The Left Lane is for Passing, Idiot

I drive from College Station to my hometown by Dallas about once a month.

Most of the drive is 4 lane highways, 2 lanes in each direction.

I do not understand what is the problem with these people who want to go BELOW the speed limit in the left lane. In fact, even if they are going the speed limit, if they’re in the left lane and someone wants to pass them, they should get over.

The law in Texas is that slower traffic must keep right. There are plenty of signs posted.

Maybe these idiots didn’t have good parents; Maybe they don’t really have a drivers license; Maybe they’re blind; Shit, maybe they just can’t read.

I don’t care if the right lane is completely open, there is no reason I should have to cancel my cruise control and go around them. They are the ones who have messed up, not me.

I hope that the first born child of all these drivers dies at birth. Then, I want the doctor to come in the room and tell them “Sorry, it was because you are a horrible driver.”

http://www.driverightpassleft.com/laws/index.asp

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
I drive from College Station to my hometown by Dallas about once a month.

Most of the drive is 4 lane highways, 2 lanes in each direction.

I do not understand what is the problem with these people who want to go BELOW the speed limit in the left lane. In fact, even if they are going the speed limit, if they’re in the left lane and someone wants to pass them, they should get over.

The law in Texas is that slower traffic must keep right. There are plenty of signs posted.

Maybe these idiots didn’t have good parents; Maybe they don’t really have a drivers license; Maybe they’re blind; Shit, maybe they just can’t read.

I don’t care if the right lane is completely open, there is no reason I should have to cancel my cruise control and go around them. They are the ones who have messed up, not me.

I hope that the first born child of all these drivers dies at birth. Then, I want the doctor to come in the room and tell them “Sorry, it was because you are a horrible driver.”

http://www.driverightpassleft.com/laws/index.asp[/quote]

Agree.

I also hate it though when I’m in the passing lane going 75-80, passing people, and someone comes up behind going like 95-100 and expects me to move over.

I had to deal with one of those lefters today on the way to work, and the driver was BELOW the limit. I thought the guy was going slow due to traffic in front of him, but when I saw that wasn’t the case, I was all WTF?!?!

[quote]Itchy wrote:
Agree.

I also hate it though when I’m in the passing lane going 75-80, passing people, and someone comes up behind going like 95-100 and expects me to move over.
[/quote]

No, that is not how it works. If someone wants to go faster than you, you have two options: Get over into the slower lane, or speed up.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/music_movies_girls_life/vigilante_slow_driving_in_the_fast_lane

You and sen say might have to duel to the death.

They must be other Aggies clogging up the passing lane…

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
Itchy wrote:
Agree.

No, that is not how it works. If someone wants to go faster than you, you have two options: Get over into the slower lane, or speed up.[/quote]

Is this a serious response? If I’m passing an 18 wheeler, I don’t have the option to move over.

If I’m passing anything, actually, I don’t have the option to move over.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
DOHCrazy wrote:
Itchy wrote:
Agree.

No, that is not how it works. If someone wants to go faster than you, you have two options: Get over into the slower lane, or speed up.

Is this a serious response? If I’m passing an 18 wheeler, I don’t have the option to move over.

If I’m passing anything, actually, I don’t have the option to move over.[/quote]

Yes, it is a 100% serious response. As you have stated, it is physically impossible for you to get over in that situation. Because of that, you only have one option left: Speeding up.

If you can not handle that, maybe you should stay home.

(Yes, I’m an asshole.)

EDIT: On a side note, I am not one of those that drives 100mph. I usually only go 9mph over, BUT, if someone wants to go faster than me, I promptly get over.

[quote]JGerman wrote:
They must be other Aggies clogging up the passing lane… [/quote]

That is one of the worst parts. I see these clowns with ‘Texas A&M’ stickers on there cars, but they don’t know how to drive.

I would think someone who is educated enough to get into a major 4 year university would be intelligent enough to drive correctly.

[quote]Itchy wrote:

If I’m passing anything, actually, I don’t have the option to move over.[/quote]

Yeah, I’d always assumed that proper etiquette dictated that if someone behind you wants to go faster, you finish passing whatever vehicle you’re passing and then pull over.

Don’t hit the brakes and get behind the car (or truck) you’re passing.

Don’t try to pass yet another car before you pull over.

Pull over as soon as you’re done passing the vehicle currently to your right, and everyone’s happy.

