T Nation

The Golden Days of Hip Hop

Some of our readers might appreciate it. Even if you don’t listen to Hip Hop just check these out.

NWA
http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/video/detail.asp?ID=527

Gang Starr
http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/video/detail.asp?ID=537

Hip Hop had a golden age?

I got excited about that Gang Starr track, haven’t heard from him in forever.
I love N.W.A. but I can’t stand they’re videos, because they’re always actin’ like the hardest dudes out but none of them even had criminal records.
But I’m gonna add a little somethin’ somethin’ to this, a few years after all this butt golden age to me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMn2cCBwH18

And the smoothest rapper ever…maybe lol…

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
Hip Hop had a golden age?[/quote]

Yes, if you’re not retarded.

[quote]AssClown wrote:
I love N.W.A. but I can’t stand they’re videos, because they’re always actin’ like the hardest dudes out but none of them even had criminal records.
But I’m gonna add a little somethin’ somethin’ to this, a few years after all this butt golden age to me[/quote]

True, but Eazy-E use to be a big drug-dealer in their area.

:slight_smile:

[quote]Xylene wrote:
True, but Eazy-E use to be a big drug-dealer in their area.

:slight_smile:

[/quote]

Eazy-E was the greatest rapper that ever lived.

[quote]skaz05 wrote:

Eazy-E was the greatest rapper that ever lived. [/quote]

Meh.

I prefer the old school guys who predate ‘gangsta’ rap. I’ll take Kurtis Blow, Schooly D, Big Daddy Kane, or Kool Moe Dee over any of the ‘gansta rap’ era guys.

Thanks to the OP! Haven’t heard those tracks in ages. Great stuff.

Not to forget; http://youtube.com/watch?v=MS8UHOFk-KI

Legend!

[quote]Freaky Styley wrote:
texasguy1 wrote:
Hip Hop had a golden age?

Yes, if you’re not retarded.[/quote]

Well that makes rap a cultural delight for the ages then doesn’t it?

[quote]texasguy1 wrote:
Freaky Styley wrote:
texasguy1 wrote:
Hip Hop had a golden age?

Yes, if you’re not retarded.

Well that makes rap a cultural delight for the ages then doesn’t it?[/quote]

I was recently clued into the fact that there’s a difference between “rap” and hip-hop.

Rap is that mind-numbing shit you hear at the bars and clubs.

Hip-hop requires actual skill.

That’s how it was told to me, at least.

Hip hop culture* and yes I found it rather enjoyable especially from an entertainment view. I believe it was Oscar Wilde that said “Life imitates art more than art imitates life.” A lot of these artists inspired an entire generation. Growing up in the suburbs I could tell you that my white friends LOVED NWA, Public Enemy, Gang Starr, and the like simply because it went against the norms and forced them to look at a lifestyle not expressed everyday in media and their particular town. Plus the shit was chart topping. So yes a delight indeed.

But as far as big rappers go, I thought Pun had a smoother flow than BIG. Personal opinion.

I would go as far as saying that there was two golden ages of hip hop (86-92 and 94-98) just because I’m young and one I barely experienced but could see the obvious influence into the 90’s.

The “smoothest” rappper ever is easily Snoop Dogg.

The “smoothest” rapper ever was Slick Rick. The name says it all.

[quote]Boles wrote:
The “smoothest” rappper ever is easily Snoop Dogg.[/quote]

Little incentive to sway your opinion.

'88 http://youtube.com/watch?v=FGF7CqCPfr8

'91 http://youtube.com/watch?v=foyPGeNE720

'94 http://youtube.com/watch?v=PuiFuqA4fvI

'99 http://youtube.com/watch?v=tGoNfgXxD2g

Through four era’s.

[quote]Steve4192 wrote:
skaz05 wrote:

Eazy-E was the greatest rapper that ever lived.

Meh.

I prefer the old school guys who predate ‘gangsta’ rap. I’ll take Kurtis Blow, Schooly D, Big Daddy Kane, or Kool Moe Dee over any of the ‘gansta rap’ era guys. [/quote]

Agreed. In my opinion the golden age of hip-hop was back when it was party music. It was about having a good time, not slapping bitches or selling drugs. Of course, Slick Rick did warn us to treat her like a prostitute.

But my opinion aside, '92 - '93 was when rap/hip-hop took over the main stream and started making billions. Some of the first albums I ever bought were Black Sunday, The Chronic, and Enter the 36 Chambers. Unfortunately I bought everything on freaking cassette, now I’m digging through the used CD bins, trying to rebuild the collection.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
Boles wrote:
The “smoothest” rappper ever is easily Snoop Dogg.

Little incentive to sway your opinion.

'88 http://youtube.com/watch?v=FGF7CqCPfr8

'91 http://youtube.com/watch?v=foyPGeNE720

'94 http://youtube.com/watch?v=PuiFuqA4fvI

'99 http://youtube.com/watch?v=tGoNfgXxD2g

Through four era’s.[/quote]

I could you post 4 Slick Rick videos and not one of them be “Children’s Story”?

As a sidenote, I have to say I disagree with your definition of an “era.” You have a span of 11 years covering 4 eras? I don’t see it.

[quote]Boles wrote:
The “smoothest” rappper ever is easily Snoop Dogg.[/quote]

I think Snoop was just more straight up slow than “Smooth.” Most of Snoops beats are slow to begin with, I don’t think he could’ve flowed “smooth” over that track like Biggie did. I like Snoop though, but he didn’t have the same feel as Biggie to me.

[quote]Xylene wrote:
AssClown wrote:
I love N.W.A. but I can’t stand they’re videos, because they’re always actin’ like the hardest dudes out but none of them even had criminal records.

But I’m gonna add a little somethin’ somethin’ to this, a few years after all this butt golden age to me

True, but Eazy-E use to be a big drug-dealer in their area.

:slight_smile:

[/quote]
Shit everybody slings crack in that area. I could take you into my neighborhood and show you three houses on the same block you could score rock from. It’s not even really that big of a deal, seeing as how it’s not at all uncommon to make money that way, when compared to the shit they were talkin’ about, murder and everything.

[quote]AssClown wrote:
Xylene wrote:
AssClown wrote:
I love N.W.A. but I can’t stand they’re videos, because they’re always actin’ like the hardest dudes out but none of them even had criminal records.

But I’m gonna add a little somethin’ somethin’ to this, a few years after all this butt golden age to me

True, but Eazy-E use to be a big drug-dealer in their area.

:slight_smile:

Shit everybody slings crack in that area. I could take you into my neighborhood and show you three houses on the same block you could score rock from. It’s not even really that big of a deal, seeing as how it’s not at all uncommon to make money that way, when compared to the shit they were talkin’ about, murder and everything.

[/quote]

True, but no one threw it in America’s face like NWA.

You can blame Master P for leading to the garbage called “Crunk” and bringing down Hip-Hop. Gangsta rap is underrated, actually, golden age stuff is good, but after 97 or so, the whole thing went bad.

Interestingly, rap’s history is very similar to black metal’s. They both had good stuff in the 80’s, controversial good stuff in the early 90’s, and both died in the mid 90’s or so.