The Hobbit was Terrible

I was really looking forward to this movie, as I’ve always been a LOTR fan. Unfortunately, I took my 15 year old son today and we both agreed it was terrible. Way too long, too many unnecessary scenes, its obvious Peter Jackson could use a lesson in editing. What’s really shocking is there is stll two more movies to go.

I loved the book as a kid. This should have been one movie, tops.

I don’t knpw how much you can fault Jackson. I just saw it today too, and agree with you for the most part. But I think it’s the studio who want to push it to a trilogy in order to reap the profits of 3 movies, rather than 1.

money > quality

A director/producer like Peter Jackson has some degree of power with the studio when it comes to calling the shots. He could have kept it to the originally announced plan of a two-parter movie. His ego let him think that he could get away with making a trilogy out of a book that was already much thinner than any one of the LOTR trilogy books.

Someone beat him if he even suggests doing the Silmarillion.

I really enjoyed it. It did drag on a little, but most of the scenes were excellently done. IMO, of course

Personally I thought it was a great movie. Really looking forward to two more.

While I did enjoy it, as a story, it’s just not the same caliber film as LOTR, especially for people who only know the LOTR story, and expected the Hobbit to be of similar intensity and scale. My previous exposure was the old Ralph Bakshi cartoons from my childhood, so obviously Jackson’s visions blew me away. In terms of lagging moments in the films,… well, if a director cuts something too short, it’s bad, and if they let it go too long, it’s bad. No one will ever be completely satisfied, so I guess I sort of grant film makers a certain amount of leeway (sp? -lol).

S

I was skeptical when I looked at the reviews, but I thought it was more action packed than the LOTR. I liked the story too. I know the book wasn’t nearly as much about the good vs evil thing, but I thought they made it work.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
well, if a director cuts something too short, it’s bad, and if they let it go too long, it’s bad.
[/quote]

Right… being a director is difficult, that’s why not everyone can be one, especially not in Hollywood. But a director at the top of his field on one of the most anticipated movies in recent history should not let it drag on like he did with his previous work. It’s not like he’s never heard this complaint before.

I don’t think Peter Jackson needs anyone cutting him some slack.

its far inferior to LOTR trilogy I agree. But being a super LOTR fan, just coming back to middle earth brought tears in my eyes. Seeing Bad End, Rivendell. Its nostalgic experiences for me.

I like it far better than Skyfall, who I think is very overrated.

[quote]ProRaven wrote:
I was really looking forward to this movie, as I’ve always been a LOTR fan. Unfortunately, I took my 15 year old son today and we both agreed it was terrible. Way too long, too many unnecessary scenes, its obvious Peter Jackson could use a lesson in editing. What’s really shocking is there is stll two more movies to go.

I loved the book as a kid. This should have been one movie, tops. [/quote]

This is what I think of your OP… Dislike Peter Jackson's <em>The Hobbit</em>? Then You Don't Know Tolkien | HuffPost Entertainment

[quote]TheGreatXavi wrote:
its far inferior to LOTR trilogy I agree. But being a super LOTR fan, just coming back to middle earth brought tears in my eyes. Seeing Bad End, Rivendell. Its nostalgic experiences for me.

I like it far better than Skyfall, who I think is very overrated.[/quote]

This

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:
A director/producer like Peter Jackson has some degree of power with the studio when it comes to calling the shots. He could have kept it to the originally announced plan of a two-parter movie. His ego let him think that he could get away with making a trilogy out of a book that was already much thinner than any one of the LOTR trilogy books.

Someone beat him if he even suggests doing the Silmarillion. [/quote]

There is no such thing as LOTR trilogy books. LOTR series is made up of six books. The LOTR trilogy is the LOTR books made into three movies: two books per movie.

The fact that you don’t know that basically disqualifies you from putting forth your opinion into the matter.

I really enjoyed it. Not as much as FOTR but more than ROTK.

Looking forward to the directors cut.

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
While I did enjoy it, as a story, it’s just not the same caliber film as LOTR, especially for people who only know the LOTR story, and expected the Hobbit to be of similar intensity and scale. My previous exposure was the old Ralph Bakshi cartoons from my childhood, so obviously Jackson’s visions blew me away. In terms of lagging moments in the films,… well, if a director cuts something too short, it’s bad, and if they let it go too long, it’s bad. No one will ever be completely satisfied, so I guess I sort of grant film makers a certain amount of leeway (sp? -lol).

S[/quote]

The Hobbit was like an afternoon fishing with your best friend, when school let out early…of course you could hang out for an hour, catch your limit and go home, but really…I’d much rather waste all afternoon with my buddy catching and releasing until its time to go eat supper…and then his mom lets him come over for supper and camping in the backyard!

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

There is no such thing as LOTR trilogy books. LOTR series is made up of six books. The LOTR trilogy is the LOTR books made into three movies: two books per movie.

The fact that you don’t know that basically disqualifies you from putting forth your opinion into the matter.[/quote]

While you are correct, you are also a douche.

[quote]TheGreatXavi wrote:
super LOTR fan[/quote]

Disqualified. Might as well claim you’re an Elite Powerlifter.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

The fact that you don’t know that basically disqualifies you from putting forth your opinion into the matter.[/quote]

While you are correct, you are also a douche.[/quote]

Interesting…this must be how PX feels every time he states his opinion and destroys noobs. :wink:

By the way, fellas. I don’t care, if you didn’t like the movie you didn’t like the movie. Thought I’d see if I could get someone nerd out on me.

[quote]BeefEater wrote:

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:

While you are correct, you are also a douche.[/quote]

Interesting…this must be how PX feels every time he states his opinion and destroys noobs. :wink:

By the way, fellas. I don’t care, if you didn’t like the movie you didn’t like the movie. Thought I’d see if I could get someone nerd out on me.[/quote]

Fascinating.