The Last Samurai

The title “The Last Samurai” has nothing to do with Tom Cruise’s character, but the end of the Samurai which ocurred in the late 19th century. This period was also known as the “Satsuma Rebellion”.

I belive this film is loosely based on a an event which occured during this period.

In the Town of Kumamoto, 200 samurai enraged by what they saw as the abandonment of Japanese traditions launched an attack on a Japanese imperial army garrison. They refused to carry guns or any other Western weapons, and used only traditions weapons; swords, bows and spears. They were mown down by the defenders firepower, and the survivors comitted suicide to the last man.

If it takes the name “Tom Cruise” to make a big budget samurai movie, then I am all for it.
I just hooe it does not suck.

hey gang,
I thought the trailer for The Last Samurai was pretty enticing! I’ll go see it. Definetely looks like a epic motion picture and I didnt realize that it was made by the same director as Glory…all the more reason to think it will be a great movie. I dont know about anyone else, but I think the director makes or breaks a movie. PT Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia), Wes Anderson (Bottle Rocket, Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums), Spike Jonze (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation), David Fincher (Seven, The Game, Fight Club, Panic Room), just some of the few directors that, if I know they directed a movie…I’ll go see it. As for Tom Cruise…I didnt like much of his early work, but after Jerry Maguire…I was hooked. Vanilla Sky…absolutely amazing movie and great performance by tommy boy!

Oh crap… You’re so right Tony! I forgot all about Vanilla Sky. Now THAT was an excellent movie. I think Toms best work yet.

Patricia, I am surprised that you didn’t chime in about Frank Miller with your background in illustration. I figured you would be all over that topic. You have seen his work, I presume. ???

jp:

I met Frank about 10-years ago; had him sign my Sin City graphic novel and Hard Boiled books. Also had a great 15-minute chat with him. He was pretty down to earth then, from what I understand now, that’s changed.

I love Hard Boiled, but it’s due to Geoff Darrow’s artwork combined with Frank Miller’s gritty storytelling style. And we all know that Mr. Darrow is the brilliance behind the look of “The Matrix”, due to his exceptional conceptual art, right?

jp: I’m a comic book geek down to my toes. I’ve talked 'bout this stuff ad nauseum. Seriously.