The Look

I look at the guy in the squat rack and he’s about to give it everything he has.

He breaks at the hips, the first 4 come up pretty good, he tells his spot one more. Goes for 5, then 6, and then down he goes for his 7th rep. His face is bright red, veins are popping out of his neck and his eyes are literally bulging out of his head. The 7th rep goes up, he is shocked and stunned that just happened.

But the look he had was something else, it was beyond anything I have ever seen. Hard to explain, but it was focus and drive a look of utmost intensity, a look that says there are no excuses for failure.

I read an article a while back that said that the look a power lifter has before a big lift is something only another power lifter can understand.

I’m not saying I’m a power lifter, what I’m saying is that look tied everything in place for me, a certain realization of what it takes, the mental aspect that is needed to be successful, to be the best. This is what that look meant to me. I’ll never forget that look, looking in the mirror and finally knowing what it took, and what its going to take.

Thank you squats, I will forever be indebted to you.

What about all the fellow T-Nation members, have you ever had the look?

Dude, I would think that if you DON’T have “the look” then you are probably on the wrong website.

Ya know, Prof…I just noticed the little guy in your avatar at the far right. Kinda funny. As for “the look”, most people who take this shit seriously have it. Again, lifestyle, not a hobby.

4 Words. I’m not sure about how I look coming out of the squat rack. But I can tell you the words I said to myself the first time I backed out with 600 on my back, and have been saying them every time I have a max effort in front of me.

4 Words - “THIS FUCKER WILL MOVE!”

[quote]four60 wrote:
4 Words. I’m not sure about how I look coming out of the squat rack. But I can tell you the words I said to myself the first time I backed out with 600 on my back, and have been saying them every time I have a max effort in front of me.

4 Words - “THIS FUCKER WILL MOVE!”[/quote]

I will try that when I max out in a few weeks.

I haven’t seen too many power lifters at my gym lately. I haven’t seen the “look” in years.

I got that blue steel goin’ for me.

http://thm-a01.yimg.com/nimage/a629b2bbb40e389c
I believe that is the look you are referring to.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
I got that blue steel goin’ for me.[/quote]
damn. beat me to it.

Don’t you mean magnum

I want to throw up “La Tigre” but for some reason people are going to say it’s identical to Magnum & Blue Steel.

Whatever… I can turn left.

Back to the OP. Not so much the “look” but the mindset that matters - you have to be able to convince yourself completely you can lift/move/pull the weight or no dice.

yeah, the look, yesyes, alright.

So, jaybvee… your avatar is kinda extremely, very intriguing. Any more info on that (anything!) ?
I have the feeling this might be important.

I’ve never seen my own face while in that zone, but I’ve seen it many times on other lifters: eyes open, intent, focused, yet not seeing what’s in front of them… rather what’s inside.

Sorry Schwarzfahrer just took it from the internet; no name but I would love to find out myself…

As for the mindset; I actually try to be “alone” even if the gym is packed. Nothing but me & the weight(S) in front of me, challenging me.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I’ve never seen my own face while in that zone, but I’ve seen it many times on other lovers: eyes open, intent, focused, yet not seeing what’s in front of them… rather what’s INSIDE. [/quote]

Fixed.

7 reps?

What powerlifter does 7 reps?

[quote]Otep wrote:
7 reps?

What powerlifter does 7 reps?[/quote]

on 5/3/1 it is done

Oh, my bad. Wrong look.