The Grind...

welcome. I don’t mind bb’ers. Canadians however…

just kidding.

Have you stepped on the stage oiled and spray on tanned yet? Or have plans too?

welcome. I don’t mind bb’ers. Canadians however…

just kidding.

Have you stepped on the stage oiled and spray on tanned yet? Or have plans too?

Welcome to the old folks home. We take all kinds. Always feel free to ask questions, we all do.

Pete you forgot the all important banana hammock.

^ Bulldog some of us try to keep that image out of our mind.

Okay, here begins a response in several parts. I’ll start with my training logs from the past couple workouts. I’m in my 3rd phase of 531, mid-way through day 3, which is the 90% day. Compared to all the beefy dudes and babes here, this is somewhat feeble, but my sheer AWESOMENESS will have to make up the difference until I get diesel.

Tuesday
Squats (ass to grass) - 5x225, 3x240, 4x275
A1 Front Squat - 3x10x135
A2 Seated Calf - 3x10x90
B1 Leg Press - 5x6x450
B2 Lunges - 5x5x135

Thursday
Bench - 5x175, 3x190, 5x215
A1 Rollouts - 3x11
A2 French Press - 3x10x80
B1 Dips - 5x6xBW+30
B2 Shrugs - 5x11x225

Other complicating factors that increase the SUCK of my chest movements is an old nerve injury from 2 years ago that has left me with some residual weakness in my right pec and tricep. I’ve mostly gained back all the lost ground, but it continues to be an issue at the end of the set when my right arm will suddenly, and without warning, FAIL. Big weight plunges down at my head and neck… you get the picture… worthy of America’s Funniest Home Videos.

I’m also struggling with some old tendonitis issues that left me hopelessly addicted to wrist straps, and the grip strength of an arthitic power knitting champion. My grip is a big area of focus. Lots of suitcase carries, plate pinches, fat bar work, etc. etc. etc.

Tomorrow I’ll post my diet. As a quick preview, I’ll offer that you’ll find it bland, tasteless, and excruciatingly dull.

But first a few stinging words of sarcasm, to all the nice folks who’ve deluged this VIRGINAL new log of mine with filth and sexual innuendo in just the first 48 hours.

KP - … your new avatar photo is making it really hard to concentrate… I think you said something about calories… what was that again?

Albino - Thanks for the welcome. I’ll try and slut the place up so that I can make the rest of y’all feel more at home. I went to your log. You are strong like bull.

Bulldog - Well if you’re a “reformed” bodybuilder you should have lots of good advice. I’ll pick your brains when I get the tapioca in my head arranged in good enough order to form a decent question. And I don’t own a banana hammock, but I do own a purple tiger print speedo from back when I was on the swim team. I’m sure I got a photo somehere…

Null - WAS cut. Now I’m kinda sloppy. I’ll get it back for summer when I can mow the lawn shirtless. I tried shovelling the driveway shirtless but none of the neighbohood ladies could see em through the ice fog. The sexiness and AWESOMENESS however, can be bathed in at all times.

Pete - Compete!!! Ha hah! That’s funny. A nice ego stroke, but funny. I’m about 30 pounds too light to be competitive at my height. Add to that there’s no natural division in my province, and I’m WAAAAAY out of my league to be competing. I’ve done a couple of low-key on-line contests for bragging rights and a little swag, which is why I dieted as hard as I did, but that’s likely as far as I can take it. The other side is that a hard cutting diet really affects my ability to be a good dad and husband. By the end I was tired, cranky, and MEAN. I was less of a parent, and that was a high price to pay. I don’t think I could ask my family to go through the hell of contest prep just to satisfy my own ego. And besides, I’d get my ass handed to me…

DJ - Oh don’t worry, the questions will come. I also visited your log. You’re a highly interesting dude!

Hey Canada!
I remember you from PN…tried to keep up with your log and failed. I had a log over there myself for a time, but chose TN as my permanent home.

