The Happening

with Mark Wahlberg, looks like it has good potential, and the majority of his movies are awesome.
looking forward to seeing it

Shamalyan sp? hasn’t made a halfway decent movie since 6th Sense. I predict that this movie will be worse than anything you have ever seen, lol!

Also, ‘We Own The Night’ was possibly the worst movie ever made and I like Marky Mark a lot. After that turd I trust him slightly less.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
with Mark Wahlberg, looks like it has good potential, and the majority of his movies are awesome.
looking forward to seeing it[/quote]

Hmm…

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/reviews/article.asp/aid/7903/tcid/1

Sorry to disappoint.

The most obvious fault in “The Happening” is the acting – in particular Wahlberg’s performance. I’m saying this with no hyperbole, but Wahlberg might very well give the worst performance I’ve ever seen in anything. He’s that bad. His character is a passive aggressive high-school teacher and each line in delivered with nasally whines that sound like some strange parody. As bad as the rest of the movie is, Wahlberg is the part that the internet is going to eat alive. But is it really his fault? Wahlberg’s proven himself with “I (Heart) Huckabees” and his amazing turn in “The Departed”. I can’t help but feel that Shyamalan – intentionally or otherwise – is ultimately to blame for forcing some truly awful line readings.

Shamawhatever had a lot of potential. Unfortunately you also had magazines like Time (I think?) putting him on the cover with the caption: The Next Spielberg!

Is it any wonder he got an ego?

I’m willing to give this movie a chance, but M. Night hasn’t made anything worth a damn since Unbreakable. He’s sort of a pretentious ass, and all of his movies move at a painstakingly slow pace.

That being said, I’ll still probably see it… because I’m a douche-bag.

The Sixth Sense was cool; The Village was the worst movie I ever saw.

I doubt I’ll ever watch one of his movies again…

jpb

I think the 6th sense and unbreakable are great. I think the village, signs and particularly lady in the water sucked shit. This actually looks like it could be good, but so did his last three. I think people still see his movies at the off chance he makes another 6th sense. I’ll still probably see it.

M. Night Shamalamadingdong isn’t getting anymore of my money. I wasn’t impressed with 6th Sense or Unbreakable and Signs was an unintentional comedy.

a lot of people bad mouthed Signs, but I thought it was a pretty good movie :shrug:

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
a lot of people bad mouthed Signs, but I thought it was a pretty good movie :shrug:[/quote]

I like Signs too. I think 99% of the movie is genius. Normally an alien-invasion scenario is portrayed in an urban environment. It is innovative to imagine what would be like to be way out in the country watching things unfold in the world beyond. That brings a new dimension of isolation and fear to it. Also, I thought that the depictions of how the invasion might unfold–crop circles, escalating activity caught on video, etc.–was very well done.

It also had moments of genuine suspense. The dog barking outside and then being silenced with a painful whimper is a good example. You knew that the aliens were coming and that they were aggressive.

Unfortunately, the movie turned to shit with the ending. It ruined an otherwise awesome movie. Plus, the fact that Mel Gibson is an anti-Semite makes it difficult to watch ever again. (Same goes for Braveheart and the Lethal Weapon movies.)

agree completely about signs. great movie with a bad ending. as for Shyamalan, i think he needs to take a break from doing thrillers and maybe try his hand at a different type of movie. i think he’s milked the sixth sense style plot twist gener about as much as he can

Unbreakable was probably my favourite movie of his. However, I can’t stand the typical epiphany scene that’s in all of his movies where the revelation music kicks in. Seriously time for him to get a new gimmick. Lady in the Water sucked ass as well.

I do enjoy Mark Wahlberg though; Four Brothers is one of my favourite recent movies. Guess I’ll wait for some more reviews and possibly just download it.

Marky Mark is hit or miss as an actor. He’s had some good roles like the Yards, Boogie Nights and the Corrupter and then some awful performances like Shooter, Big Hit and Planet of the Apes.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
Marky Mark is hit or miss as an actor. He’s had some good roles like the Yards, Boogie Nights and the Corrupter and then some awful performances like Shooter, Big Hit and Planet of the Apes.[/quote]

I agree, I could take or leave him. He’s only as good as the movie he’s in, where there are some actors that give great performances, even if the rest of the movie is terrible.

Having said that, I am looking forward to this film. I reserve judgment until I actually see it.

shooter was an awesome movie. probably his 2nd best behind Fear

Signs = Aliens that could travel [presumably] millions of light years, but couldn’t get through wooden doors.

Odd.

[quote]SSC wrote:
Signs = Aliens that could travel [presumably] millions of light years, but couldn’t get through wooden doors.

Odd.[/quote]

That’s pretty bad. I’m not sure if it’s as bad as an advanced alien race that can be taken down by a single Mac though.

[quote]SSC wrote:

Odd.[/quote]

Even worse, their main weakness is water, yet they travel to a planet made up of mostly water.

[quote]Reef wrote:
SSC wrote:

Odd.

Even worse, their main weakness is water, yet they travel to a planet made up of mostly water.[/quote]

Maybe they’d colonized all the other planets with resources and this was the next on their list. The real problem is not so much that they had a sensitivity to water and came to Earth anyway. The problem is that they did so without wearing HAZMAT-type gear to protect themselves. All they had to do is wear a suit like you saw in Outbreak and they would have been kicking some serious human ass, supersoakers or not.