodybuilder (and you wonder why some people have distorted views). The kid with his mom honestly pissed me off. It seemed to me that he had the idea he can be the next Mr. Olympia as long as he injects enough drugs into his veins. He didn’t seem to be the kind of person to pull off a hardcore and dedicated program for steady results, but someone who will jump to more drugs if he’s not happy with his progress.

That does sound interesting. I’ll have to look for it. Valentiono is a hard one to figure out. It is always interesting to look into his psyche. How was the kid and his mother related to all this? How old would you say this kid is who wants to be the next Mr. Olympia?

I saw it a few months ago. What was the name of the trainer at the end? He claimed he won 21 titles without steriods and even claimed he beat Arnold. Yet, I never heard of him. I always wanted to verify that.

Now I see why I have almost completely stopped watching television. As long as they keep putting CSI on dvd, I guess I will never have to again.

I lasted about 15 minutes of it before screaming ‘its synthol you morons’ at the tv and wanting to rip the head off the weeny dr bascially saying ‘if you take steroids you will die from horrible multiple clich? problems’

My girlfriend then accused me of having sympathy rage…

[quote]Think tank fish wrote:
Did anybody see this? It features greg valentino who was interviewed on this site in an article called the “most hated man in bodybuilding”. This show pissed me off not because of greg valentino I along with 99% of the population think he looked like a freak but the way the entire show made bodybuilding look sadistic,evil and unhealthy when the majority of the world does’nt exercise enough and we have an obesity epidemic. What made me laugh was the fat mom getting anoyed at her son for wanting to be a bodybuilder when she’s probably on her way to a heart condition.

Anyone else see it?[/quote]

You make some valid points.

However, it could be argued that professional Bodybuilding is “sadistic, evil and unhealthy.”

And…

I don’t think many in the general public are able differentiate between “bodybuilding” as in lifting weights, and what the pro’s do.

At least that’s my read.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Think tank fish wrote:
Did anybody see this? It features greg valentino who was interviewed on this site in an article called the “most hated man in bodybuilding”. This show pissed me off not because of greg valentino I along with 99% of the population think he looked like a freak but the way the entire show made bodybuilding look sadistic,evil and unhealthy when the majority of the world does’nt exercise enough and we have an obesity epidemic. What made me laugh was the fat mom getting anoyed at her son for wanting to be a bodybuilder when she’s probably on her way to a heart condition.

Anyone else see it?

You make some valid points.

However, it could be argued that professional Bodybuilding is “sadistic, evil and unhealthy.”

And…

I don’t think many in the general public are able differentiate between “bodybuilding” as in lifting weights, and what the pro’s do.

At least that’s my read.
[/quote]

That doesn’t justify the ignorance or the media’s mis-representation of it. In all reality, I do follow bodybuilding and lost interest in “pro” (as in Olympia bound) bodybuilding a long time ago. I have all of Ronnie Coleman’s DVD’s, but that is mostly out of fascination than it is motivation because I don’t want to look like him.

I do focus on NPC contests which seems like the last stage before they take it to the farthest extreme. Instead of the media, or even many who call themselves bodybuilders, focusing on NPC contests and the like that are not in that realm, they CHOOSE to only focus on extremes.

This is exactly what was being argued in that ridiculous poll about who would you like to look like “Brad Pitt or Jay Cutler”. Who would see things in extremes like this when they don’t have to? That isn’t all that is out there and it isn’t even hard to find representations of the lesser gradients. All you have to do is LOOK.

been on twice this week over here

people at work-ugh did you see that “steroid freak”…etc, the documentary makers weren’t worried about the facts getting in the way of a good story.

whenever steroids appear on TV it always involves some loser, slightly mentally defficient raving about “the gear” No facts or remotely positive message in there at all.

Christ knows why they can’t tell both sides of the story.

The trainer was Steve Mishalik and the whole thing never once mentioned the word synthol or any other injectable posing oil esiclene or whatever…

I know Mick Hart (who was in the video )and his son Chris very well and to be honest even what they said was edited in a way to promote the moronic message of the programme. Mick is one of the most knowledgable indivoduals in the game especially in the use of performance enhancers for a cariety of sports.The film crew were with them for quite a while and have only utilised quotes that support their cause.

I dont agree with what Valentino did but am all for personal choice and the knowledgable use of steroids but this programme was specifically geared (no pun intended) for “shock” value

so i’m guessing you like in clowne/barlboro area then, used to see loads of big guys out in Chesterfield, guess they may have been customers of Mick’s

I agree, I couldn’t stop yelling at the screen “Its not jucie you fucking morons, HIS ARMS AREN’T REAL!” All I got was weird looks from my girlfriend, but even she eventually believed me. The kicker was when he was doing curls and with his arm extended, is bicep hadn’t chenged shape at all!

Let’s get this straight: Greg Valentino is not a ‘steroid freak’ – he’s a ‘synthol freak’ who happens to use steroids.

This documentary was irresponsible in that it attributed Greg’s disgusting arms solely to steroid use.

for those who missed it watch it here:

part 1:

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/16982/The_Man_Whose_Arms_Exploded.html

(does anyone else think Dave talbot is over training?)

part2:

http://www.spikedhumor.com/articles/17027/The_Man_Whose_Arms_Exploded_Pt_2.html

part3:

www.spikedhumor.com/articles/17075/Gregg_Valentino.html

Gregg Valentino’s a crack fiend

[quote]davyk wrote:
this programme was specifically geared (no pun intended) for “shock” value[/quote]

For sure, notice the short clips of a syrienge, watch closely and you will notice that blood is being injected from the syringe, its as if they decided that a needle and syringe was not shocking enough so they added a red fluid to make it more shocking.

Who the fuck injects blood into themselves?