[quote]ctschneider wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Yeah, I’d always assumed that proper etiquette dictated that if someone behind you wants to go faster, you finish passing whatever vehicle you’re passing and then pull over.

Don’t hit the brakes and get behind the car (or truck) you’re passing.

Don’t try to pass yet another car before you pull over.

Pull over as soon as you’re done passing the vehicle currently to your right, and everyone’s happy.[/quote]

Everyone except for the poor guy who had to wait an additional 1.22 seconds for me to finish passing :slight_smile:

Seriously, though–if someone rides my ass to try to make me move, the last thing I’m going to do is act considerate toward them.

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
Itchy wrote:
DOHCrazy wrote:
Itchy wrote:
Agree.

Yes, it is a 100% serious response. As you have stated, it is physically impossible for you to get over in that situation. Because of that, you only have one option left: Speeding up.

(Yes, I’m an asshole.)

EDIT: On a side note, I am not one of those that drives 100mph. I usually only go 9mph over, BUT, if someone wants to go faster than me, I promptly get over.
[/quote]

The last thing I’m doing is driving faster and being more likely to get a speeding ticket.

Move over at your first opportunity, other than that, just drive.

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
Itchy wrote:
DOHCrazy wrote:
Itchy wrote:
Agree.

(Yes, I’m an asshole.)

[/quote]

So do I generally. But I don’t floor it and get up to 100 mph just to pass the hypothetical 18-wheeler in what the driver behind me considers to be a timely fashion.

Why would I risk a ticket because someone else is in a bigger hurry than me?

The left lane is for passing. It isn’t for just going as fast as you want.

dont ever come to Mass then.

i swear if i had a gun, there would be mass murders each day on my way home from boston.

In Delaware, nobody passes each other… ever. It doesn’t matter if there are 4 lanes in each direction, everyone drives beside each other 5 mph under the speed limit. I dread any time I have to drive through that state… we should give it back to the British.

It’s worse when both lanes are blocked by two cars going at the same (slow) speed.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
DOHCrazy wrote:
Itchy wrote:
DOHCrazy wrote:
Itchy wrote:
Agree.

(Yes, I’m an asshole.)

The last thing I’m doing is driving faster and being more likely to get a speeding ticket.

Move over at your first opportunity, other than that, just drive.[/quote]

Depends on the level of ass riding going on, if the guy is a little too close but not being blatent, then I move over. I drive 5-9 over the speed limit myself so it’s not like i’m driving rediculously slow. But if the person is on my tail in a very unsafe manner, like if I have to brake he is going to rearend me, then I usually brake check them lightly. I don’t do a full brake check where I slow down alot, just a touch so the brake lights go on. If they back off, I will also then pull over as soon as I passed the vehicle I’m passing (or line of vehicles if I can’t safely pull in between the one i’m passing and the next one). If they don’t take the hint and continue to tailgate me or make any other gestures that are offensive, I stay fucking right in that lane. Let them pass me on the right if they are going to drive like a crazy fuck.

That being said, if someone is in the passing lane doing 50 or 55 in a 55, ESPECIALLY if they are outside of another car and NOT passing them, I will give them the horn or the flashing lights. I don’t tailgate because it’s not safe to do.

V

driving in MA or nearly anywhere in New England is always an adventure. but it is common courtesy, that if someone catches you from behind, to just move over and let them pass.

in general, the left lane should only be used for passing and should be reserved for those going 10+ mph over the speed limit. if you want to go slow, go slow in the slow lanes.

dunno why this is so hard for people to understand.

[quote]Itchy wrote:

So do I generally. But I don’t floor it and get up to 100 mph just to pass the hypothetical 18-wheeler in what the driver behind me considers to be a timely fashion.

Why would I risk a ticket because someone else is in a bigger hurry than me?

The left lane is for passing. It isn’t for just going as fast as you want.
[/quote]

Actually you should be going faster when you pass. “cruise control passing” (where you don’t speed up just move left and slowly pass) is very dangerous, especially if it’s a truck on the right you don’t want to spend any more time next to him than you have to. A sudden gust of wind can push it over a couple feet, or maybe he can’t see you in his mirror, you don’t know what is going on.

Passing too slow is much more dangerous than passing quickly then getting back over.

In IL they passed a law a few years ago saying you need to hurry up and pass and get out of the left lane. This is of course ignored near Chicago, but in the rest of the state that is rural it is kept.