T Nation

The Incredible Disappearing Ground Beef

Okay, so when I buy ground beef at the store, I typically get them in 1.10-lb increments, or a little over 17 oz.

What’s weird is when I cook it, I end up having less ground beef than when I started. I made some yesterday, and it only weighed out to about 12 oz. WTF?

I do wash it under hot water for a few minutes in a strainer to get rid of grease and stuff, but surely that wouldn’t make a difference.

Any takers?

when you cook it, a lot of the moisture evaporates out of it. that’s what all that steam is coming out of your pan.

That and the fat cooks out, duh.

king beat me too it…How lean is your beef 80/20 90/10?

Well, that makes sense. I feel kind of short-changed, though.

Thanks guys.

Also, I buy whatever is on sale. I’d like to normally get 90/10 and over, but I’ll go as low as 85/15.

I think Prof X took some while you’re sleeping.

Is this a serious question?

…same thing happens to vegetables too… cool huh?

[quote]Taufiq wrote:
I think Prof X took some while you’re sleeping.[/quote]

ROFL

redneck voice he Took His DrrTEERRK ERRR DRRRRR derrk a derr.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Okay, so when I buy ground beef at the store, I typically get them in 1.10-lb increments, or a little over 17 oz.

What’s weird is when I cook it, I end up having less ground beef than when I started. I made some yesterday, and it only weighed out to about 12 oz. WTF?

I do wash it under hot water for a few minutes in a strainer to get rid of grease and stuff, but surely that wouldn’t make a difference.

Any takers?[/quote]

How much did you smoke before you posted this? :smiley:

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
SSC wrote:

Any takers?

How much did you smoke before you posted this? :smiley:
[/quote]

Absolutely erroneous!