T Nation

The Logic of This Program?

can anyone understand the logic of this programme?

basically its like the gbc 6-12-25 but using one big lift
here it is
chest- dbell press 6 reps, 15 s rest, dbell press 12 reps 15s rest, dbell press 25 reps then fiv min break! repeat four times

legs- front squat 6 reps, 15 s rest, front squat 12 reps 15 s rest, front squat 25 reps then 5 min break! repeat 4 times

back- parralel chins 6 reps, 15 s rest, lat pull down 12 reps 15 s rest, lat pulldown 25 reps,
5 min break! repeat 4 times

cheers

What part don't you understand?

(gotta say, I don't see why on earth you'd need to repeat all of that 4 times, but whatever)

the fact that its just one excercise on each day done repeatedly

To be honest, that routine doesn't make much sense whatsoever... You're not going to make all that much progress strength-wise on it, it leaves out vast parts of the body more or less etc...

I'd stick with something simple and proven to work. Check the "best of T-Nation" sticky thread and read some of the threads referenced there-in or so...

Where'd you get that routine from, anyway?

im working with a coach,
thanks

Are you an athlete then? In that case, the conditioning or powerlifting (etc, whatever fits) subforums may be a better place to look for advice.

Still, even for athletes I don't see the point in that kind program...

The "logic" is lactate accumulation. Poliquin used it with three different exercises for the rep ranges. I feel like it's a good tool for density and bodybuilding.

CT has also written about it. Whats your sport?

Ah, Poliquin... It had to be something like that, huh.

What makes you say that it's a good tool for density (what kind?) and bodybuilding? Especially the program in question?

the lactate acid is supposed to stimulate increased GH release...and GH enhances fat loss....

standard bodybuilding training probably does the same thing but better lol...

The program actualy is a tactic used for MMA and Wrestling. It is to basically start with a heavy effort, and using the rest-pausing scheme, to keep doing reps in spite of the accumulation of fatigue on the muscle, by reducing the stress and tension through decreasing the weight, but augmenting the number of reps to have lactic acid pool, for GH release purposes and for endurance as along with what they call "wobbly" isometrics (you don´t hold the weight static at mid-range but you let it do down an inch, then up another one staying within a range of motion that is so limited as to almost be an isometric hold, and explosive+slow partials.

The program is incomplete and you must understand that for these programs, the load selected is designed to be one of two cases:

1-) the heaviest load you can lift explosively (i.e. as fast as if you´d be punching someone with the dumbell you are holding) and such, lowering it according to the final volume..for 4 sets, you can do so as slow as needed to elicit maximal effort tension but not more than the minimal time needed for such (.i.e. you can lwoer in 3 seconds and it's at that point the most stress you can put on the muscle to resist the load, so why go for 4 or 5 even if you can do it) or simply, if you aim to do 7-8 sets total, lower as fast as possible while keeping a decent level of tension.

2-) the heaviest load you can control slowly with maximal focalized tension on the targeted muscle group (i.e. the heaviest load you can move at a slow but thorough pace eliminating all momentum, generally less than 3 seconds on a long Range of Motion or 2 in a short Range of Motion exercises) and lwoer under the same guise as the previous item, sometimes that meaning the negative can be shorter than the positive phase, but not by a huge differential, just 1 second shorter.

I say density because you do alot varying work on the muscle in a short time. For bodybuilding because, depending on weight and conditioning, you can use a relatively heavy load early and then achieve metabolic stimulus from higher rep sets.

I remember a bodybuilding oriented approach, doing trisets with those rep ranges. But I don't know, you're working with a coach and you could've come up with something better...

What exactly are your goals, while working with this coach?

What's your lifting experience level?

Where is your current body composition?

Are your strength levels "decent?"

What's your coach's reasoning for "prescribing" this type of routine?