The Left vs. the Left

My little way of saying thanks for sticking around.

3 Likes

They’re both the same for regulatory purposes. As with drugs.

Safety of a treatment INCLUDES how the treatment is developed/manufactured, handled, and used.

This is no bloody different. Drugs get killed off and delayed all the time due to manufacturing issues, formulation and stability issues (which includes how it is handled in clinic/pharmacy/factory/home), toxic metabolites, you name it. The whole fucking point is that “how they were handled” is PART OF THE SAFETY EVALUATION.

Also, drugs are fucking pieces of cake to figure out compared to manipulating and controlling a living cell line. Drug inhibits a receptor/enzyme, gets a result. It flows over multiple metabolic and neurological pathways–which need to be fleshed out–but essentially a drug behaves very predictably: you take it, it has a half life and binding affinity, is excreted via one or several pathways, and leaves your system.

Stem cells and is infinitely more complex than that for reasons I won’t bother going into since you are too damned dense to understand. Suffice to say, a LIVING treatment is world’s more complex than a small molecule.

2 Likes

You didn’t even bother to read AG’s posts–drugs go through all 3 phases of clinical trials and on TOP of that they continue to monitor them once released. Just like a software program no matter how much beta-testing one does at some point after release there will be an unforeseen bug that was not detected in testing. Most stem cell treatment has not gone through phase 3 trials successfully–and you just saw an example (read: kids dying) of unforeseen problems with a previously approved treatment in the UK.

WHEN AND IF stem cell therapies go through phase 3 trials successfully then the public will be allowed a choice. As it is a) they haven’t made it through yet b) they’re more complex treatments than simple drugs/herb extracts c) we’ve already seen side effects and questions raised.

3 Likes

10 companies gave over $2B to charity.

2015 Top 10 = $2.5B
2015 Top 20 = $3.5B

I can’t believe how much money all these evil corporations give away every single year…

1 Like

So knowing what is actually in the food is of no value? If it were up to the food giants there wouldn’t be any labels and they will try to sell you anything-even if it kills you eventually. Just as long as they can get to your money. That is what they care about. They couldn’t make less in profits and do something honorable. That would be too much to ask and they would not make as much money and that is what counts.

The FDA ostensibly is set up to protect consumers but actually protects markets for Big Pharma. This is the inevitable consequence when you have a government by and for the corporations. Nevermind the revolving door between the FDA and Big Pharma, which ought to be illegal. for obvious conflict of interests.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/322761

So, the government is run by the corporations, the corporations don’t want food labels, and yet … we have food labels.

Corporations run the government to their own benefit, so the government should have more regulatory power and control over individuals.

You are like watching a chicken try to play both sides of a checker board. Very entertaining.

2 Likes

Nice retort, lol…

Wow, what astute criticism. And you have the balls to tell someone else they’re stupid.

Again, this treatment has helped thousands. How many has it harmed comparatively speaking?

The major difference here is that software doesn’t kill people while drugs and the FDA does. But that doesn’t matter as long as there is profit to be made.

Stem cells have been used safely in other countries to help thousands and people from this country leave to get this treatment. Why? Peyton Manning had this treatment done 5 years ago for his neck injury only to come back in 2012 to have one of his best seasons.

A little food for thought. https://therefusers.com/how-big-pharma-controls-the-fda/

How does that compare to the slave wages they pay(Walmart) or the devastation they leave on the environment that effects everyone?

More from the do-good corporations you love so much. World's top firms cause $2.2tn of environmental damage, report estimates | Pollution | The Guardian

Yes, software kills people. Lots of people. It’s a critical safety system for basically all modern machinery. But what would I know, I just design and code software for cranes.

1 Like

Bingo. This is a remarkable dichotomy. Zep, on one hand, you praise the requirement for food labels as a necessity to protect consumers (I agree with this, by the way). On the other hand, you want to get rid of FDA oversight of medical treatments, allowing the consumer the right to choose any old therapy, whether it’s been studied or not. The problem here is that probably less than 1% of “consumers” have any hope of being educated enough to determine whether a medical treatment is safe or effective, including some people who actually study this for a living. That’s why we have the FDA. It’s a consumer-protection agency.

How do you not see the double standard here?

We’ve been over this before.

You don’t actually know that the treatment has helped those people; you’re just assuming it to be true, and hoping that if you state it enough times it will become a fact. However, that’s why we perform clinical trials, to determine whether a treatment is actually beneficial or if we’re just collecting anecdotal examples where the therapy worked (and ignoring the other cases where it did not work). In acute myocardial infarction patients, the body of evidence from 12 randomized trials concluded that cell therapy did not offer a significant benefit.

You keep banging this drum that the therapy has helped “thousands of people.” I really can’t tell if you are incapable of understanding this, or just don’t want to understand it, but controlled research studies are the only way to determine whether a therapy is the driving factor behind clinical benefits. I did not look into all of the different specialties on the cellmedicine page, but in my area of expertise (heart disease) there was only one study that showed a clinical benefit of cell therapy, with the rest being proof-of-concept papers or animal studies which basically suggested that a) it was possible to grow stem cells and b) there might be a biologic pathway through which they could act. However, when I looked further, I found the meta-analysis published in 2015 which pooled data from 12 randomized trials and found no significant benefit.

A large portion of your argument is predicated on the idea that cell therapy is proven to be safe and effective, and that the US regulatory process is holding up its approval. The facts don’t back this up; the US is doing a TON of stem-cell research and, unfortunately, most of it is not working well enough to meet the standard.

1 Like

Oh my fucking God…

1 Like

1 Like

Mental retardation would be my first guess.

2 Likes

Cannabinoids are the new stem cells.

They also explain Zeps posts.

1 Like

Slave wages?? Do you look stuff up before you post? Walmart raises starting wage for department managers, $13/hr | Monster.com

Not only are they being payed extremely reasonable wages but Walmart also doesn’t force people to work for them.

2 Likes

Yes. Exactlly…

Corporate control is not monolithic. Just because we have labels on food doesn’t mean the food giants aren’t trying to get rid of it. All one has to do is look at the GMO fight. Labeling came into effect, well here is a history.Lose weight & improve your health with a real food diet | Fooducate This began some time ago when corporations were far less powerful and had less financial influence in politics. And how much of this would continue if it wasn’t for consumer-advocate groups applying pressure and just left up to the food giants and the politicians they buy?