THE GYM on FitTV: OUCH!

You know what guys?

“The Gym” is starting to “grow” on me!

Something I wanted you guys thoughts on. Some of these trainers clients have been with them for YEARS…and as you look at their “workouts”, they are really more “get togethers” or social support gatherings than workouts (even though the clients are sometimes put through the paces).

I never recognized that there could be such a long Trainer/Client relationship like many of these guys have.

Any thoughts?

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
You know what guys?

“The Gym” is starting to “grow” on me!

Something I wanted you guys thoughts on. Some of these trainers clients have been with them for YEARS…and as you look at their “workouts”, they are really more “get togethers” or social support gatherings than workouts (even though the clients are sometimes put through the paces).

I never recognized that there could be such a long Trainer/Client relationship like many of these guys have.

Any thoughts?

Mufasa[/quote]

I wasn’t a personal trainer for very long, but in that time, it was what kept many of the women returning (I never trained guys, not that I wouldn’t, I just never did).

If they don’t get along with you and feel comfortable with you, they probably won’t keep coming back. My personal opinion is, when it comes to women more than anything, is that the personal connection needs to be there even before the results.

PS, I have never seen the show as it is hard enough for me just to catch CSI randomly (the only show I can say that I do watch). I probably just need Tivo.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
[/quote]

I knew someone who hated her overweight overbearing client but kept training her for months because she needed the extra cash. The client cancelled all the time, wouldn’t stick to a healthy diet, wouldn’t work nearly as hard as her trainer wanted her to and actually ended up gaining a considerable amount of weight while going to her training sessions. In the trainer’s mind… her client was just paying to socialize and have a friend.

Ok I just watched the meet the trainers portion of the website. Gotta say that is the gayest shit ever. I have been a personal trainer for a little bit and I hate the image that most of them portray. It seems like all the guys are douchebags and most of the women trainers I have met don’t know shit about shit. Just a broad generalization

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
It was painful. I saw the one where Matt trys to train the comedian… absolutely rediculous. They both acted like they were 8 years old.

I know that trainers have to cater to clients’ wants to an extent, but some of the things they do and recommend… absurd. Part of a trainer’s job is to educate the client as to what is best, find out their wants, and meet a common ground.

I do give Matt props for telling the little guy to squat lower, though.

-Dan[/quote]

lol what did the little guy say? (all due respect, I’m a little guy myself).
It’s about friggin time people are being told to not squat like 6 inches
before parallel. I have yet to see that
in my gym (with the exception of two guys I saw, and me). I work out at a college gym, so its common.

Hell 6" before parallel is amazing as far as I’m concerned when watching others. I go ass to the grass but I watch others and many are lucky to move 6" downward at all.

Ahh yes, 1/8th squats have been invented. I patent that name.

1/8 squats lol I’ve seen those. When people say that 250 is not alot of weight they are either a. beyond that
level or b. squatting way too damn high! I remember watching a video in a nutrition class, and saw a guy with 315
(weighing no more than 150) doing 1/16 squats. Look at your clock at 7, and you’ll see his knee and hip angle. Most
people can’t do two plates a side because most people don’t go that low.
That position is too weak.

I’ve seen one episode. The black female trainer was such a bitch! A young kid asked if he could work in with one of her clients and she “No. We’re very teritorial, we are using this. Go do squats you need some legs.” Then her client gets in on the kid. Later on the kid is doing flys and she comes over and asks how sets he has left and he says 4 or 5. Shes says she’ll give him one and he has to move. She said she has already seen him do 2 sets and 3 is enough. And then she actually kicks the kid off the machine. Then she goes and complains to the manager about him.
What a F**KING BITCH!

The reason that most trainers, pt’s, and orthopedic surgeons give for the half ass squat is that in the 90 degree position the knee is weakest and more prone to injury. So i tell them to try a full squat position like they are sitting on their heels and realize that is the most stable knee position. That’s the reason i have my clients go below 90 atg. only if they have no existing knee problems, and depending on the knee problem i may still encourage the ass to grass squat.

[quote]Z2nd_Comng wrote:
I’ve seen one episode. The black female trainer was such a bitch! A young kid asked if he could work in with one of her clients and she “No. We’re very teritorial, we are using this. Go do squats you need some legs.” Then her client gets in on the kid. Later on the kid is doing flys and she comes over and asks how sets he has left and he says 4 or 5. Shes says she’ll give him one and he has to move. She said she has already seen him do 2 sets and 3 is enough. And then she actually kicks the kid off the machine. Then she goes and complains to the manager about him.
What a F**KING BITCH!
[/quote]
Remind me to stay away from that gym. I
don’t need a little rat who kicks little kids who want to get stronger off equipment. What if his dad was there? THEN SHE COMPLAINS TO THE MANAGER ABOUT HIM? I’ll make an alternate scenario with me being the manager: Woman: Excuse me sir, this boy is working too hard, and is really disturbing the rest of us, so I kicked him off the machine, and I can’t
take it anymore! Me: You kicked him off, so I’m kicking you off! You’re fired! (presses button, trap door opens
revealing electric eel pit). Woman: Aaaaaahhh bbbzzzzzztt zzzzpaaaaaapppp
sizzzle. lol

[quote]DaveF wrote:

Remind me to stay away from that gym. I
don’t need a little rat who kicks little kids who want to get stronger off equipment. What if his dad was there? THEN SHE COMPLAINS TO THE MANAGER ABOUT HIM? I’ll make an alternate scenario with me being the manager: Woman: Excuse me sir, this boy is working too hard, and is really disturbing the rest of us, so I kicked him off the machine, and I can’t
take it anymore! Me: You kicked him off, so I’m kicking you off! You’re fired! (presses button, trap door opens
revealing electric eel pit). Woman: Aaaaaahhh bbbzzzzzztt zzzzpaaaaaapppp
sizzzle. lol
[/quote]

Good one. Also when I said kid I meant he was like 20 years old. A kid to her.

I just watched the videos for the trainers. Oh. My. God. What a collection of morons!

Except for that cop guy, he seemed pretty easy going. Jeeez the others though, where did they find these guys?

Yea watchin the show is rough…the one female trainer pissed me off…the broad who claims her way is better on everything from ab exercises to curls (“She shouldn’t extend fully”)