The Grammar Nazi Thread

i’m afraid i’m not really suited to be a good contributor to this thread.
but i wanted to take this opportunity to apologize for the unconvenience caused by all the grammatical horrors i posted (and will probably post again).
Thank you for your continued patience.

[quote]kamui wrote:
but i wanted to take this opportunity to apologize for the unconvenience caused by all the grammatical horrors i posted (and will probably post again).

[/quote]

kamui, you have got to be the supreme post-modern satirist, right?

Did you, a Frenchman, really just “surrender” to a (Grammar) Nazi?

Jokes aside, you my friend, have NO need to apologize for anything.

Your command of the English language is, and I’m sorry I’m not joking, FAR better than a vast, vast number of native speakers. It is at them that this Nazi has his Browning drawn.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Sweet Revenge wrote:
this thread should obviously be in GettA Life[/quote]

Well, it appears that now we have a Category Nazi, here, as well.

The ignorance of accepted rules of style, lack of punctuation, poor spelling, and mistaken rendering of the forum name indicate clearly he is not one of us. [/quote]

Oh the capitalization!!! Oh the spelling!

[quote]kamui wrote:

[/quote]

You command of the language is FINE! Please don’t stop posting, I very much enjoy hearing what you have to say.

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
When “these ones” or “those ones” is uttered, my toes curl. The only scenario in which the word “one” may be pluralized is in reference to a group of ones, or rather 1s.
My grandfather was an editor for the Denver Post. I never spoke during holiday dinners. [/quote]

Hmmmm, weird. My toe curl when I cum…

One of my recent peeves is with people who [i]could care less[/i].

I could care less that you don’t want to pay more taxes! (just to bring it back to PWI-ville)

[quote]kamui wrote:

[/quote]

English is not your first language, and you’ve told us so. How could we hold grammatical errors against you?

[quote]Chushin wrote:
The recent and popular mis-use of the expression “beg the question” drives me nuts.[/quote]

But doesn’t this beg the question, what exactly is the misuse to which you refer?

:smiley:

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]kamui wrote:

[/quote]

kamui, you have got to be the supreme post-modern satirist, right?

Did you, a Frenchman, really just “surrender” to a (Grammar) Nazi?
[/quote]

Ha!

I owe you a beer back.[/quote]

Awesome! :slight_smile:

It was like finding a $100 bill on the ground. I’m picking it up and looking at it and going through a mini-denial stage saying, “No way this is for real, right?”

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]Ambugaton wrote:
When “these ones” or “those ones” is uttered, my toes curl. The only scenario in which the word “one” may be pluralized is in reference to a group of ones, or rather 1s.
My grandfather was an editor for the Denver Post. I never spoke during holiday dinners. [/quote]

Not only is it wrong, it’s redundant. Just say “these.”

For some reason this reminds me of one of the pet peeves of my 18th century British literature professor (yes, I had one, and he was a saint of a man who made an fun, engaging class out of the most lye-guzzlingly dull material you could ever imagine).

“A whole nother.”

Why go out of your way to add an extra letter to make something wrong? [/quote]

Thank you! The look of confusion I see when I tell people “nother” is not a word is priceless. They hadn’t even realized they were saying something incorrectly.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]Cortes wrote:

Awesome! :slight_smile:

It was like finding a $100 bill on the ground. I’m picking it up and looking at it and going through a mini-denial stage saying, “No way this is for real, right?”
[/quote]

You have a real talent for descriptive writing, my friend.[/quote]

Thank you, Chushin.

But honestly this is nothing. You should see mein Deutsch!

zing!

I use a sorta (there I go again) transliterated spoken English vernacular as typed communication all the time. Like the “word” “sorta” for instance. Or omitting the “g” at the end of a present tense verb for another instance. "sayin, comin, goin, etc. I kinda (and yet again) doubt it, but in case anybody cares, that is intentional.

I sometimes think I should be more of a stickler about this than I am, but unless the person cannot transmit a coherent point it doesn’t really bother me too much I guess that they have bad grammar. People with good grammar who, for instance, engage in anti American activities by attempting to portray Barack Obama as an actual president bother me a lot more. (there now this thread belongs in the PWI forum)

What definitely DOES git (oops) on my nerves is when somebody being alleged as a professional writer has bad spelling or grammar. That means either their a bonehead or their editor is. Neither of which should be acceptable among professional communicators.

[quote]Makavali wrote:
I don’t mind the occasional typo, but misuse of the following words:

Your
You’re
Weird (it’s not “wierd”, morons!)
Who’s
Whose
It’s
Its
Their
They’re
There
Lose
Loose

… is annoying. Especially when done consistently.

Also “txt” speak.

People who consistently fail at grammar or being semi-readable when posting (and of course working on the assumption English is their first language) infuriate me to no end.

I am disappointment in you’re grammer[/quote]

This should read “…fail at grammar or AT being semi-readable…”

Cortes, honestly. Are you trying to pad your post count? Of all the things wrong with this world you choose other ignorant people’s grammatical errors? Come on man, pick your battles! ; )

Edit - spelling error related to topic!