T Nation

The High School/College Football Thread

[quote]Nate112 wrote:
Middle linebacker/ Runningback

Age:17
Weight: 186
Bf%: 10
Height: 510-511
40: 4.7-4.8
Vert: 32 , possibly more now.

Goal is to fucking crush anyone who wants to get by me.[/quote]

How do you measure that goal? Goals should be quantive or measurable. Just trying to help you out.

The level of competition is obviously not DI, but it should be noted that teams will routinely scrimmage respectable DIII teams and beat them handily.
[/quote]

^^ PLease share a link showing this is the case. I don’t think so. DIII schools will still get decent sized kids and they will drive 172 lbers into the earth.

[quote]JGerman wrote:

The level of competition is obviously not DI, but it should be noted that teams will routinely scrimmage respectable DIII teams and beat them handily.

^^ PLease share a link showing this is the case. I don’t think so. DIII schools will still get decent sized kids and they will drive 172 lbers into the earth. [/quote]

My mistake on one front. I was told that it was DIII teams, which is true, I was not told that it was the JV. However, as one would imagine there are still some decently sized kids on those teams. Here are a couple links I found online about Navy’s scrimmages last season: http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-sprintfb/recaps/090708aaa.html
http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-sprintfb/recaps/091408aaa.html

However, you can probably drop the respectable from my previous description I suppose. An honest mistake on my part. I still firmly believe that the level of competition found in the league is solid however. And for the record, players VERY often aren’t even close to 172 lb come gameday. I’ve heard of several guys hovering closer to 190 than 172. Once again, still not huge, but more respectable than 172 would lead you to believe.

Max did you play with Petros? Just wondering.


No Brad, I played with Taso (here he is in this pic), though I know Petros is just a few years younger. John (their dad) played linebacker at USC too, and I saw him about 1 year ago and looks like he is ready to bash some heads in still LOL. Taso and I were in the same recruiting class. Have you ever been to their family restaurant in San Pedro? It’s insane. A great time, they drink, break dishes, dance, you name it, not to mention the food is the best Greek food I have ever had in my life.

[quote]CornSprint wrote:
JGerman wrote:

The level of competition is obviously not DI, but it should be noted that teams will routinely scrimmage respectable DIII teams and beat them handily.

^^ PLease share a link showing this is the case. I don’t think so. DIII schools will still get decent sized kids and they will drive 172 lbers into the earth.

My mistake on one front. I was told that it was DIII teams, which is true, I was not told that it was the JV. However, as one would imagine there are still some decently sized kids on those teams. Here are a couple links I found online about Navy’s scrimmages last season: http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-sprintfb/recaps/090708aaa.html
http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-sprintfb/recaps/091408aaa.html

However, you can probably drop the respectable from my previous description I suppose. An honest mistake on my part. I still firmly believe that the level of competition found in the league is solid however. And for the record, players VERY often aren’t even close to 172 lb come gameday. I’ve heard of several guys hovering closer to 190 than 172. Once again, still not huge, but more respectable than 172 would lead you to believe.
[/quote]

Credibililty saved…somewhat.

You have to see that a 172 # db is one thing but when the tackles and d linemen at that size that is a small league my friend.

I coach AAU in the Spring and we have 13/14 y.o. RBs that wiegh more than that. No to mention most the linemen are in the 200 and one is over 300. Obviously this is a select league with kids from throughout Houston but you might caught my drift.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
No Brad, I played with Taso (here he is in this pic), though I know Petros is just a few years younger. John (their dad) played linebacker at USC too, and I saw him about 1 year ago and looks like he is ready to bash some heads in still LOL. Taso and I were in the same recruiting class. Have you ever been to their family restaurant in San Pedro? It’s insane. A great time, they drink, break dishes, dance, you name it, not to mention the food is the best Greek food I have ever had in my life. [/quote]

Ahh, gotcha.

Figured you had to be in that timeframe based on the uni’s. Very cool dude. I need to hit up that restaurant for sure.

In the spirit, here’s the video I sent to colleges my senior year of high school. If nothing else, make sure and check out the hit around 3:05. Somewhat gruesome.

I honestly can’t remember what I was lifting back then, but I had some pretty decent track PR’s (100 - 10.6, 200 - 21.7, 40 - 4.42). Injuries were the death of my college career at Georgia Tech - I’m sure many T-Nation members can relate.

Good idea on starting this thread, by the way.

-Eric

[quote]JGerman wrote:
CornSprint wrote:
JGerman wrote:

The level of competition is obviously not DI, but it should be noted that teams will routinely scrimmage respectable DIII teams and beat them handily.

^^ PLease share a link showing this is the case. I don’t think so. DIII schools will still get decent sized kids and they will drive 172 lbers into the earth.

