T Nation

The Iranian IED's/EFP's?

Just watching Future Weapons on the Discovery Channel the other day – couldn’t help but notice…

Discover Channel: Future Weapons - KRAKATOA (Feb 5, 2007)

A modular system which has an Explosively Formed Projectile (EFP) of Molten Copper, otherwise known as a Self Forging Fragment (SFF) or flying plate, capable of penetrating 2 inches of steel at almost 100m or almost 30cm of steel at close range.

U.S. Displays Bomb Parts Said to Be Made in Iran
NY Times
February 27, 2007
An explosives expert said the components were made to be assembled into the deadly canisters called explosively formed penetrators, or E.F.P.'s, which explode and hurl out a high-speed blob of copper designed to cut through tough American armor.

“I’ve lost good friends to these E.F.P.'s,” said Capt. Clayton Combs, whose unit turned up the cache of weapons. “And the fact that we found these before they got to the side of the road is just a huge win for us…”

But while the find gave experts much more information on the makings of the E.F.P.'s, which the American military has repeatedly argued must originate in Iran, the cache also included items that appeared to cloud the issue.

Among the confusing elements were cardboard boxes of the gray plastic PVC tubes used to make the canisters. The boxes appeared to contain shipments of tubes directly from factories in the Middle East, none of them in Iran…

Items in the cache included the concave copper dishes called liners that cap the canisters and roll into deadly armor-piercing slugs when the explosive detonates…

The History had an updated show (Modern Marvels) about building implosions. The devices they now use are shaped charges that deliver 3 million psi when they explode.

They cut through the steel supports with the same kind of technology. Scary stuff. I wouldn’t be at all suprised to read “Made in Austria” on those devices used on our soldiers.

(Or maybe “Made by Orion”.)

I saw a news report on that story. they were showing the pvc and the boxes. On the side of the boxes in english read: “made in U.A.E.” United Arab Republic.

Interesting.