T Nation

The Iceman13 SS Log

Here is my workout log of this week:

Tuesday 14th april 2015
Squats 95lb
Bench press 83lb
Chin ups 1x8 1x6 bodyweight(didnt rest long enough between chin up sets)

Wednesday 14th April 2015
Squats 100lb
Standing press 33KG
Power cleans(trying to learn the lift before i add decent weight)

Saturday 18th april 2015
Squats 105lb
Bench press 40kg
Deadlifts 160lb
Chin ups 3x7 bodyweight

As many of you guys know...my goals are to be massive and strong like a strongman/rugby forward prop/Powerlifter, obviously getting massive is more to do with eating right then training soo i will have a food log too.

Now the true journey begin:

Note: i have done workouts before this log but because i didnt have a log, i was forgetting what weight to increase and just finding my starting sets.

I am very glad to see that you have started a log here.

I suggest you keep the content of this log focused to:

1. Workouts
  2. Nutrition
  3. Progress Towards Goals

Nobody here will judge you for your starting point. People may judge you for complaining about obstacles or not working adequately towards your goals. So keep plugging away and moving towards those goals.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
I am very glad to see that you have started a log here.

I suggest you keep the content of this log focused to:

1. Workouts
  2. Nutrition
  3. Progress Towards Goals

Nobody here will judge you for your starting point. People may judge you for complaining about obstacles or not working adequately towards your goals. So keep plugging away and moving towards those goals.[/quote]

I second all of this.

I would also post your starting weight and any other details of where you are now that you feel will be relevant. I know you know how much you weigh now, and what you were eating etc., but in a years time when you look back, you won’t. Its common to underestimate your progress without concrete numbers to show it.

I assume you’re still on your Reg Parks 5x5?

Also, I’m intrigued why your lower body lifts are done in lb’s and upper body in kg’s? Is this caused by using different equipment or something?

I’m glad to see you start this log too. When you have time or when you start hitting plateaus, feel free to post videos of your lift for critique. A lot of potential is wasted when not performing a movement with good leverages and using the entire kinetic chain.

Good luck Iceman!

Todays workout i did

Squats 3x5 100lb
Standing press 72lb
Power clean

When i was doing the press, i was struggling with pain in my core muscles, it felt heavy as shit but i did do 5 reps on the 3rd warm up instead of 3 reps soo that probably zapped me strength not to mention weak sleep pattern (note to self, i need to get good quality sleep) but i did rest 6 mins between my working sets.

Squating was just ok, i just need to becarful duo to mild sciatica (i hate sciatica as am a fan of core lifts such as deadlifts ect).

I need more time to learn power cleans.

Btw thank you guys for your support.

Make sure you are learning to brace your abs and use your glutes properly to protect your lumbar spine.

What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

This will be equally important to your workouts in progressing towards your stated goal.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
Make sure you are learning to brace your abs and use your glutes properly to protect your lumbar spine.[/quote]

I’ve found a good cue when OH Pressing is to “screw my feet into the floor”. Helps firm everything up from the waist down.

[quote]ActivitiesGuy wrote:
What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

This will be equally important to your workouts in progressing towards your stated goal.[/quote]

This will probably be more important than the lifting.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]lift206 wrote:
Make sure you are learning to brace your abs and use your glutes properly to protect your lumbar spine.[/quote]

I’ve found a good cue when OH Pressing is to “screw my feet into the floor”. Helps firm everything up from the waist down.[/quote]

Yeah that cue actually works for most movements when people do it correctly. Sometimes people have trouble firing their glutes and core in the first place so screwing their feet may just be twisting their ankles. Learning how the muscles feel when contracted individually helps people learn how to use it correctly in a more complex lift using a lot more muscles.

It’s similar to doing alternative movements to bring up a weakness. Sometimes even the alternative movements aren’t done correctly so people end up spinning their wheels. I struggled with this for a long time. Learning how to do basic movement patterns seen across all range of exercises with the right muscles can shave off years from the learning curve. Sometimes naturally gifted athletes just have this hardwired in them when they’re young but I think it can be learned (body mechanics using the entire kinetic chain) by anyone and it reduces the gap between the normal population and genetically gifted. When considering body mechanics, there is too much emphasis placed kinematics (the motion we see) and not enough on the internal loads inside the body. This is true for all strength sports and probably just body mechanics in general.