My mistake on one front. I was told that it was DIII teams, which is true, I was not told that it was the JV. However, as one would imagine there are still some decently sized kids on those teams. Here are a couple links I found online about Navy’s scrimmages last season: http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-sprintfb/recaps/090708aaa.html
http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-sprintfb/recaps/091408aaa.html

However, you can probably drop the respectable from my previous description I suppose. An honest mistake on my part. I still firmly believe that the level of competition found in the league is solid however. And for the record, players VERY often aren’t even close to 172 lb come gameday. I’ve heard of several guys hovering closer to 190 than 172. Once again, still not huge, but more respectable than 172 would lead you to believe.

Credibililty saved…somewhat.

You have to see that a 172 # db is one thing but when the tackles and d linemen at that size that is a small league my friend.

I coach AAU in the Spring and we have 13/14 y.o. RBs that wiegh more than that. No to mention most the linemen are in the 200 and one is over 300. Obviously this is a select league with kids from throughout Houston but you might caught my drift. [/quote]

I absolutely see what you’re saying and agree with everything you say. This is definitely small for a lineman, linebacker, running back, etc. I just am a little defensive about being attacked on this board before about it not being a “real” sport and people calling it things such as football for pussies and the like. My only point I want to make is weight restricted =/= crap lol

[quote]ecoetter wrote:
In the spirit, here’s the video I sent to colleges my senior year of high school. If nothing else, make sure and check out the hit around 3:05. Somewhat gruesome.

I honestly can’t remember what I was lifting back then, but I had some pretty decent track PR’s (100 - 10.6, 200 - 21.7, 40 - 4.42). Injuries were the death of my college career at Georgia Tech - I’m sure many T-Nation members can relate.

Good idea on starting this thread, by the way.

-Eric

[/quote]

Damn. Now those are great football skills.

I played for Case Western, which is a DIII school in the same conference as Carnegie Mellon (our hated rivals; Fuck You Dick Lackner). We were a middle of the road program when I went, but the kids who were freshmen when I was a senior ended up being fucking studs. Program was ranked #21 by d3football.com in 2008.

I started all 4 years and played Will LB freshmen and soph seasons, Sam LB my junior year (all conference that year), and Mike LB and NT my senior year. We were extremely undersized on the DL my senior year and very deep at LB so I asked the coach if I could put my hand on the ground (I was 5’9" and around 235 at the time). I actually liked DL better than LB because I didn’t have to worry about pass coverage, which I was hilariously bad at.

Too bad that move didn’t help us win any more games. Our defense improved a lot, but our offense, which had been prolific for 2.5 seasons, just shut down the second half of the year and averaged around 17 pts a game when if had previously been scoring upwards of 30. So we finished senior year 1-4 after a 4-1 start. Very disappointing after we had been ranked in the preseason Top 25.

I’m glad I played college ball because I needed the humbling experience after high school. It really brought me down to earth, hard. In that respect it was not nearly as fun as high school ball (more like a full time job really), but I learned a lot more from it. I still miss the game to this day.

[quote]CornSprint wrote:
JGerman wrote:
CornSprint wrote:
JGerman wrote:

The level of competition is obviously not DI, but it should be noted that teams will routinely scrimmage respectable DIII teams and beat them handily.

^^ PLease share a link showing this is the case. I don’t think so. DIII schools will still get decent sized kids and they will drive 172 lbers into the earth.

My mistake on one front. I was told that it was DIII teams, which is true, I was not told that it was the JV. However, as one would imagine there are still some decently sized kids on those teams. Here are a couple links I found online about Navy’s scrimmages last season: http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-sprintfb/recaps/090708aaa.html
http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-sprintfb/recaps/091408aaa.html

However, you can probably drop the respectable from my previous description I suppose. An honest mistake on my part. I still firmly believe that the level of competition found in the league is solid however. And for the record, players VERY often aren’t even close to 172 lb come gameday. I’ve heard of several guys hovering closer to 190 than 172. Once again, still not huge, but more respectable than 172 would lead you to believe.

Credibililty saved…somewhat.

You have to see that a 172 # db is one thing but when the tackles and d linemen at that size that is a small league my friend.

I coach AAU in the Spring and we have 13/14 y.o. RBs that wiegh more than that. No to mention most the linemen are in the 200 and one is over 300. Obviously this is a select league with kids from throughout Houston but you might caught my drift.

I absolutely see what you’re saying and agree with everything you say. This is definitely small for a lineman, linebacker, running back, etc. I just am a little defensive about being attacked on this board before about it not being a “real” sport and people calling it things such as football for pussies and the like. My only point I want to make is weight restricted =/= crap lol[/quote]

when i went to visit my battle buddy at west point, i managed to catch a sprint football game. honestly it was a lot more enjoyable than i had previously imagined.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
CornSprint wrote:
JGerman wrote:
CornSprint wrote:
JGerman wrote:

The level of competition is obviously not DI, but it should be noted that teams will routinely scrimmage respectable DIII teams and beat them handily.