Good to see you over here!

Welcome and props for having the discipline and dedication to get a pic like that. At 175 I dont look anything like that…that took incredible effort I am sure.

[quote]Canada_K wrote:

Bulldog - . And I don’t own a banana hammock, but I do own a purple tiger print speedo from back when I was on the swim team. I’m sure I got a photo somehere…

[/quote]

As much as I appreciate the thought… I can honestly say, that will not be necessary.

[quote]Canada_K wrote:

DJ - Oh don’t worry, the questions will come. I also visited your log. You’re a highly interesting dude![/quote]

Well my wife thinks so, but the kids think I am an old stick in the mud. Again welcome and good luck with the 5/3/1 been doing it now for 14 months.

Welcome. Sorry I’m late. Been busy during the holiday season. Glad to have you aboard.

Saturday
My experiment with high volume hit me like a swift kick to the groin.

Deadlift - 5x225, 3x250, 7x280 (that’s a big ol’ PR, folks! Yah for the little guys!)
A1 deadlift - 3x10x225
A2 fat bar laterals - 3x10x30
B1 incline db bench - 3x5x80
B2 db rows - 3x5x70
C1 plate pinches - 2x10 lb plates 45s, 35s, 40s
C2 straight leg calf raise - 3x20x240

The B superset was supposed to be 5x5 but I was so gassed I quit. I’m stoked about the deadlift. My calculated 1RM would be 336, which is 40lb better than when I started. Of course a lot of that was just gains that come from learning how to pull properly… it’s probably time for me to start whoring for advice from this crowd now that I’m surrounded by big-a$$ lifters. I’ll bring the camera and shoot video next deadlift day.

I’ve seen absolutely NO strength improvement on the upper body lifts… dammit.

Sunday
Spin class, 45 minutes, 20 km.

Good GOD those spin-people are perky! It took a sheer effort of will not to pick up the bike and heave it at instructor just to get her to SHUT THE FUCK UP!!! Or maybe I’m just grumpy. Probably the second one.

“Hey, Rick! Do you have any meat in your bag?”
“No, Alice, just a couple of nuts.”

The entire class titters.

“Would those be brazilian?”

Loud guffaws from the men, the ladies cover the mouths and look at each other, yours truly throws up in his mouth.

Spin class people are FUCKED IN THE HEAD. I think I’ll go back next week.

But I need some kind of conditioning work and just don’t feel like thinking it up on my own. I also did a kick-boxing class last week. I’ve taken kickboxing lessons before, so I know how to punch properly. When a person punches through the legs and back, a couple minutes of puching can totally gas a person out. By the end of the class I was dripping sweat. My entire torso was sore for days. LOVED IT. The only downside was the room full of middle aged women shooting daggers at me when I entered the room telling me subliminaly to “get the F##K OUT!!!”.

I glared right back at them. I stayed. Suck it June Cleaver.

As promised, my diet plan later today.

I know you’re probably all just drooling in anticipation of seeing this… here’s my basi food plan for a workout day. I’d actually be interested in seeing if anybody here has advice or comments. I typically workout at 6:30 am right after waking.

Wake-up & post workout (540 cal, F/C/P: 3/72/56)

• 2 scoop whey
  • 2 scoop Gatorade

Breakfast (420 cal, F/C/P: 22/25/30)

• 1 cup oatmeal
  • 4 eggs
  • peppers, mushrooms, asparagus

2nd breakfast (600 cal, F/C/P: 23/52/46)

• 5 oz teriyaki ground beef
  • broccoli
  • 1 cup rice

Lunch (400 cal, F/C/P: 24/2/54)

• 5 oz mexican spiced chicken
  • peppers, mushrooms, salsa
  • 1/4 cup grated cheese

2nd Lunch (425 cal, F/C/P: 23/9/49)

• spinach, zuchinni, green onions
  • 1/4 avocado
  • 1 can tuna
  • 1 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar

