The Last Airbender

By all rights the name of this movie should have been “Avatar”.
I think this will be my favorite movie of 2010. I watched all 4 seasons of Avatar: The Last Airbender. Say what you want about cartoons but, that shit was bad ass. I was really exited to hear about the live action version. From the looks of the new trailer, Shyamalan has captured Ang’s attitude really well.

There is already talk of a trilogy. Has anyone else seen the series?

I walked into Avatar the movie thinking it was The Last Airbender.

[quote]Mikaj wrote:
I walked into Avatar the movie thinking it was The Last Airbender.[/quote]
Lol wot.

I think it looks pretty awesome, surely better than that dragon ball z bullshit they call a movie, I had such high hopes =(

Full length trailer

I blew this show off because it was on Nickelodeon…I got into it after actually watching an episode with my 6 year-old nephew. Then I bought the whole box set and became a bum for a few days…lol. I really enjoyed it. People label it as “Japanimation”…but it’s only inspired from it(which is not a bad thing).

I think people will blow the movie off because of the target demograph of the show(if they even know about it) and/or just make the judgment that it’s just another M.Shyamalan creation. Even so,plenty of parents will be begged by their kids to take them to see this movie. I just worry that humor,wittiness,etc will be lost in trying be “serious” with the movie. Especially,the numerous reminders that Aang is a child…and Sokka is a sarcastic genius.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Full length trailer

I blew this show off because it was on Nickelodeon…I got into it after actually watching an episode with my 6 year-old nephew. Then I bought the whole box set and became a bum for a few days…lol. I really enjoyed it. People label it as “Japanimation”…but it’s only inspired from it(which is not a bad thing).

I think people will blow the movie off because of the target demograph of the show(if they even know about it) and/or just make the judgment that it’s just another M.Shyamalan creation. Even so,plenty of parents will be begged by their kids to take them to see this movie. I just worry that humor,wittiness,etc will be lost in trying be “serious” with the movie. Especially,the numerous reminders that Aang is a child…and Sokka is a sarcastic genius.

[/quote]

Everything you said I agree with 100%

The only issue with the trailer is that it looked deadly serious, and if it is… Then it just won’t be the same. Sokka MADE that show sometimes, just because he was so funny.

Ya, i think they may lose a lot of the silliness but, I think they will sprinkle a little in here hand there. The only thing I was worried about was them keeping Ang’s character. I loved how in the series everyone wanted him to kill the fire lord and Ang just said “look I was raised by monks, I’, NOT killing anyone.” I’m also wondering if Opa is gonna be in it.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Full length trailer

I blew this show off because it was on Nickelodeon…I got into it after actually watching an episode with my 6 year-old nephew. Then I bought the whole box set and became a bum for a few days…lol. I really enjoyed it. People label it as “Japanimation”…but it’s only inspired from it(which is not a bad thing).

I think people will blow the movie off because of the target demograph of the show(if they even know about it) and/or just make the judgment that it’s just another M.Shyamalan creation. Even so,plenty of parents will be begged by their kids to take them to see this movie. I just worry that humor,wittiness,etc will be lost in trying be “serious” with the movie. Especially,the numerous reminders that Aang is a child…and Sokka is a sarcastic genius.

[/quote]

I looked it up…and I think they are leaving Azula (the firelord’s daughter and Zuko’s sister) out of this one…which I hope is only so she can dominate in a sequel.

I was sold on this series as being epic the moment she went insane along with the fight scenes in that episode.

i liked this series as a cartoon, and from the looks of it, i’m going to like it as a movie too.

I never watched the cartoon, but am quite aware of it’s large following, even among adults. I think Shyamalan is a great director, although some of his scripts have been less than great in recent years. Hopefully his take on an already existing story will really turn out well. I know I’m intrigued.

S

I’m hyped to see the movie but I’m worried M.Night might show the characters in a darker light just to make them more badass. I’m feeling Ang’s tattoos tho, good decision to not make them just solid and blue.

So is this gonna be another movie where every Asian character is played by a white person even though the movie takes place in China?

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
So is this gonna be another movie where every Asian character is played by a white person even though the movie takes place in China?[/quote]

It doesn’t even take place on “Earth” so they may get a pass.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
So is this gonna be another movie where every Asian character is played by a white person even though the movie takes place in China?[/quote]

It doesn’t even take place on “Earth” so they may get a pass.[/quote]

Really? Shit, cool. I still have my doubts. I better watch the series first.

Shamalamadingdong does a good job with the dramatic stuff, it’s because 6th sense was such a dick punch that the rest of his fimls in that genre came off as satire.

I’ve got high hopes for this movie, I saw the trailer in theaters last summer when I saw Rise of the Fallen and again when I saw GI Joe… Looked badass on the bigscreen.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
So is this gonna be another movie where every Asian character is played by a white person even though the movie takes place in China?[/quote]

It doesn’t even take place on “Earth” so they may get a pass.[/quote]

Really? Shit, cool. I still have my doubts. I better watch the series first.[/quote]

I’m so disappointed in you right now…buy that shit and watch it…NOW…lol.

When was the water tribe white?

[quote]drewh wrote:
When was the water tribe white?[/quote]

What ethnicity were the water tribe to begin with??? Considering that many of them had blue eyes in the series along with darker skin tone.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]drewh wrote:
When was the water tribe white?[/quote]

What ethnicity were the water tribe to begin with??? Considering that many of them had blue eyes in the series along with darker skin tone. [/quote]

I always saw them as Inuit (Eskimos) with blue eyes. Is anyone really surprised that most of the actors are white?

There eyes corresponded with their nation

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[quote]drewh wrote:
When was the water tribe white?[/quote]

What ethnicity were the water tribe to begin with??? Considering that many of them had blue eyes in the series along with darker skin tone. [/quote]

I always saw them as Inuit (Eskimos) with blue eyes. Is anyone really surprised that most of the actors are white?[/quote]

I wouldn’t go that far to say that most of the actors are white just yet. It’s been noted that the Fire Nation is cast with Indians,Pakistani,etc(who can be called Asian)…don’t know about Earth Tribe/nation.

Maybe the spin on Water tribe will be people of Iceland/Nordic origin…??? But like Prof X said,this isn’t Earth…and with that I don’t think it will be hard to suspend disbelief for the issues with “ethnicity.”