T Nation

The Human Combine

I’m sure everyone’s familiar with the The National Invitational Camp or NFL Combine.
Athletes are tested for their raw physical abilities, which influences their ability to be drafted into Pro Teams. I guess the NFL Combine is an OK measurement of physical ability…

40 yard dash

Bench press

Vertical jump

Broad jump (standing long jump)

20-yard shuttle

three-cone drill

But what sort of test would you create if you were trying to determine overall fitness?

My Choice:

800 meter run

100 meter run

Deadlift Max

50 yard swim

Hammer Throw

225xMax Incline Bench Pres

10k Veledrome (Bike Track) Time

It seems like a lot of your tests involve skill more than physical fitness.

If we were limited in the amount of tests we could choose, I would pick the standing vertical jump (to test leg power), maybe a heavy medicine ball throw off the chest for height (to test upper body pushing power), and some kind of longish run like the mile or 2 mile (to test endurance).

For overal fitness I would want to test the following parameters

strength-deadlift max
muscle endurance-maxpullup,pushup,situp
cardio- 1.5 mile run for time
explosiveness-vertical jump, 40 yd dash
flexibilty?- sit and reach
There are others you could add. The deadlift might be the only true technique limiting test on there. The others are pretty much straight forward.

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
I’m sure everyone’s familiar with the The National Invitational Camp or NFL Combine.
Athletes are tested for their raw physical abilities, which influences their ability to be drafted into Pro Teams. I guess the NFL Combine is an OK measurement of physical ability…

40 yard dash

Bench press

Vertical jump

Broad jump (standing long jump)

20-yard shuttle

three-cone drill

But what sort of test would you create if you were trying to determine overall fitness?

My Choice:

800 meter run

100 meter run

Deadlift Max

50 yard swim

Hammer Throw

225xMax Incline Bench Pres

10k Veledrome (Bike Track) Time[/quote]

The hammer throw is a great idea. I think the 800M run, swimming and 10k bike would be kinda pointless considering it wouldn’t necessarily translate into on field play.

I think it depends upon position as well. Pullup strength would be as usefull as bench strength for alot of the skill positions.