^^ PLease share a link showing this is the case. I don’t think so. DIII schools will still get decent sized kids and they will drive 172 lbers into the earth.

My mistake on one front. I was told that it was DIII teams, which is true, I was not told that it was the JV. However, as one would imagine there are still some decently sized kids on those teams. Here are a couple links I found online about Navy’s scrimmages last season: http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-sprintfb/recaps/090708aaa.html
http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-sprintfb/recaps/091408aaa.html

However, you can probably drop the respectable from my previous description I suppose. An honest mistake on my part. I still firmly believe that the level of competition found in the league is solid however. And for the record, players VERY often aren’t even close to 172 lb come gameday. I’ve heard of several guys hovering closer to 190 than 172. Once again, still not huge, but more respectable than 172 would lead you to believe.

Credibililty saved…somewhat.

You have to see that a 172 # db is one thing but when the tackles and d linemen at that size that is a small league my friend.

I coach AAU in the Spring and we have 13/14 y.o. RBs that wiegh more than that. No to mention most the linemen are in the 200 and one is over 300. Obviously this is a select league with kids from throughout Houston but you might caught my drift.

I absolutely see what you’re saying and agree with everything you say. This is definitely small for a lineman, linebacker, running back, etc. I just am a little defensive about being attacked on this board before about it not being a “real” sport and people calling it things such as football for pussies and the like. My only point I want to make is weight restricted =/= crap lol

when i went to visit my battle buddy at west point, i managed to catch a sprint football game. honestly it was a lot more enjoyable than i had previously imagined.

[/quote]

Hey…One thing at a time…LOL. Let’s concentrate on setting off that Lunker and getting it on video, shall we ??

I just recently got my highlight tape from HS put on DVD. But I have no idea how to upload it to the CPU(ie youtube). Can anyone help me with this?

LaMarque, the last team we played it the 4AAAA state quaterfinals the highlights of the game on youtube. We look pretty bad that game to LaMarque who ended up winning state (6 x in 8 yrs.). They had tons of athletes!

They were nice enough to include a couple of my highlights from the game. 4:20 TD, 5:10 long pass.

I played slot WR but got doubled teamed througout the season and especially in the playoffs. This game was in the Astrodome and will give you an idea of the athletes in TX HS (this was 96-97). There were 24,000 people at this game.

HS Stats:
1400+ yds
77 cathes
23 TD
460 squat
270 bench
4.46 40
36 VJ

4:20 TD, 5:10 long pass doubled or tripled team).

I remember I got to play against a ton of D1 prospects in TN, especially the guys from Alcoa. A lot of them didn’t have the grades to go to D1 schools and ended up going to Junior College though. I remember playing against Dustin Lyndsey, Rae sykes, Brandon Warren (Yes the bad ass tight end that played for FSU and is now at UT) Kyrus Lanxster, there are a bunch more that I can’t even remember. They made you feel stupid playing against them lol. they always had 5-7 D1 prospects each year, it was just insane.

I got to play against a decent number of prospects from the big NE Ohio schools. When I was a freshman Warren G Harding had Maurice Clarett, Prescott Burgess, Mario Manningham, and some other not as notable D1 prospects. I didn’t actually play in that game though, but as a Junior I got to play the stacked ass Glenville team that sent Troy Smith, Ted Ginn Jr, and Donte Whitner to OSU. Talk about making people look silly =/.

I know that this is quite an old thread, but I didn’t want to make a new one. All I want to say is that our first official game is tomorrow! Excited as hell. I’m playing with a messed up ankle, but will be sure to give it as much rest as possible as soon as possible. Only thing that is going to be bothersome is the bis ride there. Going from Aurora to Grand Junction. About 4-5 hour bus ride.

Wanted to play this year, but grades held me back. Not sure if anyone else’s school does this, but if you fail a class from the previous year, you cant play the following year… I know, its retarded. When I did play my Jr year, my stats were

Height: 6’2
Weight: 245
Bench: 255
Squat: 355
power clean: 205

Pretty average stuff, wasnt that good. But oh well, it’s behind me.

[quote]BlackLabel wrote:
Wanted to play this year, but grades held me back. Not sure if anyone else’s school does this, but if you fail a class from the previous year, you cant play the following year… I know, its retarded. When I did play my Jr year, my stats were

Height: 6’2
Weight: 245
Bench: 255
Squat: 355
power clean: 205

Pretty average stuff, wasnt that good. But oh well, it’s behind me.[/quote]

You lost your senior year of football because of academics ?

That would sting for a long time if it were me.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Liv92 wrote:
I was gonna play football this year, but pulled groin put and end to that.

A 3-6 week injury made you quit?[/quote]

It was right before try outs, so by the time I got better they were already half way into camp.