Here is what i eat today:

Meal plan:
Meal 1 protein shake 492cals 60g of protein
Meal 2: 2 square sausage 12g protein, calories 112, 4 eggs 21protein 285cals, 2 slices of brown bread 133Cals 3g of protein
Total: protein 36g, 530cals

meal 3: spare ribs, rice and veg

meal 4: 2 cups of rice, 200g of mince beef with chilli con carne 963cals oatmeal with milk and 1/2 cup of granola is 559cals 19g of protein

Meal 5: 1 can of tuna 335cal, 47g of protein, 2 medium sweet potatoes 206cal 4g of protein
3 small white potatoes 357cal 8g of protein, 1 serving of mixed vegetables 37cal
935 of total cals

Total cals for all meals 3701, 232g or protein

Todays workout was shorter then expected(note to self, workout early) i was gonna do squats and call it day but i done bench press instead…here is my lifts that i did.

Squats 105lb 3x5
Bench press 88lb 3x5

Obviously i benched and squat a lot higher then in the past but i heard its better to start light then you think…also i been reading and watching vids about form as even if your form is good, its to great to learn more especially about kinetic chains…when i squat i need to be careful duo to mild sciatca, i felt pain my hips to day and lower back muscles but that soon went away.

Oh and i need to stop doing 5 reps on the 3rd warm up set as i sometimes get carried away, i should be doing three soo basically 2x5 or sometimes 1x10 on first set, second set is 1x5 40% 1x3 60% 1x1or2 80% then my three working sets.

My program is Starting Strength.

Diet looks like a good start for your goals. Now you need to eat that way EVERY day, not every few days or 2 of every three days. Every. Single. Day.

Re: starting light, if you do SS and do it properly - making the prescribed jumps in weight - it will not be too light for very long. So I wouldn’t worry about it.

Here is what i did yesterday:

Squats 110lb
Standing press 74lb
Power cleans 45lb (still praticing as its the hardest to learn but am getting the hang of it)

i didnt even feel my sciatica pain (despite i was in pain a hour before my workout) duo to the right squat and better form, the load was light obviously but i could feel it in my legs just need to improve my breathing skills.

My breathing skills are better during the press and like i said, i am getting the hang of power cleans but still dont if am doing it right…i am confused by ‘catching the barbell with your shoulders’ what do i apparently throw the bar in the air and hope it lands on the meat of my shoulders?

100g of chicken liver
4 eggs
2 slices of brown bread

1 protein drink with 2 bananas

200g of mince beef
2 Cups of rice
Half jar of chilli

3 Potatoes
1 Can of tuna
1 Cup of mixed vegs
1 cup of oatmeal 146 1 cup of milk 146 1/2 cup of granola

Total calories for all foods 3772cal and total protein 240

[quote]theiceman13 wrote:
Here is what i did yesterday:

Squats 110lb
Standing press 74lb
Power cleans 45lb (still praticing as its the hardest to learn but am getting the hang of it)

i didnt even feel my sciatica pain (despite i was in pain a hour before my workout) duo to the right squat and better form, the load was light obviously but i could feel it in my legs just need to improve my breathing skills.

My breathing skills are better during the press and like i said, i am getting the hang of power cleans but still dont if am doing it right…i am confused by ‘catching the barbell with your shoulders’ what do i apparently throw the bar in the air and hope it lands on the meat of my shoulders?[/quote]

When I was learning power cleans (self taught, I am far from an expert), I found that an empty bar threw off my mechanics and made it more difficult to develop a smooth flow. I find it had to put into words quite why so your mileage may vary.

Here are two weeks of my workouts that i did not have labled down on the confinements of this forum.

Week 1:

Thursday 24th april 2015(starting after my last reported workout)
Squats 115lb
Bench press 90lb
Deadlifts 65kg

Friday 24th april 2015
Squats 120lb

Week 2:

Tuesday 28th april 2015
Squats 125lb
Standing press 39kg

Thursday 30th april 2015
Squats 130lb

Friday 1st may 2015
Squats 135lb
Bench press 95lb

As for what goes into my stomach is mainly spuds, tuna and veg, chill with ground beef and rice, 4 eggs (two poached and 2 eggy bread aka french toast) chicken liver and bowl of oatmeal and granola with milk but i been a bit lazy with my meals.

My weight is 185lbs and aiming to be well over 200lbs like a strongman or rugby prop and funny enough some ignoramous cretin flaunt in the language of the ignorant and stupid suggested i be a back row because of my current stats despite using the foregn words ‘bulking up’ as in gain weight as i dont wannaa be a small backer, i much rather look like a big forward.

Terrible workout today as i struggled to squat 140lbs (i was go up slow) duo to the bar being too damm short to get on back properly since i do low bar squats…i done 2 sets of 5.

I got 5 reps on all 3 sets with an 85lb standing press but i struggled on each set with the reps and i feel ashamed thinking am serously weak but i do know standing press extremely hard.