T Nation

The Joke is Likely on You....

The Joke is Likely On You

April 6th, 2010

"This is kind of a spin off of a topic that came up on my board, earlier today and I thought it would be a good idea to touch on here.

If you have spent any time in the gym you have almost certainly encountered the Jersey Shore guys that don’t know what the fuck they are doing. They might be benching or curling or super-setting both, but they are hardly going to be training legs or doing deads. I think it is an unwritten rule that after seeing this, most of us feel compelled to get together and make fun of them by pointing out the stupid shit they were doing and how they have their heads up their asses, etc… After a lengthy conversation amongst our super-knowledgeable friends that NEVER have been in that situation before, we just kind of laugh it off and shake our heads, as if they are such sillies. They must envy the rest of us because we obviously have all of the answers about how to train, get big, get ripped, etc…

Some of the things that they need to be picked on for are things like curling in the squat rack and doing too many cable movements while avoiding the heavy basics. Doing countless sets of bench press and curls but only training legs with a couple sets of leg curls and leg extensions warrants being berated, as well.

And God forbid they ask you a question about training or diet. I mean, who in THE FUCK do THEY think THEY are talking to, ANYWAY??? BITCH, I AM TRYING TO TRAIN HERE!!! I AM AN ANIMAL AND ANIMALS DON’T FUCKING TALK WHILE THEY TRAIN!!! Of course, these comments are never actually spoken but rather these are the responses that are retold over and over when the story is repeated for their brends (bro friends) later in the day. Yes, I combined two words into one trying to be funny and it didn’t work. Hey, they can’t all be gems, alright? My point is that rarely does anyone tell someone else to fuck off when they get asked a question in a nice way no matter how hardcore that person pretends to be so keep your stupid stories to yourself. Not impressed.

Here is the bitch of the irony here people: You are laughing at the Jersey Shore guys and shaking your heads but let’s be real here: They are likely nowhere near as dysfunctional as you are, laughing at them. See, they don’t live for the gym and they don’t stress over the exact exercise to do and the exact rep range and follow it up with a stretch while counting breaths, etc… They don’t race through traffic to be on time for a meal and they aren’t going to pass on fucking their girlfriend for fear they might “go catabolic” from the added cardio. And please, please read this one as it is pretty important: They are likely pulling far more ass than you are. Now, this is where you kind of laugh and deny this but I say it is true most of the time. Those kids have fun in the gym and even though they don’t know what they are doing, they don’t care to. If they did, they would research it, talk to people, get a plan and do it in the very OCD way that the rest of us do it and you would give the meathead nod to them as you pass? still not speaking any words because that isn’t hardcore. No, they are going to get a little pump in the chest and bis and when they go out with their girl for dinner they aren’t going to count calories and they aren’t going to have to hold back a vicious fart while having sex, either. They are NORMAL people. Normal people don’t do what we do so picking on them doesn’t make any sense.

So, my advice to anyone that wants to pick on others in the gym? Ask yourself why you aren’t paying more attention to your own training, first. Second, remind yourself that you are half fucking nuts to live this lifestyle, anyway, and that not everyone cares to be like you no matter how much you think so. And third, if you are asked a question by someone that wants your advice take it as a compliment. No one started out in this game knowing it all. I damned sure didn’t. I stumbled through the gym doing stupid shit, putting myself in harms way and asking every question I could ask of anyone that I thought was big and had something to offer me in the way of wisdom. Lucky for me I wasn’t shot down very often as people back then seemed to want to help so much more than they do today. Not sure where the attitudes changed, either, because in the gym I train in you can get someone’s advice all the time and I don’t train in just any gym, I train at Armbrust Gym in Denver which is arguably the mecca of the midwest. Phil Heath will talk to you for 30 minutes if you get him going and that is DURING his training. I always answer any question that is posed to me unless I am wrapped and getting under the squat bar or something. Otherwise, I will always help when I can because people did that for me when I was starting out.

If you are that douchebag that thinks you are too hardcore to talk to someone while training then I am laughing at you. You are likely kidding yourself and only trying to convince you, and everyone around you, how “hardcore” you are. Bitch is, I think you are the only one that believes it."

