The Jogging Delusion vs. Skipping Rope?

I just re-read Staley’s article titled The Jogging Delusion.

He writes that jogging is inferior and that there are far better ways to achieve a high level of endurance. I took away from his article, that jogging is inferior because it keeps one’s heart rate at that middle level…not walking and not sprinting.

Can you help me understand why he writes that skipping rope is better than jogging?

When I skip rope, my heart rate gets elevated and then stays at that same middle level during the session. How is this more effective than jogging for 20-30 minutes?

[quote]sbearnso wrote:
I just re-read Staley’s article titled The Jogging Delusion.

He writes that jogging is inferior and that there are far better ways to achieve a high level of endurance. I took away from his article, that jogging is inferior because it keeps one’s heart rate at that middle level…not walking and not sprinting.

Can you help me understand why he writes that skipping rope is better than jogging?

When I skip rope, my heart rate gets elevated and then stays at that same middle level during the session. How is this more effective than jogging for 20-30 minutes?
[/quote]

He is simply jumping on the bandwagon regarding slow steady state cardio being bad, inefficient etc. I hesitate to say this as it seems that some of the authors around here are hyper sensitive, (not necessarily Staley). Also, I have respect for Staley regarding some of his other ideas. But those who choose to throw stones at steady state cardio are simply mistaken.

There is a place in your training for both explosive cardio like sprints and more steady state like jogging (also a myriad of health benefits for a continuous run). For many years that’s all boxers did for cardio. In fact, the great Rocky Marciano would run up to 15 miles each morning before 6AM. And he could also box hard for 15 rounds and was also well muscled.

I am not putting down explosive cardio at all. But as you will find when something is “in” everyone jumps on the bandwagon. And when something is out it is ridiculed as if it has no merit. Much like barbell routines. I’ve lived long enough to see some come into fashion, go out and then come in again. It’s actually pretty amusing.

As for skipping rope it has great merit as well as you are using your arms in the movement and it is also a timed coordinated movement.

You can do more intense or challenging versions of your jump to get your heart rate higher.

Alternate 1 foot jumps, left, right
Alternate, 2 left, 2 right
Alternate feet, high knees

Or you can just jump faster.

Do some set time, or number of jumps. Use whatever jumping style you need to get your heart rate up, higher than you would jogging. Then take a brief rest, and repeat. Do some set number of rounds. Like intervals, or HIIT high intensity interval training. Like ZEB said, this is a popular way to train these days. You can gradually progress by doing more or longer rounds. Or doing the same work, but with a harder jumping style. Or decrease the rest between rounds.

So I guess theoretically you could do a more intense workout, in less time, with less pounding than jogging.

I don’t mean to try to talk you out of running or anything. But jumping rope is cool. Even just as a change of pace, or something to do when it’s raining.

I’m sorry but marginal hated to run. You would wonder why? He would run Sprint intervals in the form of someone throwing a football to him and he would run a pattern. He would also walk a lot according to a biography I read. He was ahead of his time doing this. Now you can understand how he was so explosive.

I think jog is good for steady state heart rate cardio but not for real hiit condition. Jump rope also gets you more agile like gymnast.

Steley seems to deal in absolutes a lot. Aerobic base is the base for all things conditioning but you don’t have to run to develop it.