T Nation

The GOAT Retires

Fedor Emelianenko has had his last bout.

After a short laudatio from his country’s dictator, the greatest MMA fighter is now officially retired and will “spend more time with his family”.

The russian heavyweight fought undefeated for ten years - not counting a loss during a tourney when an illegal strike caused a heavy cut.
During that reign, he was feared both as an aggressive puncher with masterful use of range as well as a world class Sambo player, showcasing throws, reversals and submissions that remain memorable to this day.

Fedor was a maverick in a division full of chiseled goliaths.

Only 6 foot tall, with a fair amount of fat, the laconic destroyer seemed at a perpetual physical disadvantage.
An old fighter’s saying describes his fights best - “the shorter fighter has to press the fight”.

90% of the time, that’s exactly what we saw.

Emelianenko, chasing his opponent with wild hooks through the ring.
Emelianenko, exploding into a throw from the clinch, seemlessly switching to almost to wicked-to-be-allowed ground and pound.

And Emelianenko, raising one fist calmly, no screaming, no cage climbing.

In 2010, MMA fans saw him taste defeat for the first time, and twice more after that.

“Is he done?”- was a regular headline in forae and articles.

The devout orthodox christian made some vague remarks but eventually stepped three more times into the ring, albeit versus non-top 10 opponents, much to the chagrin of both supporters and net-trolls.

On summer solstice 2012, Fedor defeated Pedro Rizzo in under 90 seconds.

The heavyweight throne remains empty, with no heir apparent.

Anderson Silva is the GOAT Fedor is the baby GOAT that is all

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
Anderson Silva is the GOAT Fedor is the baby GOAT that is all[/quote]

Blasphemy!

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

AS is in the top five of all time for sure.
But #1?
No.

Guys like Fedor or Saku were competing at a huge physical disadvantage.
Silva has a great chin, wingspan and body composition.

For the same reason I’m on the fence with Jon Jones.
Machida looked like from another weight class next to him.
Jones is a prodigy, but his wins aren’t as spectacular because of his grotesque physicality.

In ther words:
Fedor could’ve fought Silva if some things would’ve played out differently. And I’m damn sure where I would’ve put my money.

There are other reasons as well, eg Fedor’s fearlessness; the russian would’ve pulverized opponents standing or the ground - it didn’t matter to him.
Nog was THE BJJ heavyweight ace back then, a smart gameplan would’ve avoided his guard altogether - Fedor gnped anyway.
Crocop was in his prime and juiced to the gills. A sniper with his left, deadly with his kicks- Fedor charged without hesitation, even going so far as to incorporate kicking instead of playing it safe with Sambo techniques.

On the other hand, Silva often played his cards very cautiously and strategically.
Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it’s not very goatish.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

AS is in the top five of all time for sure.
But #1?
No.

Guys like Fedor or Saku were competing at a huge physical disadvantage.
Silva has a great chin, wingspan and body composition.

For the same reason I’m on the fence with Jon Jones.
Machida looked like from another weight class next to him.
Jones is a prodigy, but his wins aren’t as spectacular because of his grotesque physicality.

In ther words:
Fedor could’ve fought Silva if some things would’ve played out differently. And I’m damn sure where I would’ve put my money.

There are other reasons as well, eg Fedor’s fearlessness; the russian would’ve pulverized opponents standing or the ground - it didn’t matter to him.
Nog was THE BJJ heavyweight ace back then, a smart gameplan would’ve avoided his guard altogether - Fedor gnped anyway.
Crocop was in his prime and juiced to the gills. A sniper with his left, deadly with his kicks- Fedor charged without hesitation, even going so far as to incorporate kicking instead of playing it safe with Sambo techniques.

On the other hand, Silva often played his cards very cautiously and strategically.
Not that there is anything wrong with that, but it’s not very goatish.
[/quote]
Fedor did not compete in the UFC
He had way too many tune up fights
In his biggest tests he never stopped his opponents (Cro Cop, Nog)
Size is irrelevant when it was advantageous for Fedor
He also never fought a dominant hw wrestler, and not Randleman and Coleman do not count

Anderson has the most title defenses
Finishes most of his fights and finished the fighters that were the biggest threats to him
Has beaten a wider range of fighters, including elite wrestlers, well rounded fighters, bjj masters and strikers
For me it’s got to be Anderson, the winning stream Fedor holds means nothing when he’s fighting Hong Man Choi and Wagner Martins. I mean honestly lets look at his record; Ryushi Yanagisawa, Yuji Nagata, and other anonymous japanese scrubs???

LMfao sardines

“too many tune up fights”

Does Silva’s nuts take up so much of your vision that you cannot see more than half of Silva’s fights in the UFC have been tailor made in his favor?

He’s a great fighter, but come the fuck on. The UFC is not the be all end all of competition in MMA, to be perfectly honest, the way its set up has a bunch of very mediocre and inexperienced guys being fed to the elite level wolves within just a few fights.

