The Kevin Levrone Thread

Besides the physique, Levrone is just a genuine individual, great heart, strong faith, stands up for his beliefs. I think he’s my favorite bodybuilder because of the man he is, and the life he lives despite the incredible physique.

[quote]babaganoosh wrote:

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Just in case anyone doesnt know, he stopped training for a long while, and recently got back into it and you can follow him over at LevroneReport.com

Claims to be all natural, and has completed several milestones already (8 week diet, mass phase, 405 bench, 500 squat)[/quote]

Yeah, there was a post on here about that a while back. DId anyone keep watching after the mass transformation? I stopped, then I went back to look at the site to see what he did next and there were sooo many pages.[/quote]

Here is the “Levrone Transformation” thread from TNation:

I have to admit, the initial phase where he put on muscle was much more intriguing than the following ‘cut’. Still great documentation, though. Informative and fun to watch.

The guys arms in the first pic are unbelievable. They actually seem bigger than his chest (well, in that pic).

[quote]forbes wrote:
The guys arms in the first pic are unbelievable. They actually seem bigger than his chest (well, in that pic).[/quote]

24 inch guns with the muscle bellies attaching at the elbow. Those are some big ass arms.

His current internet vids are good stuff. A newb could do a hell of a lot worse than paying close attention to how he trains and his no BS approach

[quote]B-Man wrote:

[quote]B-Man wrote:

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
Just in case anyone doesnt know, he stopped training for a long while, and recently got back into it and you can follow him over at LevroneReport.com

Claims to be all natural, and has completed several milestones already (8 week diet, mass phase, 405 bench, 500 squat)[/quote]

He’s doing another cutting phase, trying to hit 220lbs I think.[/quote]

Why? Didn’t he hit a lean-with-abs 250lbs at the end of the initial transformation? [/quote]

No, he cut down to 232 lbs at an estimated 4.5% BF, but yeah it still doesnt make sense to me that he is going to cut down again to a lower weight?
[/quote]

Well, I had a quick look at the blog - coincidentally - a day or two ago, and I read a few paragraphs where he was talking about being athletic whilst still being a solid 220lbs (correct me if wrong), so I think perhaps he is trying to have his supplements appeal to the fitness types etc, you know, since big muscles are “icky” and not “functional”.

[quote]B-Man wrote:

[quote]B-Man wrote:

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

Why? Didn’t he hit a lean-with-abs 250lbs at the end of the initial transformation? [/quote]

No, he cut down to 232 lbs at an estimated 4.5% BF, but yeah it still doesnt make sense to me that he is going to cut down again to a lower weight?
[/quote]

Well, I had a quick look at the blog - coincidentally - a day or two ago, and I read a few paragraphs where he was talking about being athletic whilst still being a solid 220lbs (correct me if wrong), so I think perhaps he is trying to have his supplements appeal to the fitness types etc, you know, since big muscles are “icky” and not “functional”.[/quote]

More likely because there are more athletes in the world than bodybuilders. Appealing to a larger market is just good business. Bodybuilders don’t use supplements anyway, they use better stuff, stuff that works

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]B-Man wrote:

[quote]B-Man wrote:

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:

[/quote]

Well, I had a quick look at the blog - coincidentally - a day or two ago, and I read a few paragraphs where he was talking about being athletic whilst still being a solid 220lbs (correct me if wrong), so I think perhaps he is trying to have his supplements appeal to the fitness types etc, you know, since big muscles are “icky” and not “functional”.[/quote]

More likely because there are more athletes in the world than bodybuilders. Appealing to a larger market is just good business. Bodybuilders don’t use supplements anyway, they use better stuff, stuff that works
[/quote]

Wouldn’t say it’s because there are more athletes than bodybuilders necessarily, just that most people don’t want to be huge like bodybuilders; they want to be lean/ripped, fit, and with some muscle… but yeah, you are right, it’s just good business for him to appeal to a larger market which is why he’s doing it, which is what I was trying to get across in my post.

