The 'Iron Game?'

[quote]hoosegow wrote:
Just a casual comment and no offense intended because I respect everyone who chooses to do what we do, but perhaps the point of view depends on level of maturity. I very passionate and dedicated to lifting. I read, eat, research and work my ass off to get better. I’d do the same if my passion was golf.

However, by no means is it my life nor is it a battle or anything else of that nature. It is a very big portion of my life, but it isn’t my life. No one can question my dedication to training. If it was my profession, and I didn’t have anything else in my life, perhaps I would feel different.

Wasn’t it Kevin Winslow (sp?) who got chastised for likening football to a battle - a war? His expression was no less passionate as strongfan15. Ultimately the comment was chalked up to youthful exuberance. Hell, I felt the same way when I was a younger man.

And JayPierce, I’m with you on the 16 year daughter thing. My girl understands that the only rule I have about dating her is that the boy has to have bigger arms than I do. I’m not worried. [/quote]

should I start doing curls again?

People have been bringing up their daughters a lot recently in all sorts of threads.

Haha, this thread is out of control. I have not yet said that lifting is life. You lift FOR life. And you give lifting the creedance it deserves, because being healthy sustains your life. Living clean, healthy, and with wisdom is a MENTAL battle. Especially in a fast food-microwave-instant nation. It is NOT ingrained into sociable acceptable behavior by “normal” people in society (because they are learning to accept and associate good feelings with being UNHEALTHY), but that takes lots of discipline, and guts to live healthfully in the face of burgers, pizza, cigs, donuts, and gallons of alcohol (especially around friends)- not to mention drugs of all variaties. It takes a lot to want to be as strong and as good as possible. But diet and rest are the only two things I mentioned OUTSIDE of the gym. It is a battle. A MENTAL BATTLE! Haha, I’ll never write metaphors again on here.

And the “battle” I referred to is vs. death and a shitty, unhealthy life. I can’t explain it any more. If you still are taking everything I said completely literally, I’ve got some Real Estate for you.

Everything I do is for my family. My wife and daughter are everything to me, and I want to be on this earth as long as possible for them. I’ve never been afraid of death, but I am afraid of leaving them all alone.

My lifting routine is something beyond that, though. I enjoy it. It’s one of the few things I do for myself. I go above and beyond just being healthy.

great post man… i guess we share pretty similar views. and my campus gym doesn’t have a power rack too, only a smith machine. thats damn sad.

Aww, curls, that’s cute. I don’t remember the last time I did curls.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Everything I do is for my family. My wife and daughter are everything to me, and I want to be on this earth as long as possible for them. I’ve never been afraid of death, but I am afraid of leaving them all alone.

My lifting routine is something beyond that, though. I enjoy it. It’s one of the few things I do for myself. I go above and beyond just being healthy. [/quote]

Agreed 100 %.

[quote]masonator wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
I do not think this is a great post. THe self-congratulatory attitude around here drives me nuts sometimes. IT’S JUST - LIFTING - WEIGHTS. We are not an army (and if we were I wouldnt trust 90% of the people on here) and we are not superheroes. You have your own reasons for training, that’s fine.

I think it’s awesome that JayPierce gives so much importance to being able to be physically active in his daughter’s life. But the rest of this is perlor-room semantics. It’s not a game because it’s important?

Football, and dozens of other organized sports are important to the lives of hundreds of thousands of jr high, high school kids and college athletes, as well as a very few, very lucky pros. That doesn’t mean it’s not a game. We need to stop being in such awe of ourselves around here.

I totally understand you point here. I’m not a professional. I am not a soldier. But I understand OP’s point also. Outside of training, I’m a nice, laid-back person. But powerlifting is my PASSION. I know it isn’t everything to most people, but it is to me. Does that mean I think I’m the shit, or some kind of superhuman? No, but I view powerlifting as more than just a game, the same way I viewed football while still playing. Simply put, I will strive to be the best. I probably won’t be the BEST. However, that will make me better than I was.
[/quote]

Also agreed. And in a much shorter post than any of mine

[quote]hoosegow wrote:
Aww, curls, that’s cute. I don’t remember the last time I did curls. [/quote]

I try

[quote]hoosegow wrote:

Hahahah made me laugh. Although, I gotta disagree. There’s nothing less cute (or more scary) then being a linebacker going against a running back with 20 inch and up arms.

Awesome post! I just got home from my leg day, where I almost fell when I took a step down the curb as I left and my leg completely buckled. And you know what? This post makes me want to go right back!

I’ll be re-reading this tomorrow b4 I head to the gym.

Dude its just training, if someone wants to be a pussy let em, it doesnt hurt you any does it? Just let it go. Who cares what the wussies of the world think? Not I, they can call it the rose pedalling for all I care. I can still squish them like a bug, and hence their foolish opinion is of no consequence. And what the hell is wrong with calling it the Iron Game? Its not life, chances are it doesnt put food on the table, and it probably aint going to save your life someday.

Its a hobby, and like TC said in an article once, maybe last week (I lifted today and cant think straight yet), you get something more out of it. Its a spiritual journey, but that doesnt make it life. That doesnt elevate it beyond the status of hobby.

[quote]TheSolution wrote:
hoosegow wrote:

Hahahah made me laugh. Although, I gotta disagree. There’s nothing less cute (or more scary) then being a linebacker going against a running back with 20 inch and up arms.[/quote]

I’d rather go against one with 20" guns than a RB with legs teh size of maurice jones-drew

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
TheSolution wrote:
hoosegow wrote:

Hahahah made me laugh. Although, I gotta disagree. There’s nothing less cute (or more scary) then being a linebacker going against a running back with 20 inch and up arms.

I’d rather go against one with 20" guns than a RB with legs teh size of maurice jones-drew[/quote]

Oh dear God, you’re right

[quote]hoosegow wrote:

Where I train, curls are forbidden. Actually they have never been done in this gym, since it is a home gym in my basement. :slight_smile:

Awww, c’mon. I still do curls twice a week, after my real workout is over

Maybe just because I’m a loser…but I find it’s hard for me to realize there are other things outside of weights. Honestly, I wish life was only training and eating…

[quote]facko wrote:
Maybe just because I’m a loser…but I find it’s hard for me to realize there are other things outside of weights. Honestly, I wish life was only training and eating pussy[/quote]

Thats nice.

Haha, well life IS balance. If you are spending more time in the gym and on this site than you are around the “normal population,” such as friends and family, then something is probably wrong.

Unless, of course, your friends are a-holes, and your family is abusive. Then it’s time to trade up. Haha, that Maurice Jones quote is a good one though.

It’s not a game, we just call it that.

Reference “the Great Game”. That wasn’t really a game either.