The Guilt from Missed Sessions

Does anyone else get ‘the guilt’ when they miss a session? Need to get it in my head that missing one session isnt the end of the world. But then I look at people in my catagory snatching more than I can squat and feel like a piece of sh1t and hang my woes on the missed session…no way its just me?

I dislike rest days. I feel like I should be training but I know my body needs the rest.

No man.

I’m a twice a week guy now…I can always train twice a week.

Koing

I used to but now I hav convinced myself that most of the time I need to recover more than I think, and I can only work out as much as my brain wants to for limited bursts.

See, today is the longest time I’ve had off in a year. Trained pretty much every day other than when I’ve HAD to miss sessions. The longest consecutive amount I’ve had is 2 days off at any one time. Feel like a slob on one hand, and glad for the mental/physical break on the other. Doesnt help I cant hook grip atm, due to snapping my thumb nail on a snatch. Seems I have it worse than most with the guilt. Want to at least qualify for the Euro’s in my lifting career though.

[quote]Ed Ache wrote:
See, today is the longest time I’ve had off in a year. Trained pretty much every day other than when I’ve HAD to miss sessions. The longest consecutive amount I’ve had is 2 days off at any one time. Feel like a slob on one hand, and glad for the mental/physical break on the other. Doesnt help I cant hook grip atm, due to snapping my thumb nail on a snatch. Seems I have it worse than most with the guilt. Want to at least qualify for the Euro’s in my lifting career though.[/quote]

I wanted to make worlds etc… as well, but for me it wasn’t going to happen because im just not genetically gifted enough to do so.

I never missed a planned session for almost 6 years (there were rare planed breaks by my coach).

If your talented/gifted enough to make euros, then missing one training session on a rare occasion will not stop you.

P.S. if you watch the documentary “school of champions” where they follow the Bulgarian team for several months. there’s a point where Ivan Abadjiev is upset because Antonio Krastev had missed 2 or 3 days in a row. Later that year, Krastev snatched the all time world record I believe.

Oh dude if you are at that level dont listen to me - I am just a microsoft excel jockey with a strength hobby that I take more seriously than my life really warrants haha.

[quote]milktruck wrote:
Oh dude if you are at that level dont listen to me - I am just a microsoft excel jockey with a strength hobby that I take more seriously than my life really warrants haha.[/quote]

Dude, I’m a 94 lifter with a comp best of 240 and training lifts of 265. I’m not even the strongest 94 in my club. My progress has been April 2010 80/100, April 2011 100/120, April 2012 120/145. I really want 140/160 by April 2013, but I’ll have to get stuck in. Broz seemed to think it was possible. Euro qualifer for me would be 330. Want to hit it before I’m 33, that gives me 10 years in the sport,

Tork- I’m not such a believer in talent, I think it can play a part but I have always thought effort trumps it. The book ‘Bounce’ is worth a read if you’ve never read it.

[quote]Ed Ache wrote:

[quote]milktruck wrote:
Oh dude if you are at that level dont listen to me - I am just a microsoft excel jockey with a strength hobby that I take more seriously than my life really warrants haha.[/quote]

Dude, I’m a 94 lifter with a comp best of 240 and training lifts of 265. I’m not even the strongest 94 in my club. My progress has been April 2010 80/100, April 2011 100/120, April 2012 120/145. I really want 140/160 by April 2013, but I’ll have to get stuck in. Broz seemed to think it was possible. Euro qualifer for me would be 330. Want to hit it before I’m 33, that gives me 10 years in the sport,

Tork- I’m not such a believer in talent, I think it can play a part but I have always thought effort trumps it. The book ‘Bounce’ is worth a read if you’ve never read it.[/quote]

140/160? Dude, you’ll be CJ 168+ if you Sn 140 man!!!

Talent will limit people. I know not everyone is meant to Sn 130+ man…I know how much effort it takes to do 130 and I know some people will NEVER Sn 130 if their life depended on it. No f0cking way some people are going to do it. 100 yes, but 130 is a lot heavier. 30kg is a chunk on top of 100…

Yes training effort is a huge leveler but the guys that Sn 145+ are genetically gifted and work f0cking hard as well. There is a reason why few people Sn 145+ and hell that isn’t even a huge weight!!!

Koing

[quote]Ed Ache wrote:

[quote]milktruck wrote:

Tork- I’m not such a believer in talent, I think it can play a part but I have always thought effort trumps it. The book ‘Bounce’ is worth a read if you’ve never read it.[/quote]

U can not believe in talent all you want, but some where out there are men who are just born freaks who could come in to the gym and lift more then most people could do after actually training for years.