Skip

I thought that was pretty cool. I mean, I’m personally of a mind that I don’t need to treat people like shit, regardless of their level of development. I mean, look at that - Phil Heath himself will talk for 30 minutes and that’s DURING his training.

Something to consider, right? : )

“Live and let live I hear some folks say. Be might less fuss and bother if more folks took it to heart.”

This article doesn’t make sense. The Jersey Shore guys, at least The Situation and Ronnie admitted to have taken steroids in the past. Arguably - normal people don’t take steroids or inject themselves to get a boost.

Their motto was “gym-tan-laundry” and they had to do it every day.

Who knows how much pussy they would get if they weren’t being followed by a film crew and didn’t live in a house with a hot tub right next to all the bars.

Pointless and biased article IMO

It’s not really about the Jersey Shore guys Celtics, it’s more of lesson on tolerance and decency. Basically about not constantly going around every moment of your life putting others down.

And for some perspective, the author is a competing bodybuilder and prep coach who’s well respected in the industry, so he’s not just some “little dude” talking out of his ass.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
“Live and let live I hear some folks say. Be might less fuss and bother if more folks took it to heart.”[/quote]

Exactly Irish… : )

Skip is the fucking man.

Are there really people that dickish to others in the gym? I might complain about stupidity I see in the gym, but I’m always polite and if someone asks for help I give it.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Are there really people that dickish to others in the gym? I might complain about stupidity I see in the gym, but I’m always polite and if someone asks for help I give it.[/quote]

I think it is just a need for some humble pie.

I’m pretty sure he still gets annoyed if he has to wait for a group of 4 dudes who are just fucking around, seeing he is a busy guy. I believe his point is, fuck it. Move on and forget them. They don’t want to be you, and anyone that does want to be you (you in the sense of hardcore, competing BB’er) is fucking insane.

So just remember you are an outsider to the real world and it owes you no favors. Being annoyed and complaining about being inconvenienced is one thing, but putting down someone’s goal because it is different than yours, that is bullshit. (Within certain boundaries of normalcy.)

At least that is what I got out of it, and I could be wrong.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Are there really people that dickish to others in the gym? I might complain about stupidity I see in the gym, but I’m always polite and if someone asks for help I give it.[/quote]

I think it is just a need for some humble pie.

I’m pretty sure he still gets annoyed if he has to wait for a group of 4 dudes who are just fucking around, seeing he is a busy guy. I believe his point is, fuck it. Move on and forget them. They don’t want to be you, and anyone that does want to be you (you in the sense of hardcore, competing BB’er) is fucking insane.

So just remember you are an outsider to the real world and it owes you no favors. Being annoyed and complaining about being inconvenienced is one thing, but putting down someone’s goal because it is different than yours, that is bullshit. (Within certain boundaries of normalcy.)

At least that is what I got out of it, and I could be wrong.[/quote]

Makes sense, it’s hard to remember that just because someone isn’t dedicated to lifting intelligently they’re not necessarily a bad person.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Makes sense, it’s hard to remember that just because someone isn’t dedicated to lifting intelligently they’re not necessarily a bad person.
[/quote]

Haha. It’s kind of funny when you put it like that… if a guy is a shitty fisherman, but loves fishing, who’s going to give him shit for it?

If a guy like painting, but isn’t all that talented and just likes to dabble, who cares? Same with writing poetry or building model airplanes or whatever else.

But if you’re lifting a heavy weight off the ground, probably the simplest task in the history of the world… you’d better be hardcore or I wish death upon you.

Kind of goofy way of looking at things fellas…

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Makes sense, it’s hard to remember that just because someone isn’t dedicated to lifting intelligently they’re not necessarily a bad person.
[/quote]

Haha. It’s kind of funny when you put it like that… if a guy is a shitty fisherman, but loves fishing, who’s going to give him shit for it?

If a guy like painting, but isn’t all that talented and just likes to dabble, who cares? Same with writing poetry or building model airplanes or whatever else.

But if you’re lifting a heavy weight off the ground, probably the simplest task in the history of the world… you’d better be hardcore or I wish death upon you.

Kind of goofy way of looking at things fellas…[/quote]

LOL! When you put it like that, it makes me feel kinda filthy.

