The Happening

[quote]eic wrote:
Maybe they’d colonized all the other planets with resources and this was the next on their list. The real problem is not so much that they had a sensitivity to water and came to Earth anyway. The problem is that they did so without wearing HAZMAT-type gear to protect themselves. All they had to do is wear a suit like you saw in Outbreak and they would have been kicking some serious human ass, supersoakers or not. [/quote]

But since they have the technology and know-how to get to another planet, don’t you think they’d take the proper precautions before setting foot on the soil, like wearing suits you described? Our primitive species even figured that out before leaving the planet.

I’m more interested in this Dario Argintinios third witch film 20yrs in the making. This guy does some scary shit

I thought Wahlberg was awesome in “The Big Hit” :wink:

I like Wahlberg. The Departed was excellent. Planet Of The Apes was alright. Rockstar was fun.

I also liked The Sixth Sense as well as Unbreakable (probably one of the most quietly powerful films ever made, IMHO). Just because Shyamalan has made a few clunkers doesn’t mean he’s lost his craft. Heck, Picasso painted thousands of clunkers. lol

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I like Wahlberg. The Departed was excellent. Planet Of The Apes was alright. Rockstar was fun.

[/quote]

Steel Dragon rulez!!

I’ve actually liked all of Shyamalan’s movies. Even Lady In The Water. Then again, I usually saw these movies after they’d been out on DVD for a while and since so many people had told me how terrible they are, I wasn’t expecting much.

OK so everyone dies for no discernable reason… how the fuck can this movie possibly be resolved? “Everyone dies” with no explanation is fucking stupid. It’ll have some retarded plot twist at the end, which will make little to no sense or be incredibly lame, and like two people will survive in a conclusionless story.

Shyamalan sucks. Period. Sixth sense is the most over rated movie I’ve ever seen.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I also liked The Sixth Sense as well as Unbreakable (probably one of the most quietly powerful films ever made, IMHO).

[/quote]

This is DEFINITELY true. I always thought this was one of the more underrated films to come out in the last decade or so. It just got so overlooked because of The Sixth Sense, and the stinker Signs that came after. I still put this in my top 10-20 movies, and I’m no M. Night fan.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
OK so everyone dies for no discernable reason… how the fuck can this movie possibly be resolved? “Everyone dies” with no explanation is fucking stupid. It’ll have some retarded plot twist at the end, which will make little to no sense or be incredibly lame, and like two people will survive in a conclusionless story.[/quote]

I saw a preview for this that was different than the rest. As far as I could tell, the actual act of things happening has something to do with a weapon or warfare, or something like that. I’m sure there’s sites with all sorts of speculation and shit out already.

[quote]jpb wrote:
The Sixth Sense was cool; The Village was the worst movie I ever saw.

I doubt I’ll ever watch one of his movies again…

jpb[/quote]

Ya The Village was the worst movie I have ever seen!

Before this thread dies forever, did anyone else come to the conclusion in The Village that the entire ‘colony’ or whatever you wanted to call it was eventually bound for in-breeding? Yet another incredibly well-thought scenario by M. Night.

I just saw this. I thought some of the dialog was down right silly, but they did manage to build some suspense in the movie. They also went farther than usual with some of the death scenes as far as what they showed. The suicides and head shots make it worth a rental.

There is no twist in this. They let on early on what they think the problem is.

Best character in the movie: Mrs. Jones the old lady at the end

This also has to be the worst use of Wahlberg in a movie ever. You can’t see him as being that innocent and optimistic. Why even write the character like that?

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
a lot of people bad mouthed Signs, but I thought it was a pretty good movie :shrug:[/quote]

Signs was a good movie-the happening is not. Oh it has its moments like the first 5 minutes. I thought the supporting cast was decent but, I thought Walberg struggled with the role. The leading lady, a cutie, I thought also was weak.
I’m retired and see a lot of movies.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

I did think it was cool when the dude lay down in front of the lawnmower though. Not that I would choose that method myself :wink:

BBB[/quote]

I liked that scene too…and I guess I agree with you on there other points. I just don’t consider is pure garbage. Real garbage is shit you can’t even sit through. I watched this all of the way through without using it for frisbee practice into oncoming traffic.

Shamalama’s sense of how humans speak to each other in real situations needs much work. I couldn’t see any of these people actually functioning in real life…except for maybe Mrs. Jones.

I like the “concept” of his movies. The Village could of been made into an extremely creepy/suspenseful movie without the plot twist at the end.

Same thing with Signs. Even if he changed the alien weakness to something a bit more subtle, there could of been something there.

I watched it last week. It was a waste of my time. There’s no fucking story. Plants are pissed off and kill people a bit. End movie. There’s little sense of danger as one can tell Shamalama isn’t going to kill his core three. Seriously, they were standing in a giant field where everyone else was fucked, and they were twenty feet away.

Mrs Jones was the only redeeming part, and if she was better used it could have been a great movie. Start with the stupid plants toxin thing, and end up with creepy Mrs. Jones being absolutely fuck-nuts crazy.

But he didn’t use her.

Awful acting, pathetic plot, and an even worse ending. Seriosly, 95% of North East America commits suicide and there’s school bus service 3 months later?

Fuck off M. Night; you’re useless as a film writer.

Biggest waste of $5.00 ever…

It would have been more satisfying tossing my cash out the fucking window on the way to Blockbusters.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
I watched it last week. It was a waste of my time. There’s no fucking story. Plants are pissed off and kill people a bit. End movie. There’s little sense of danger as one can tell Shamalama isn’t going to kill his core three. Seriously, they were standing in a giant field where everyone else was fucked, and they were twenty feet away.

Mrs Jones was the only redeeming part, and if she was better used it could have been a great movie. Start with the stupid plants toxin thing, and end up with creepy Mrs. Jones being absolutely fuck-nuts crazy.

But he didn’t use her.[/quote]

They should have done the whole movie about her. As it stands, I may never actually pay for another Sham movie again.

I hate that he is doing Avatar- The Last Air Bender. It is like he has decent ideas…but he can’t put them on paper well.

The Happening was one of the worst, most politically charged movies I’ve seen in a while. They treated the freaking plants like they had brains and could communicate with each other and had feelings and periods and emotions and crap, come on.

My theory is that the true intent of the movie was to see the most inventive was people would commit suicide in after watching it. Because I know after watching it, I wanted to kill myself for watching that garbage.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
The Happening was one of the worst, most politically charged movies I’ve seen in a while. They treated the freaking plants like they had brains and could communicate with each other and had feelings and periods and emotions and crap, come on.

My theory is that the true intent of the movie was to see the most inventive was people would commit suicide in after watching it. Because I know after watching it, I wanted to kill myself for watching that garbage. [/quote]

Pure Gold…

I just watched The 300 for the 5th time tonight.

I’m healed.