That could well be, but on the other hand he’s also expressed before that he places personal value in being able to move well and to be fast on his feet. In other words, he himself is an athletic-type personality and may well like striking a balance that has him strong and looking great, but also feeling quick.

I’m sure he moves pretty well at the 240 or whatever, and he wasn’t exactly slow in the sprint he had years back with some competitive sprinter, but he might like the quickness and agility he feels at the 220.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:

That could well be, but on the other hand he’s also expressed before that he places personal value in being able to move well and to be fast on his feet. In other words, he himself is an athletic-type personality and may well like striking a balance that has him strong and looking great, but also feeling quick.

I’m sure he moves pretty well at the 240 or whatever, and he wasn’t exactly slow in the sprint he had years back with some competitive sprinter, but he might like the quickness and agility he feels at the 220.[/quote]

I remember seeing that video a couple of years back and all I could say was holy shit!

He also raced Chris Cormier after some show once, would love to see a video of that!

Spandex Levrone (and Shawn Ray) FTW!

Posted by austin_bicep in another thread:

KEVIN LEVRONE

1994 AND 1996 ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER CLASSIC WINNER

"You get as big as possible from becoming as strong as possible. Size doesn’t beget strength; it’s vice versa. When I started lifting, I went into the gym with that ‘How much can I bench, curl, squat and deadlift?’ attitude. That’s when I discovered how fast my strength could increase, and it made me crazy-intense to get even stronger. It was so motivating that I forgot all about building muscles, but that’s what enabled my huge spurt of muscle mass to sneak up on me. Before I knew it, I was a mass monster, and it all came from the following principles.

• You have to lift free weights, and each time, it has to be more than you’re ever been able to lift.

• Always do the basics: bench presses, squats, deadlifts, bent rows, standing military presses, barbell curls and close-grip benches.

• Make sure it’s so heavy that it makes you sweat, grunt and scream. That means you’re forced beyond your limit.

• Never do more than eight reps–and that’s to failure. For your heaviest sets, you should struggle for three or four.

• Don’t count sets; just keep 'em going, increasing the weight each time. If your intensity is fired to its max, you’ll be surprised at how you get stronger with each set.

• People don’t want to train until they get sore anymore.

They train till it hurts, then stop. To get strong, train until it stops hurting.

• Think ‘overload’ for both poundage and protein. My biggest strength gains came from consuming 6,500 calories a day, mostly protein."

^^^

“They train till it hurts, then stop. To get strong, train until it stops hurting.”

this is a great ideology, it cannot be done every workout but to grow you have to push through it some days.

Kevin is one of the greatest in my opinion. his arm shoulder combo is one of the GOAT. he and flex should each have a sandow if not for that ronnie guy. flex beat him the year ronnie got his first, ronnie should have seven sandows.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
His detail and condition in 2002 is insane. Probably should have beated Coleman that year. If his legs were bigger he definitely would have. [/quote]

His upper body is 100% out of control, but his legs look like their from another body. Watching the video again after you pointed that out, you can definitely see that’s why he didn’t take the cake.

I’m not trying to start a rep range argument, but why does he say 8 reps per set? Just because that’s what works for him personally?

That’s a damn great training philosophy though.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
His detail and condition in 2002 is insane. Probably should have beated Coleman that year. If his legs were bigger he definitely would have. [/quote]

His upper body is 100% out of control, but his legs look like their from another body. Watching the video again after you pointed that out, you can definitely see that’s why he didn’t take the cake.[/quote]

Honestly…there is no shock to Levrone’s legs being his weak point.

If you watch Maryland Muscle Machine you will see his intensity in training was far greater on his upper body. He didn’t get anywhere near failure on any of his heavy leg work.

I honestly became slightly less of his fan after seeing that part of the movie. :frowning:

his legs wernt such a weak point earlyer in his career

I wonder how much of the discrepancy is due to his early powerlifting (benching) training (if legs were just an afterthought to a young kid)

S

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Besides the physique, Levrone is just a genuine individual, great heart, strong faith, stands up for his beliefs. I think he’s my favorite bodybuilder because of the man he is, and the life he lives despite the incredible physique.[/quote]

I agree with this completely.