Supper (500 cal, F/C/P: 28/14/51)

• 5 ox chicken
  • Broccoli
  • Spinach salad
  • 1/4 avocado
  • 1 tbsp olive oil, balsamic vinegar

2nd Supper (275 cal, F/C/P: 19/9/22)

• 1 scoop whey
  • 1/4 cup almonds

Night Feed (380 cal, F/C/P: 18/14/36)

• 1 cup cottage cheese
  • 2 tbsp natural pb

TOTAL 3550 cal, F/C/P: 160/198/343

There ya go. It’s slightly different on non-trianing days, but that’s pretty much the menu every single day. And yes, I did count every damned calorie. I’m an engineer, it’s in the blood. Plus I’m just a weeee bit obssessive… excuse I have to go wash my hands 13 times.

Yeah… I’m late… welcome fellow Canuckian.

Nice lifting by the way… and that is one helluva strict diet, kudos to you.

Most of us (well… maybe just me :P) like the powerlifting due to the fact that the diet is not real difficult. And most of us… ok, maybe just me… would like to shed a few pounds of bodyfat.

But, it is winter up here, and need something to keep us warm… other than whiskey and, well… you know!

Where are you in Alberta? I have a son in Cold Lake…

bunny - I live in Medicine Hat, but I’m from Edmonton. I don’t… erm… sorry what the hell is with “bunny”??? I’m having issues getting past “bunny”. I agree that most of the folks here call themselves “powerlfters” because it doesn’t require any control over eating. Throw in carb partitioning and every last one of you guys would be bodybuilders by accident.

hel - Thanks for the welcome. Nice dress.

DJ - For the first 11 years of our kids’ lives we are the coolest person on the planet. Then for the teen years we become lame. I gotta milk that first phase for as long as it lasts.

Goat - Cutting just takes bull-headed stubbornnes and a high threshold for discomfort. Marriage is excellent training, as is parenting. There’s not a gal or guy here that couldn’t do the same… you included. And by the way in those pictures I was 165. Crazy… I weigh 20 lbs more no without even trying.

MD Mom - A PN sistah! “Made your home here”… I’ll say! 10,000 posts later you can call yourself part-owner. Now what was your screen name over at PN? And there is no shame in not being able to keep up with my PN logs. They were, of course, AWESOME, but the verbal diarrhea was appalling.

bulldog - Oh you know you want it… you know you want the speedo… YOU WANT THE SPEEDO!!!

Taken a couple years ago on a dare. Still, clearly, AWESOME!!

Well, buldog, was it good for you too?

You using the same tanning booth as the Albino one? You do eat well.

Could have lived my whole life without seeing that photo. Welcome to the form. Now get to lifting.

I’m not going to post specifics about this week’s workouts. It’s a de-load week. I hate de-load weeks. I know they’re necessary, but it’s always an ego hit to walk into the gym and lift the pink dumb-bells. Insecure? ME?!?!?!? You betcha. Why else do you think I’m over-compensating with this RIDICULOUS bodybuilding lifestyle, when it would be much easier for me just to get fat, weak, and take up bourbon and television as hobbies?

Sigh. I’m such a tool.

Monday
military press - 3 x 10 x wimpy
side planks - 90s x 3
fat bar curls - pathetic x 5 x 5
Chins - BW x 3 x 5
shrugs - modest x 15 x 4

On another note… I’m doing an on-line challenge with two other friends of mine and I’d like to troll for advice. Whoever posts the most improved Wilks score on the 1RM for MP, deadlifts, bench, and squat and over 4 months gets bragging rights and their Wilks score in ounces of beer. We’re now five weeks out. I’ve done the best I could, so I’m feeling fine, except when we started I was coming off a diet. I’m now 10-15 lb heavier. Any thoughts on trying to cut weight by shedding water? What else do you guys think I should know about peaking?

Quite frankly, I need all the help I can get because one of the guys was a state hammer throwing champion in college.