The Henry Rollins Thread

“When I was in England people would come up to me and be like, Hey Henry you’re from America I bet you like Bon Jovi right? LIKE HIM ? LIKE HIM! I FUCKING LOVE HIM. I PLAY HIS TUNES EVERY NIGHT. AND BY THE WAY FUCK YOU!”

Henry Rollins Spoken Word

Listen to Nights Behind the Treeline. Especially Welcome to Los Angeles. Great stuff.

[quote]jms wrote:
Believe me the neck is natural. More genetics than some neck training.
I saw him live at a spoken word performance in Santa Barbara, CA, in '92 or '93 and shook his hand and guess what? He didn’t seem that big in person even back then. I believe TV and film make him and many other male leads/actors appear much bigger, buffer than in person. No doubt Henry had a powerful physique, but he was not huge or even close as he appears in some of his videos. If TV adds ten pounds to ladies…on a cut male actor I think it makes him look even thicker than he really is. Oh by the way Henry is between 5’10 and 5’11. [/quote]

actually ur way off and i question u ever meeting him. i have seen him so many times in so many states he knows me on site and says whats up chapman. he is all of a manly 5’6 tall and says he weighs around 210 with very very lil fat on him

[quote]relentlessfury wrote:
actually ur way off and i question u ever meeting him. i have seen him so many times in so many states he knows me on site and says whats up chapman. he is all of a manly 5’6 tall and says he weighs around 210 with very very lil fat on him
[/quote]

Dito to that. If you’ve EVER heard Henry speek he constantly makes reference to the fact that he’s short.

La’
Redsol1

Henry Rollins is doing some spoken word in Michigan sometime soon. I’ll try to go look up the date.

Edit:

Oct. 27. Kalamazoo MI: State Theater @ 404 South Burdick

I thought I read somewhere on here that someone was going to interview him - any news of this interview?

Rollins Band " Insert Band Here " live from Australia 1990. That is one of the baddest albums ever. Put that in, turn it up till your teeth shake, and start loadin up the plates.
Nice is also very nice. A bit introspective at some points, but very good none the less.

[quote]mindeffer01 wrote:
Rollins Band " Insert Band Here " live from Australia 1990. That is one of the baddest albums ever. Put that in, turn it up till your teeth shake, and start loadin up the plates.
Nice is also very nice. A bit introspective at some points, but very good none the less.
[/quote]

"nice"is a pretty good record and so is “get some so again” . i think that mother superior -the trio he’s playing with kicks ass! the live album to look for is “the only way to know for sure” two nights back to back in chicago. they are so tight it’s really unreal. i mean nobody sounds so good live. pure live.

“I mean, if i could be one thing, ALL the time… besides alive… i’d rather be funny than happy.”

fuck i know this isn’t gonna do that justice, but his timing on that delivery is perfect. and he is a funny guy along with being a badass mofo. as to who would win between those two, i’m gonna have to say rollins. i just get the feeling he’d get the job done.

I was thinking of El Nino recently while all this hurricane stuff has been going on. Works for them too. Why are they named stuff like, Rita, Katrina, Andrew, Francis? At least name them stuff like Rocky, Butch, or Krystal. At least you expect from the name that stuff is going to get destroyed and ruined. Check out Rise Above. It’s Black Flag songs played hard and tight by Mother Superior with vocals by all kinds of people, most of whom do an awesome job. I would have like to have seen them when they were doing the concerts for that record. Mother Superior are soo tight live they don’t seem to miss a fucking beat and Henry singing those old songs again and bringing in Keith Morris and stuff would have been awesome.

Think Tank got me hooked. Every since that album I bought all his stuff. Smile, You’re Traveling is a very good book. Hope to see him at one of his talking show.

[quote]lostinthought wrote:
Awesome idea for a thread dude! I absolutely love this man and just about everything he stands for. I love his political views and the way he looks at life. I’ve read two of his books…man is this guy angry.

I’ve seen him for a spoken word concert in Denver about a year and a half ago. I think he’s stopped working out becuase he’s way smaller than he used to be. But the dude still rocks and kicks some major ass. [/quote]

No dude, it was probably because he was on tour. The pace of it all makes it harder and he loses weight by the end of it. I saw him a couple of months ago in Sydney and he was bigger than when I saw him in…ahh 2004 I think it was.

Anyway I can’t even remember how I found out about Rollins. I think it was through reading about Straight Edge and his friendship with Ian Mackaye (of course neither of them are into the scene at all though). I listened to Rollins in the Rye and was hooked. Now I have pretty much all his spoken word stuff, a couple of books, and a few cds. I’ve seen him live twice.

I think the intensity with which he approaches life is amazing and inspiring. He’s gone through a hell of a lot in life and I think he’s a facinating guy. He certainly shoots straight.

Rollins rules, I saw him at the Trenton City Gardens back in 91 or 92 spoken word and he blew the crowd away. I was just a kid at the time but he looked huge to me.

Around the same time Ice-T was touring with his metal band Body Count and he was pretty big too.

I think the Rollins Black Flag stuff is the best although I’ve been told by punk purists that the Ginn Black Flag is better but I don’t see it. “Whos got the 10 and a Half?”

Hennrieta Collins and the Wife Beating Child Haters never ceases to crack me up.

[quote]Mattthepug wrote:
Rollins rules, I saw him at the Trenton City Gardens back in 91 or 92 spoken word and he blew the crowd away. I was just a kid at the time but he looked huge to me.

Around the same time Ice-T was touring with his metal band Body Count and he was pretty big too.

I think the Rollins Black Flag stuff is the best although I’ve been told by punk purists that the Ginn Black Flag is better but I don’t see it. “Whos got the 10 and a Half?”

Hennrieta Collins and the Wife Beating Child Haters never ceases to crack me up. [/quote]

I agree the Flag stuff was best, Rollins made the band, F the purists, most of them werent even around when punk was real, I saw BF in 87ish in Montery Ca and they were awsome,I remember I was 17 and 200lbs 6’and looking at my new idol-here was God he was, Buff, i was jiggly, long hair, my mommy never let me have long hair, tattoo’s, please, and the thumping ass bass, Gregg Ginn’s solos the best guitar solo by a man who cant play ever.
Now at 36 years 300lbs 6’3" 400+ bench a Flag song no word of a lie brings me to tears, and gets me sportin wood at the same time, i dont follow the poetry/acting/Rollins band, maybe i shuld.
How about Danzig, not the techno fag but Mother Danzig, another bad ass.

[quote]Billmelater138 wrote:
“I mean, if i could be one thing, ALL the time… besides alive… i’d rather be funny than happy.”

fuck i know this isn’t gonna do that justice, but his timing on that delivery is perfect. and he is a funny guy along with being a badass mofo. as to who would win between those two, i’m gonna have to say rollins. i just get the feeling he’d get the job done.[/quote]

Hell ya Rollins would, Phil is a Drunk/Druggie/Hobo some where talking like “I useto be the guy from Pantera, Damn Metalica,Damn Metalica—hey bud you got some spare change my car is outta gas parked around the corner and i need to get home to San Jose for work tomorrow” hate that guy.