The Hound Will Grow

180 single

There’s now a video of a deadlift single at 180 on my hub if anyone wanted to see it. Can’t for the life of me get a video to embed.

[video]2809[/video]

[quote]kleinhound wrote:
TUESDAY: Deadlift
3x160 (only pulled 3)
[/quote]

This is my target for today.

[quote]kleinhound wrote:
[video]2809[/video][/quote]

That looked VERY easy. I like how quickly you pull after gripping. Everything seems pretty much where it should be. A three quarter or profile angle would be better for checking the whole lift , especially how your back looks and what the bar path looks like but I’d also recommend pulling around 190-200 kg to see what breaks down, if anything. This was way too easy for there to be any obvious issues.

Thanks for the feedback mark, I’ll definitely film some from the side next time I go heavy. Yeah I find if I spend too much time dicking around with my set up I lose tightness, so I just give it the good old grip and rip.

[quote]kleinhound wrote:
Thanks for the feedback mark, I’ll definitely film some from the side next time I go heavy. Yeah I find if I spend too much time dicking around with my set up I lose tightness, so I just give it the good old grip and rip. [/quote]

Cool. For me it was a matter of losing power if I spent time gripping, although I’m finding that less now.

So last week was an absolute write off. I haven’t been sick in years, and this flu absolutely smashed me. In bed from saturday to wednesday, shaky thursday, improved by friday but I didn’t want to push it and just end up back in bed. Did some conditioning saturday, at a moderate intensity of an inverse ladder V ups (20-15-10-5) and Box jumps (5-10-15-20) and some KB work. Sunday I felt good and wanted to open up my lungs so I did a WOD of 20min AMRAP 15 toe to bar and 30 push ups, I go through 7 rounds so 105 toe to bar and 210 pushups…sore ass chest today, guess high volume push ups are something I shouldn’t overlook.
Smashed training this morning, but I’ll detail that when I post later in the week.

Week 1, Cycle 2

As I previously mentioned, I’ve been adding Crossfit style conditioning and Actual WODs into my training, and while there has been a bit of an immediate strength decrease on my big lifts, my conditioning has been shooting back up, and my body composition is improving relatively well too. Sitting at 80.5kg this afternoon, but I’m looking and feeling lean.

Still been hitting my macros quite regularly, I work nights and am back at university so sometimes I don’t get all my calories, but I always hit my protein goal in order to maintain as much muscle as I can, with carbohydrates as a very close second priority

Monday: Military Press
5x47.5, 5x55, 5x62.5 (7), 5x47.5(10)
DB bench press
15x25, 12x25, 13x25
Cable Row
20x69, 15x75, 12x86
Tricep Rope Extension
20x29, 20x29, 20x29

(last of the bro-accessory days haha)

Tuesday: Deadlift
5x120, 5x137.5, 5x157.5 (5) *no idea what happened here…just a shit pull
15 Minute AMRAP
5 chins, 10 squat, 15kb swings (24kg)
Completed 12 full rounds and 360 total reps, absolutely smoked…need to get better at the KB swings

Wednesday: Crossfit
Run and Gun WOD
For time,
100 squats
1.6km run (1 mile)
100 dips
1.6km run
100 chins
1.6km run
100 sit ups
Completed in 53:56…felt like the running was super slow, also this exposed my lack of dipping volume as of late. I used to bang out 100 bw dips in 2-4 sets but this took me more like 8

PM WOD
Snatches

Well I kind of fell off the Log Wagon there…The good news is that I’ve actually put on some weight for once. Weighing around 82-83kg the last couple days. I’ve been eating a minimum of 3200 cals a day, mostly concerned with getting the carbs in. Seems to be working.
Combined with the Beyond 531 program which only has me lifting 3 days of the week, and doing lighter conditioning the other couple days. I think doing less work and eating more is key for me to putting on size, as i really think I was just doing too much, not overtraining or any shit like that, but just kind of maintaining weight instead of being in a calorie surplus at the end of the day.

