The Lower Back Pain Reference Thread

Having herniated my lower back twice and with the resources of this site have helped rehabbed my lower back to health I would like to make this thread good enough for a sticky on the injury and rehab forum and for anyone with more experience and knowledge to contribute or take over this thread. These are the T-Nation articles that have helped me.

Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION will add more later(If anyone recommends some articles dealing with some aspect to back pain Ill add it to this thread).

Articles recommended by LevelHeaded.

1. The Mobility-Stability Continuum: A New Look At Joint Health by Mike Robertson
    Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION
  2. A Joint-by-Joint Approach to Training by Michael Boyle
  3. Joint-Friendly Training by Nick Tumminello

Personally I think that a single thread dedicatd to low back pain will turn into a mewling, sprawling entity with a life of its own that will chew up individual questions and transmogrify them into unrecogniseable, confusing answers that do noting for the questioners’ knowledge.

I could be wrong, and I do like your compilation of articles.

BBB

Well I feel that this thread should just contain articles about lower back pain from peoples experience and/or knowledge on how to deal with lower back pain so that they will read this thread before posting about their back pain etc…

Joab,
I definitely think this post has great potential to provide help to those suffering from LBP, but I have to agree with BBB that it is more likely to become very confusing if people were to start throwing in questions and getting random answers. At the same time, I do very much like the idea of posting the articles as references and think the ones you have posted are a great start. Below are several articles I think would be very helpful to those with LBP.

As a preface to the first two articles, LBP is a very complex issue, as is pretty much most every injury. There are so many factors that can go into it, from the hip to the knee to the ankle to the T-Spine, stiffness vs mobility, etc. I am a big advocate of addressing the body as a whole, rather than individual injured body parts. Got low back pain, just don’t look at the low back. These 2 artciles do a great job of explaining how to analyze the body as a whole in the mobility/stability continuum.

1. The Mobility-Stability Continuum: A New Look At Joint Health by Mike Robertson
  2. A Joint-by-Joint Approach to Training by Michael Boyle

Also, most people with LBP are looking for advice on to how to continue training in some capacity until they address their limitations causing their LBP. This article does a great job of giving examples of how to work around specific injuries during training, including the low back.

1. Joint-Friendly Training by Nick Tumminello

All are great articles and I hope they help out!
-LH

Yeah I would rather have this as a reference thread than a thread for people to post about their back problems, ill add your articles to my first post.

Maybe change the title to ‘the back pain reference thread’.

BBB

BUMP

BUMP

[quote]LevelHeaded wrote:
BUMP[/quote]
This.