P.S why are fedor’s opponents “anonymous scrubs” but Anderson’s aren’t? Are you kidding? The only reason you even know about half of Silva’s opponents is because the UFC has hit major publicity in western countries. They sure as fuck weren’t renowned for their skills.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:
LMfao sardines

“too many tune up fights”

Does Silva’s nuts take up so much of your vision that you cannot see more than half of Silva’s fights in the UFC have been tailor made in his favor?

He’s a great fighter, but come the fuck on. The UFC is not the be all end all of competition in MMA, to be perfectly honest, the way its set up has a bunch of very mediocre and inexperienced guys being fed to the elite level wolves within just a few fights.

P.S why are fedor’s opponents “anonymous scrubs” but Anderson’s aren’t? Are you kidding? The only reason you even know about half of Silva’s opponents is because the UFC has hit major publicity in western countries. They sure as fuck weren’t renowned for their skills.[/quote]

Gosh you’re so right, it’s amazing how Fedor’s top wins are dominating the UFC, oh shit that’s right they aren’t!!!

Don’t let a stinky fish detract away from showing your respect for one the best ever. GOAT or not…is subjective anyways…weightclasses cough

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
He also never fought a dominant hw wrestler, and not Randleman and Coleman do not count
[/quote]
Heavies were the weakest division until a few weeks back.
The Strikeforce roster alone was as good as UFC’s.

Fedor has had some cool tune up fights, but so what?
At least he competed frequently and they were often bizarrly intriguing (eg Hong man Choi; this giant man could have easily been a top ten guy if he wanted to).

Cro Cop and Nog were in their prime. It doesn’t take away anything from them, it actually makes a point how tough they were since it is obvious how massive a punishment Fedor could dish out.

Coleman and Randleman were the SCARIEST wrestlers of their era and in Japan they juiced their brains out with impunity.

This deserves its own paragraph since it is a pretty bold statement.
Since when is being smaller an advantage?
One can debate how good heavyweights are, pound-for-pound-wise, and BigBoss has a legitimate point.
However, in martial arts it is usually the most prestigous division.
From a marketing point of view, it would be idiotic to compete at a smaller division if heavyweight would be easier.

So, how come only Fedor discovered that?
Why does Jon Jones -who’s got far more lean muscle btw- not move up if its easier?
Why doesn’t Anderson Silva, who’s comparable in body composition to Fedor, move up?
Isn’t he your goat?

These are rethorical questions, I don’t want to debate this nonsense in this thread.
Instead, I’m gonna post some more Fedor pics later on.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
[/quote]
Heavies were the weakest division until a few weeks back.
The Strikeforce roster alone was as good as UFC’s.

Fedor has had some cool tune up fights, but so what?
At least he competed frequently and they were often bizarrly intriguing (eg Hong man Choi; this giant man could have easily been a top ten guy if he wanted to).

Cro Cop and Nog were in their prime. It doesn’t take away anything from them, it actually makes a point how tough they were since it is obvious how massive a punishment Fedor could dish out.

Coleman and Randleman were the SCARIEST wrestlers of their era and in Japan they juiced their brains out with impunity.

This deserves its own paragraph since it is a pretty bold statement.
Since when is being smaller an advantage?
One can debate how good heavyweights are, pound-for-pound-wise, and BigBoss has a legitimate point.
However, in martial arts it is usually the most prestigous division.
From a marketing point of view, it would be idiotic to compete at a smaller division if heavyweight would be easier.

So, how come only Fedor discovered that?
Why does Jon Jones -who’s got far more lean muscle btw- not move up if its easier?
Why doesn’t Anderson Silva, who’s comparable in body composition to Fedor, move up?
Isn’t he your goat?

These are rethorical questions, I don’t want to debate this nonsense in this thread.
Instead, I’m gonna post some more Fedor pics later on.[/quote]

Just look at JDS his lack of size gives him a huge advantage in stamina and speed. Fedor is not the GOAT, he’s top 3 for sure, but if we’re using your shitty size argument then Hendo is the GOAT not Fedor. Henderson beat Nog, Fedor, Shogun, prime Wanderlei. He’s a MW for God’s sake. I personally don’t think Hendo is top 5, but with your logic he should be the GOAT not Fedor.

I was happy to see Fedor fight and i will definitely tell my sons about it.

As the same way as my father saw Pele playing soccer, i can say i SAW FEDOR HOLY FUCKIN EMELIANENKO FIGHT!!!

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING THE LAST EMPEROR.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
Just look at JDS his lack of size gives him a huge advantage in stamina and speed.[/quote]

Yeah right, if Junior could only be smaller, he’d be sooo much faster with a bigger gas tank.
And those shitty long arms, if only they could be shorter with less muscle…

Has he heard of those PEDs, they can make you smaller -but I guess such potent drugs are illegal!

gtfo of this thread, stupid

[quote]sardines12 wrote:
Just look at JDS his lack of size gives him a huge advantage in stamina and speed.[/quote]

Yeah right, if Junior could only be smaller, he’d be sooo much faster with a bigger gas tank.
And those shitty long arms, if only they could be shorter with less muscle…

Has he heard of those PEDs, they can make you smaller -but I guess such potent drugs are illegal!

gtfo of this thread, stupid[/quote]

HA!

legendary gnp