But 10 to 1 I’ll still get annoyed by the heffer that quarter squats in the smith when I’m trying to get my shoulder pressing in. lol

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Makes sense, it’s hard to remember that just because someone isn’t dedicated to lifting intelligently they’re not necessarily a bad person.
[/quote]

Haha. It’s kind of funny when you put it like that… if a guy is a shitty fisherman, but loves fishing, who’s going to give him shit for it?

If a guy like painting, but isn’t all that talented and just likes to dabble, who cares? Same with writing poetry or building model airplanes or whatever else.

But if you’re lifting a heavy weight off the ground, probably the simplest task in the history of the world… you’d better be hardcore or I wish death upon you.

Kind of goofy way of looking at things fellas…[/quote]

Hey you never know… there might be a F(ishing)Nation where people complain about idiots who use fishing rods instead of catching the fish with their teeth.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]chimera182 wrote:

Makes sense, it’s hard to remember that just because someone isn’t dedicated to lifting intelligently they’re not necessarily a bad person.
[/quote]

Haha. It’s kind of funny when you put it like that… if a guy is a shitty fisherman, but loves fishing, who’s going to give him shit for it?

If a guy like painting, but isn’t all that talented and just likes to dabble, who cares? Same with writing poetry or building model airplanes or whatever else.

But if you’re lifting a heavy weight off the ground, probably the simplest task in the history of the world… you’d better be hardcore or I wish death upon you.

Kind of goofy way of looking at things fellas…[/quote]

LOL! When you put it like that, it makes me feel kinda filthy.

But 10 to 1 I’ll still get annoyed by the heffer that quarter squats in the smith when I’m trying to get my shoulder pressing in. lol[/quote]

I think as long you don’t throw a 45 at her then you’ll be good.

[quote]chimera182 wrote:
Are there really people that dickish to others in the gym? I might complain about stupidity I see in the gym, but I’m always polite and if someone asks for help I give it.[/quote]

This. I treat people how they treat me. If they talk to me respectfully, I’m respectful to them. But that doesn’t change the fact that theres a right way, and a wrong way, to do things.

If people genuinely don’t care enough to learn how to do things the right way, then fine, just stay out of the way of people that are doing it right.

She is actually cute in the face. If she watched what she ate, I’m sure she could land much better quality men.

This should be pasted in all the threads dedicated to showing off how hardcore the posters are. The macho posturing gets a tad embarrassing around here.

“SO I WAS AT THE GYM AND THIS FUCKING IDIOT WAS NOT DIRECTLY WORKING HIS BIS ON HIS BACK DAY WHAT AN IDIOT AMIRITE SO I FLEXED AND CALLED HIM A FAGGOT AND HE RAN OFF AND I USED THE SQUAT RACK FOR SQUATS CAUSE NO ONE ELSE DOES THIS BUT ME”

Just guys blowing off steam.
Better here than an actual GYM. If someone wants to make a thread venting about what pissed them off what is it to you. I see it as a healthy release.

[quote]four60 wrote:
Just guys blowing off steam.
Better here than an actual GYM. If someone wants to make a thread venting about what pissed them off what is it to you. I see it as a healthy release.

[/quote]

Yeah but if shit like this upsets them they have deep problems to work with in the future.

[quote]EurekaBulldogLaw wrote:
This should be pasted in all the threads dedicated to showing off how hardcore the posters are. The macho posturing gets a tad embarrassing around here.

“SO I WAS AT THE GYM AND THIS FUCKING IDIOT WAS NOT DIRECTLY WORKING HIS BIS ON HIS BACK DAY WHAT AN IDIOT AMIRITE SO I FLEXED AND CALLED HIM A FAGGOT AND HE RAN OFF AND I USED THE SQUAT RACK FOR SQUATS CAUSE NO ONE ELSE DOES THIS BUT ME”[/quote]

I’ve seen a shit load of power curtsies, but only a handful of squats…

:wink:

[quote]EurekaBulldogLaw wrote:

[quote]four60 wrote:
Just guys blowing off steam.
Better here than an actual GYM. If someone wants to make a thread venting about what pissed them off what is it to you. I see it as a healthy release.

[/quote]

Yeah but if shit like this upsets them they have deep problems to work with in the future.[/quote]

I disagree, and think you might just be judging the people you are giving shit to for judging.