[quote]tork94 wrote:

[quote]Ed Ache wrote:

[quote]milktruck wrote:

U can not believe in talent all you want, but some where out there are men who are just born freaks who could come in to the gym and lift more then most people could do after actually training for years.
[/quote]

How many guys do you know that can jump over 36inches?

Hard work does not mean you some people will EVER jump at least 32inches…and 32inches is not even a crazy high number but a very respectable number. 36inches is MUCH higher and some people will literally NEVER get 36inches if their life depended on it.

Some standards yes, but others no. 26inches, yes you can train to do that, but from 26 to 32 is a no go for a lot of people. Some people will have the ability to do it, but others not.

Strength is much much more trainable than RFD and why you can improve your strength a lot more than your vert.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]tork94 wrote:

[quote]Ed Ache wrote:

[quote]milktruck wrote:

[/quote]

How many guys do you know that can jump over 36inches?

Hard work does not mean you some people will EVER jump at least 32inches…and 32inches is not even a crazy high number but a very respectable number. 36inches is MUCH higher and some people will literally NEVER get 36inches if their life depended on it.

Some standards yes, but others no. 26inches, yes you can train to do that, but from 26 to 32 is a no go for a lot of people. Some people will have the ability to do it, but others not.

Strength is much much more trainable than RFD and why you can improve your strength a lot more than your vert.

Koing[/quote]

Do you mean box jump or jumping up vertical thing?

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
Do you mean box jump or jumping up vertical thing?
[/quote]

I believe he is talking about vertical jumping. You wouldn’t have to have a very high vertical at all to be able to do a 36 inch box jump.

I hear what Tork and Koing are saying. Obviously, it takes a very special type of person to make it to the world stage, but that special comes from a combination of genetics and pure will.

Ed has the right mindset. Regardless of whether or not he has the ‘genetics’ to achieve his goal, he has the mindset necessary to achieve it. Effort trumps all. If you don’t believe that to your very core you will never put in the hard motherfucking work necessary to reach your maximum potential, whether that potential be 100/125 or 150/200. And having the right mindset is the first step. Without it you could have the best genetics in the world and it wouldn’t matter because you would never realize your potential, imo. And even if you have the worst genetics in the world, if you’re willing to give it your all, who cares? At least you dedicated yourself to an art and a goal and fought tooth and nail to reach it. That’s admirable in itself.

I say keep pushing it, Ed.

[quote]ape288 wrote:
I hear what Tork and Koing are saying. Obviously, it takes a very special type of person to make it to the world stage, but that special comes from a combination of genetics and pure will.

Ed has the right mindset. Regardless of whether or not he has the ‘genetics’ to achieve his goal, he has the mindset necessary to achieve it. Effort trumps all. If you don’t believe that to your very core you will never put in the hard motherfucking work necessary to reach your maximum potential, whether that potential be 100/125 or 150/200. And having the right mindset is the first step. Without it you could have the best genetics in the world and it wouldn’t matter because you would never realize your potential, imo. And even if you have the worst genetics in the world, if you’re willing to give it your all, who cares? At least you dedicated yourself to an art and a goal and fought tooth and nail to reach it. That’s admirable in itself.

I say keep pushing it, Ed. [/quote]

Funny how the top lifters are always the ones who people always say have the best genetics.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]ape288 wrote:

I say keep pushing it, Ed. [/quote]

Funny how the top lifters are always the ones who people always say have the best genetics.
[/quote]

Great genetics+great mindset>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>great mindset+shitty genetics

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
[/quote]

Great genetics+great mindset>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>great mindset+shitty genetics[/quote]

Yessir, I kind of alluded to that in my post. But you can only control what you can control =)

[quote]ape288 wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:
[/quote]

Great genetics+great mindset>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>great mindset+shitty genetics[/quote]

Yessir, I kind of alluded to that in my post. But you can only control what you can control =)[/quote]

Yeah, I think most of us are on roughly the same page here.

[quote]tork94 wrote:

[quote]Ed Ache wrote:

[quote]milktruck wrote:

[/quote]

I’m not a total idiot. I get there are some monsters out there, pretty sure it was Terry Hollands who first time he went to a gym deadlifted 200. What I’m trying to say is that with a ton of hard work I have the ability to hit the B class in the Euro’s as a minimum. If I dont get there it wont be from lack of hours in the gym.

and hey, what are you going to do, not give it a shot? any level genetics + not trying = shit