T Nation

The Long Game - a Log

Full body

Waited till the afternoon for this one. Was 1/2 asleep in the morning. It was grey all day, no chance of seeing the sun. It’s getting me down a bit TBH. Things will improve, but slowly. January is never a month I’m keen to live again after I’ve been through it.

All kg
Bench
137.5 x 1,
110 x 6, x6, x5
Rows
Clean and press - 50 x 7, x6
Squat - 90 x 8, 120 x 6, x5
Ab wheels - 9, 9
Side planks - 48s
Normal plank - 22s (Ab wheels taken it out of me)
Pinches - 10kgs x 68s, x again
4/157

So I thought I would try to go heavy with the bench, what with the fact that you’re supposed to be stronger in the afternoon than the morning. The single was a grind - I maybe wouldn’t have got it in the morning, who knows.

So I’m 10kg off my PB of 147.5 now. If I keep up the pace I reckon I’ll be chopping and changing with my PB soon. Maybe in circa 10 weeks’ time, give or take 2 or 3 weeks? I think I can add 1kg per week to the bench.

The weight loss is plateauing, but the waist keeps shrinking, which is good. I must be adding muscle at the same time as losing fat. I’ve set up a really good vector. I just hope I can keep it going, but if I do I’m going to be in prime shape come the summer. I was in really good shape uni days, quite lean, and quite strong. I’m not so lean any more but I’m a lot stronger.

Chicken dinner tonight. Woohoo. Fasting tomorrow.

Full body

kg
Bench - 100 x 10, x 10, x8
Rows
Pullups - 8, 7
Dips - 18
Deadlift - 100 x 8, 130 x 5, 150 x 5, x 4
Ab wheels - 10
Side planks - 50s
Front plank - 28s
Pinches - 15 x 35s
5/157

I struggled to fast at the weekend. My approximate plan was to have one meal a day Saturday and Sunday but it didn’t work out. I ended up having 2 meals each day. I think I’m nearing the limit of body change - if I push it any harder my body will revolt. I think I need to focus on keeping things simple and not expecting too much; slow change.

When I racked the second set on the bench I felt as though I could’ve had one more; an 11th. Still, I improved by 4 reps over last time I attempted this weight, which is great progress. Just trying to keep my head down and keep grinding away. I’m on a rotation, working weights 80kg, 90, 100 and 110. It gives you enough time between attempting the same weight again to make progress. When I was in my uni days I was going heavy all the time. Now I quite enjoy doing the repetitions. TBH I don’t think it makes much difference what weight you choose so long as you lift hard, you’ll get stronger.

I might try a cheeky 140 on the bench Friday. I don’t think I’ll get it, but I can try. Anyway, working up towards that.

In my head I’m wondering how far I want to go with this. I guess I really just want to see what I’m capable of, and get somewhere close to my potential. I will have to be ok with only being able to match last workout’s strength sometimes. It’s already like that on pullups - I find this exercise very hard to make progress on. I think I’m getting slightly mentally fatigued - worked out 5 weeks straight now. I may go easy at some point. I guess I’ll do what I normally do and leave it too late.

Full body

kg
Bench - 140 x 1, 120 x 4, x 4, x 3
Rows
Clean and press - 50kg x 8, x 6
Squat - 90 x 8, 130 x 4, x 4, x 3
Side planks - 54s
Ab wheels - 10,10
Front plank - 32s
Pinches - 15 x 52s
6/157

Had a Big Mac yesterday and lots of icecream, so I thought, what the fuck, might as well go heavy today. I’ve been finding it hard to not eat a lot recently and I’ve been giving in to the urges to eat.

Anyway, very pleased to hit the nice, round 140 on the bench. So I’m on the ‘home lap’, chasing down my old PB of 147.5. I’m enjoying the workouts at the minute. The hardest part is starting, but once you’re into the workout it’s enjoyable.

I just need to keep my head down, not get carried away, and keep grinding. It’ll be great if I can hit 150kg soon. I’m tempted to print that out and put it up on the wall next to an Arnold poster, hehe.

This could be a really good year provided I don’t fall off the wagon, and just keep up. No reason I can’t for the time being.

Full body

kg
Bench - 90kg x 16, x13, x10
Rows
Pullups - 8, 7
Dips - 19
Deadlift - 100 x 8, 130 x 5, 150 x 6, x 5
Plate pinches - 15 x 60s, x 42s
Ab wheels - 11
Side planks - 57s
Front plank - 35s
7/157

A good workout. Just dreaming of hitting 150 on the bench these days. It’s a realistic goal. I think not thinking too far ahead is good.

Full body

Bench - 142 x 0, 110 x 8, x7, x 5
Rows
Clean and Press - 50 x 9, x 7
Squat - 90 x 8, 130 x 5, x5, x3
Ab wheels - 12
Side planks - 62s
Plank - 39s
Pinches - 15 x 65s
8/157

Quite a long workout today. I wasn’t far off getting 142 - I got it half way up but I think I missed the groove a little bit. I did try after the first working set at 110 but was nowhere near that time.
I don’t mind missing the attempt. I know where I am now - somewhere between 140 and 142. It’s gonna be a grind to get up close to the old PB of 147.5. But it should come in time. I’m well settled into my workout routine now and it doesn’t feel like I’m gonna miss a workout anytime soon. 2021 could be a really good year if I keep it up. If I don’t ever miss a workout I will surely get close to my peak wherever that is.

I reckon I might be chopping and changing with my old PB on bench by the end of February. We will see.