I’ve hit some PRs along the first 5 weeks of beyond 1.1
I benched 102.5kg for 10 (massive deal for me, not sure if I’ll hit it again but I’m hopeful)
I also squatted 160kg for 8 reps beltless, and then today (first week of 1.2) I squatted 172.5 for 5 very cleanly.
I dialed my TM’s back so that all reps could be done without any technical breakdown, I leave my ego at home and try to do
every rep with a controlled eccentric, slight pause (especially on bench) and explosive upwards. I do stop and go for deadlifts, but may include some TnG for my sets at TM in 1.2

BEYOND 531 - 1.2

wk1d1

Box jumps 5x5. Squats 3x3 120, 140, 155kg then TM 172.5 for 5. Bench 7x5 82.5. Chins 5x5 with 24kg kb. Side crunches 2x25. Tricep extension 100 total reps.

w1d2
Deadlifts 3x3 1x max at TM (167.5) capped at 5 reps. 7x5 Military press at 52.5. 5x10 barbell curl, 3x15 back extension, 100 total face pulls.

Did some farmers walks the previous day so I felt the shit out of it in my traps after this, it was fucking awesome.

Welcome back to the logs section, I have nothing more to add except good work.

W1D3
7x5 squats at 130kg, I expected to have trouble with this weight and volume but I really didn’t which was super nice. 3x3 bench 1 max at TM (110X6 which is a PR). Then 5x5 weighted chin ups, 2x25 abs and 100 tricep extensions. Snuck some calves in too. Definitely feeling the added volume and intensity but I’m handling it well by sticking to the program.

W2D1
Deadlifts 7x3 (125kg), military Press 3x3 max with TM (70KG) for three reps. Wasn’t wearing a belt on my top set and felt a lack of tightness in the core, think I maybe had another rep with a belt. Then bicep curls 5x10, back extensions 3x15 and 100 face pulls. Started adding a little weight to my accessory movements and I’m still able to do it well which is nice.
Weighed 33kg today and not looking too puffy at all yet.

83…not 33…jeez that would be light

W2D2
Squats 3x5 TM max (172.5) only did three reps today, my set up felt a bit rubbish and I wasn’t mentally in it. Bench 7x5 with full pause, then Weighted chins, abs and triceps extensions to finish.
I’ve recently adjusted my bench set up after watching and reading numerous Dave Tate articles and videos. I think I always set up with feet wide because it felt more comfortable, but my ass was always shooting up and I kept losing my arch. Now I’m on my toes and tucking my legs into the bench, everything feels way tighter, and I can actually feel a noticeable leg drive for the first time. It feels uncomfortable, but also super tight, and I hit a PR this way last week so we’ll stick at it.

[quote]kleinhound wrote:
BEYOND 531 - 1.2

wk1d1

Box jumps 5x5. Squats 3x3 120, 140, 155kg then TM 172.5 for 5. Bench 7x5 82.5. Chins 5x5 with 24kg kb. Side crunches 2x25. Tricep extension 100 total reps.
[/quote]

Do you still do BW pull ups / chin ups in between pressing sets, then do the 25 chins on top of it? And did you do the same on Beyond 1.1 (say pull ups in between presses + 50 chin ups after)?

nah not with beyond 531 brother, just the written stuff. At the moment i’m doing the 5x5 chins as weighted stuff. I’m confident I could handle the volume, but I want to do the program as it’s written. In the past I’ve got sidetracked doing too much accessory work and as such my main lifts have suffered.
As my main goal this time is strength, less is more…in a way. But I absolutely recommend doing chins between pressing as a means of getting a bigger back, healthier shoulders and bigger arms.

W2D3

Deadlifts 3x3 TM max (167.5 for an easy triple, then I did a Joker of 180x2), Military press 7x5 with 52.5kg. Accessory was 5x10 bicep curl, 3x15 back extensions and 100 face pulls. I supersetted the back extensions with some calf raises too.
Scale said 84kg at the gym, not a true weight because I was wearing shoes and clothes, but still the heaviest I’ve seen myself yet.