The GOAT Retires

pics won’t load

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
Just look at JDS his lack of size gives him a huge advantage in stamina and speed.[/quote]

Yeah right, if Junior could only be smaller, he’d be sooo much faster with a bigger gas tank.
And those shitty long arms, if only they could be shorter with less muscle…

Has he heard of those PEDs, they can make you smaller -but I guess such potent drugs are illegal!

gtfo of this thread, stupid[/quote]

Shut up, you’ve gone the way of childish insults because you know I’m right.

I think Fedor was easily the greatest HW of all time.

Granted MMA is still young.

If GOAT implies all weight classes Anderson Silva is certainly on track to get contention/the title.

However Fedor was the best in the world, for a very long time. He also carried himself with class and a reserve that I very much appreciate.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:
I think Fedor was easily the greatest HW of all time.

Granted MMA is still young.

If GOAT implies all weight classes Anderson Silva is certainly on track to get contention/the title.

However Fedor was the best in the world, for a very long time. He also carried himself with class and a reserve that I very much appreciate.

Regards,

Robert A[/quote]
This is reasonable, I do think Fedor is the best HW we’ve ever seen, but I think overall Anderson has proven more, especially if he finished Sonnen.

The title of this thread confuses me… Sugar Ray Robinson left the game decades ago…

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
The title of this thread confuses me… Sugar Ray Robinson left the game decades ago…[/quote]

Rocky Marciano was better. Just saying if your gonna say the best boxer left awhile ago get the right one.

Kinda sucks, he retires now when he was just starting to expand his game.

[quote]punchedbear wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
The title of this thread confuses me… Sugar Ray Robinson left the game decades ago…[/quote]

Rocky Marciano was better. Just saying if your gonna say the best boxer left awhile ago get the right one.[/quote]
Lol

Fedor 2.0 made me smile with those kicks and that kind of speed that i haven’t seen since 2006

[quote]kaisermetal wrote:
Fedor 2.0 made me smile with those kicks and that kind of speed that i haven’t seen since 2006[/quote]
I mean he was fighting Rizzo so…meh. At least he went out on a w.

Jesus, can’t we have a tribute thread about Fedor without some dude chiming in about how he’s not the GOAT?

Who gives a fuck, he had a pretty sick career. And by pretty sick I mean the kind of career two, maybe three fighters out there can even think about matching.

Here’s a neat video showing his standup grappling tricks:

[quote]rundymc wrote:
Jesus, can’t we have a tribute thread about Fedor without some dude chiming in about how he’s not the GOAT?[/quote]
I apologize I was just being a wise ass.

I understand he was a great fighter and some of his fights where amazing. the one where Randelman suplexed him on his head and he got right up was pretty cool. I thought he just died and he just got right up.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
Jesus, can’t we have a tribute thread about Fedor without some dude chiming in about how he’s not the GOAT?[/quote]

I understand he was a great fighter and some of his fights where amazing. the one where Randelman suplexed him on his head and he got right up was pretty cool. I thought he just died and he just got right up.[/quote]

I think he was easily talking about sardines, not you. A little boxing joke is cool.

That was easily one of my favorite moments in MMA of all time. I thought I’d just seen somebody get their neck broken, and then he flips that sub.

in his pride days he was scary but as the sport evolved the bigger guys went past him. One of the first true superstars of MMA that just unfortunately like all great athletes got old. I am glad he is walking away instead of seeing him get his face busted in again and again.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]rundymc wrote:

I understand he was a great fighter and some of his fights where amazing. the one where Randelman suplexed him on his head and he got right up was pretty cool. I thought he just died and he just got right up.[/quote]

I think he was easily talking about sardines, not you. A little boxing joke is cool.
[/quote]

That was my impression as well.

I didn’t even mind Irish’s joke. Especially since he used Ray Robinson, the actual GOAT, instead of Ali, who’s family/company actually owns the abbreviation G.O.A.T…

Regards,

Robert A

in his pride days he was scary but as the sport evolved the bigger guys went past him.[/quote]
I know this is a popular line of thought/discussion and Joe Rogan/UFC loves to push it but I really don’t think it was the sport evolving or even size that did him in.

Fedor in his prime had incredible attributes, decent technical ability(even if his boxing made purists wince and his grappling seemed to have some wholes in it), and a style that used his attributes and skills to the utmost.

He used his transitions and good game plans to find and exploit ways to win, even inside of his opponent’s A game.

I think it was more or less simply wear and tear that did him in. I don’t see a “new” breed of fighter that would have rolled over him in his prime.

[quote]
One of the first true superstars of MMA that just unfortunately like all great athletes got old. I am glad he is walking away instead of seeing him get his face busted in again and again.[/quote]
With this I agree totally.

Regards,

Robert A

[quote]Robert A wrote:

in his pride days he was scary but as the sport evolved the bigger guys went past him.[/quote]
I know this is a popular line of thought/discussion and Joe Rogan/UFC loves to push it but I really don’t think it was the sport evolving or even size that did him in.

Fedor in his prime had incredible attributes, decent technical ability(even if his boxing made purists wince and his grappling seemed to have some wholes in it), and a style that used his attributes and skills to the utmost.

He used his transitions and good game plans to find and exploit ways to win, even inside of his opponent’s A game.

Robert A[/quote]

I would love to see him in his prime take on the big guys the ufc has now. Thats never gonna happen but i do feel that the heavyweights got more athletic and less fat guys who are big and more athletes that can move. Its tough to say because we never saw him in there with one of the younger guys.

The Henderson fight you could tell he wasnt in it anymore. The first Rogers fight I thought he showed signs of not good stuff when he almost got pounded out there and squeaked a sub out. It just felt like this isnt the same scary guy.

Like alot of things once someone saw him get hurt and in trouble it kinda took that fear away. after the Werdum submission it was completely gone. In pride you wanted no part of him after the Werdum fight it seemed like everyone wanted him on their record.

Dear Sardines12:

http://fightsportasia.com/2012/05/17/the-end-of-the-greatest-it-is-gods-will/

End qoute ;D

Also, I realise the person writing this often writes “American idiots”. This could make a large portion of the forum think I, myself, agree with this term. This however is not correct. There are enough European idiots who also believe this, sadly enough :wink:

This writer even gives props to good old Sugar Ray Robinson, so I think even FightingIrish might enjoy this article! :wink:

That article was well not to good. It was a bunch of whining about internet boards and Dana White. Fedor didnt duck the UFC as much as his managment asked for way to much. The UFC just doesnt copromote after the way Pride treated them when they tried to years back. Also they didnt need Fedor they would survive without him.

The article is a little dated as well as they have Overeem as a Strikeforce fighter which is no longer the case. They also say JDS striking is much worse than CroCrop and I just cant agree to that. Its different in that he likes to box alot more but less I cant agree to that.

That article was well not to good. It was a bunch of whining about internet boards and Dana White. Fedor didnt duck the UFC as much as his managment asked for way to much. The UFC just doesnt copromote after the way Pride treated them when they tried to years back. Also they didnt need Fedor they would survive without him.

The article is a little dated as well as they have Overeem as a Strikeforce fighter which is no longer the case. They also say JDS striking is much worse than CroCrop and I just cant agree to that. Its different in that he likes to box alot more but less I cant agree to that.[/quote]

It was almost as if sardines12 wrote it…lol.