T Nation

The Hippies Have Gone Too Far!

http://www.freegan.info/

I’ve never seen this before and hope to never see it again. I understand the point but come the F on!!

This sounds like something my little sister would tell me. Complete bullshit.

Anyone else think these people probably smell terrible?

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Anyone else think these people probably smell terrible?[/quote]

They are hippies, of course they smell.

Come on, you live in the bay area, right?

[quote]Christine wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Anyone else think these people probably smell terrible?

They are hippies, of course they smell.

Come on, you live in the bay area, right?[/quote]

Yeah, but I stay away from the hippy parts. It’s not too hard to avoid Berkeley, which I do avoid, like the plague.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Christine wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
Anyone else think these people probably smell terrible?

They are hippies, of course they smell.

Come on, you live in the bay area, right?

Yeah, but I stay away from the hippy parts. It’s not too hard to avoid Berkeley, which I do avoid, like the plague.[/quote]

Unfortunately, Eugene isn’t big enough to avoid the hippies.

It gets even worse, there are people who call themselves fruitarians, they will only eat fruits that fall from plants so as not to harm the plant itself.

[quote]JoeG254 wrote:
It gets even worse, there are people who call themselves fruitarians, they will only eat fruits that fall from plants so as not to harm the plant itself.[/quote]

They are also called Frugans. I’d like to know if there really is anyone who has lived on a frugan diet for more than a year.

So, basically, they live like homeless people.

Save a cow, eat a vegan!

[quote]B3 wrote:
So, basically, they live like homeless people.

[/quote]

I think they used to be called hobos.

This is fucked up. Well, at least the vegan bit.


If I see one of those suckers rummaging through my garbage, I’m gonna play “Whack-A-Mole”.

i read the whole thing, it was interesting to say the least.

what these people don’t understand is that their lifestyle is only possible because of the economic intuitions that they claim to detest.

in affect, the “freegans” ultimate goal is untenable. they hope that everyone would live a freegan lifestyle. For them, if we all just grew our own food, went dumpster diving, took the train, and stopped going to work the world would be a better place. What they seem to really want to a modern hunter-gatherer society.

the problem of course is that 6+ billion people could not be sustained on the earth in a hunter-gatherer economy. further, it is only through the advanced manufacturing techniques and advanced division of economic labor that the worlds population can be sustained.

the freegans of course might object that billions are starving or living in sub-standard housing as a result of these advanced manufacturing techniques and the current division of economic labor, but this isn’t true. manufacturing techniques and division of labor are mere technologies, things that are morally neutral.

what the freegans really should be protesting is the unregulated free trade of commodities. that is, it is not the manufacturing techniques and division of labor that is to be shunned, but rather the men who control the system and abuse it through manipulating the free market.

“buzzards gotta eat… same as worms.” -josey wales


Hitchhiking is okay with these people, but would you honestly pick a guy that looks like this if you saw him on the road?

I’d rather pick up someone carrying a bloody ax.

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Hitchhiking is okay with these people, but would you honestly pick a guy that looks like this if you saw him on the road?

I’d rather pick up someone carrying a bloody ax. [/quote]

If I had a pick-up truck, I suppose he could ride in the back.

i saw this on one of gordon ramseys million shows, thought it was a joke however with the ever increasing hippy population at my uni it wouldnt surprise me too see some of them doing this knowing the crap they spurt

[quote]stokedporcupine wrote:
i read the whole thing, it was interesting to say the least.

what these people don’t understand is that their lifestyle is only possible because of the economic intuitions that they claim to detest.

in affect, the “freegans” ultimate goal is untenable. they hope that everyone would live a freegan lifestyle. For them, if we all just grew our own food, went dumpster diving, took the train, and stopped going to work the world would be a better place. What they seem to really want to a modern hunter-gatherer society.

the problem of course is that 6+ billion people could not be sustained on the earth in a hunter-gatherer economy. further, it is only through the advanced manufacturing techniques and advanced division of economic labor that the worlds population can be sustained.

the freegans of course might object that billions are starving or living in sub-standard housing as a result of these advanced manufacturing techniques and the current division of economic labor, but this isn’t true. manufacturing techniques and division of labor are mere technologies, things that are morally neutral.

what the freegans really should be protesting is the unregulated free trade of commodities. that is, it is not the manufacturing techniques and division of labor that is to be shunned, but rather the men who control the system and abuse it through manipulating the free market. [/quote]

Yup. ^^ This guy said it all.

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
If I see one of those suckers rummaging through my garbage, I’m gonna play “Whack-A-Mole”.

[/quote]

Is that a meat hammer?