The Hate Soccer Thread

[quote]electric_eales wrote:
Can we just get one thing straight here please its called ‘football’
[/quote]
As the saying goes, America and Britain are divided by a common language.

I think most USA citizens find it boring to watch for a long period of time. Although “hating” it does seem silly.

[quote]Hanzo wrote:
I only tend to watch soccer during the World or Euro Championships but when I do watch I’m the ultimate fan. I think’s it’s the greatest international sport moreso than “club” sport (basketball). Did anyone just see the Sweden-Trinidad & Tobago, no goals sure, but the most exciting i’ve witnessed sportswise since George Mason’s Final Four run. I think soccer is more frustrating to watch than it is boring, no?[/quote]

the game rocked! No goals but kept me on my nerves for 90 minutes. I love the Swedish playing style (except after 80 minutes without any goals i started hoping one of thme would stop the damn teamplay and go for it on his own).

[quote]NealRaymond2 wrote:

I think most USA citizens find it boring to watch for a long period of time. Although “hating” it does seem silly.

[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head with this post. I don’t enjoy NASCAR, so I simply don’t watch, but it would be stupid for me to say I hate it. Stereotyping everyone who does watch or cares about it would be ignorant, kind of like Doogies post!

American Football is pretty much Native American Handball. Football is played with, wow, your FEET. What a concept!

But hey, this is just me. I’m the guy that likes Ice Hockey and Football more than other sports. Baseball is a terror, and basketball is boring to watch (but fun to play - sometimes). American football: Watching guys run into each other over and over again. Yup, that sounds like intelligent Americans at work.

[quote]swivel wrote:
chess is exiting when you understand. poker is exiting when you understand. pool and bowling are exiting when you understand. politics are exiting when you understand. shakespeare is exiting when you understand. nascar is exiting when you understand. bodybuilding is exiting when you understand…[/quote]
I disagree… you can completely understand something and not be interested in it. I don’t know if that qualifies as your definition of “boring” though.

I think soccer would be a lot better with a wider camera angle, because for me it’s really choppy the way the ball flies way down the field to a completely different group of players… only to take a header sending it back down to the other end. For me it’s more frustrating to watch.

To me— watching baseball is boring, it just moves too damn slow to keep my interest, and I feel that it is more of a past time than a sport.

American Football bores me to tears. It’s 10 seconds of action followed by 5 minutes of people standing around.

The first paragraph is written with tongue firmly planted in cheek

Okay, first off we invented our football before your football. You copied your football off our rugby football and baseball off our rounders, but thats another story for another day. The fact that you call it soccer doesnt bother me though, hell, we’d already packed up and left before you started making all the spelling mistakes and other linguistical errors.

Ok, im joking, you’ve had our country by the balls for a few years now, but football is great.

Granted its not the most physical of games and it isn’t even my first sport (rugby), but it is a game of skill and tactics. It can be boring to watch sometimes, but when its hot, its pretty unbelievable.

Heres a clip of the world’s best player showing off:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1177437902170449843&q=ronaldinho

And some cheat from Argentina taking th piss out of us amongst other things, hes not a bad player though:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6259889408063233170&q=maradona

Doogie, I think you were kidding (its hard to tell on the net sometimes) but you have to have respect for skills like these. I think American Football is great as well, but the two are totally different games and impossible to compare.

Anyway, best of luck to the US in this World Cup, unless you meet England of course.

Actually, you will need all the luck you can get if you play England. hahaha

haha my feelings exactly

VorteX, you know that Ronaldinho commercial is fake.

[quote]Boles wrote:
VorteX, you know that Ronaldinho commercial is fake.[/quote]

Ah well, its an advert so it probably is. It did fool me though.

I guess when you see him play you think he can walk on water.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4796506255440203288&q=ronaldinho

This definitely isn’t a fake.

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
I disagree… you can completely understand something and not be interested in it. I don’t know if that qualifies as your definition of “boring” though.
[/quote]

yes, boredom will come from an understanding so thorough it allows you to speculate and predict. this is what betting is for.

this thread from the same guy that thinks he’s tough from doing tae kwon do.

Soccer is fun to play and less boring to watch than some other sports. More boring than others. I can’t believe that anyone is actually more entertained by a 9 inning baseball game than a soccer game.

[quote]doogie wrote:
Soccer is a great sport…

for females, kids under the age of 12, and old men who can’t take the pounding of a real football game.

In America, soccer is played past the age of 12 by only those “males” whose mothers don’t want them to get hurt playing FOOTBALL. I guess there is no harm in keeping the effiminate males in shape.

However, like the other psuedosports of nascar/womens’ basketball, it takes up too much time on Sportscenter.[/quote]

In past discussions on this board it seems soccer (Association football by its full name) is fast becomming the most participated sport in the US. For females i think this is already the case (Along with Rugby football).
If soccer is ever truely embraced by the US (This World cup might help to achieve this) i expect a lot of guys here and elsewhere in the states to take a total U turn and turn into footy fans.
Besides the olympics, this is one global event where you get to comptete against the World, not just the best club teams in North America.

HH - again you have proved your wothyness to pick the peanuts out of my shite.

[quote]VorteX wrote:
Boles wrote:

[/quote]

here’s a vid of them filming that ad. :

Having had to endure England vs. Paraguay sitting in a pub today, I can clearly say that I am bored by almost any sport on a TV screen (one of the reasons why I don’t have a TV) - lucky I had a paper to read. :wink:

On the other hand, football is a tremendously demanding sport if you actually play it, and it keeps you fit on all levels, which is cool. So, yeay football, boo for just watching it.

Makkun

[quote]swivel wrote:
VorteX wrote:
Boles wrote:

here’s a vid of them filming that ad. :

[/quote]

haha, thats awesome!

[quote]colonelquack wrote:
American football: Watching guys run into each other over and over again. Yup, that sounds like intelligent Americans at work.[/quote]

hahaha

As a Hockey fan which is more misunderstood and far less accepted than Soccer who cares. The best part of Soccer is watching the mothers at the local kids game. Yeah, the World Cup is fine and all that, but is it doesn’t hold a candle to Billy’s mom (the red head) ripping the shirt off of Julie (hot brunette). That is really what Soccer is about. Fat middle-aged women ruining the game game for a bunch of kids who don’t see it that seriously. Other than that the World Cup is just a bunch of men running around in boxer shorts, while a bunch of bigger fatter men watch and drink Guinness.

Footballs a great sport to watch unfortunately it can be awful to watch at times as well.Whats worse is that the sport is being ruined by cheats and negative tactics.

I think american football is a great sport to watch but i hate the fact that it takes four hours to play a one hour game.( I watch the condensed version on SkySports most off the time )

I can understand why a lot of americans find soccer boring though. I personally cant stand watching basketball. Its a great sport to play and a great way of staying in shape but watching it drives me crazy. For a variety of reasons I just find it dull. I know basketball players are great athletes with amazing skills but I just cant stand watching it. In the same way that a lot of people hate watching soccer I hate watching basketball.