T Nation

The Girl Who Silenced the World

http://outriggercanoe.ning.com:80/video/video/show?id=2032409:Video:25674

Wow, pretty powerful. Wonder what animal-killin hippie group put her up there though?

Sorry, couldn’t get past the first 60 seconds.

If she is literally afraid to go out in the sun and breathe the air she has been watching too much news media.

[quote]Thomas Gabriel wrote:
Sorry, couldn’t get past the first 60 seconds.[/quote]

I had the same problem. Too preachy, too self-congratulatory.

I’m so sick of those UN bullshit pretending to be some kind of opened and democratic organization because they let some brainwashed kids make a speech…What a fucking farce!

I love the environment. She has a point…but the video feels stilted.

Couldn’t get past the first minute… to smug, to self-righteous, to manipulative.

[quote]Berserkergang wrote:
I’m so sick of those UN bullshit pretending to be some kind of opened and democratic organization because they let some brainwashed kids make a speech…What a fucking farce! [/quote]

The UN a democratic organization? Good one!

Come on everyone. We all know that 13 year old girls are environmental experts, and they regularly speak at the UN.

You act like this was nothing but a publicity stunt. As if she didn’t actually write that speech.

Hey, lets put her in charge of the UN.

[quote]The Mage wrote:
Come on everyone. We all know that 13 year old girls are environmental experts, and they regularly speak at the UN.

You act like this was nothing but a publicity stunt. As if she didn’t actually write that speech.

Hey, lets put her in charge of the UN.[/quote]

Hey now, no corrupting the young!

Does anyone miss the good ol’ days when children were to be “seen and not heard?”

She’s got nothing on this young gal…

While that speech is nothing but an emotional appeal I don’t see that anybody can really argue with the underlying message - we should stop shitting all over the environment. And while it’s a little more complicated than “stop breaking it (the environment)” considering that video is 16 years old it is a little disappointing how little progress has been made.

[quote]The Mage wrote:
Come on everyone. We all know that 13 year old girls are environmental experts, and they regularly speak at the UN.

You act like this was nothing but a publicity stunt. As if she didn’t actually write that speech.

Hey, lets put her in charge of the UN.[/quote]

She couldn’t do worse.

How gay…
Give me a big block.
Give me leaded gas.
Put your self-righteous lips on my pearly white ass.

[quote]Wimpy wrote:
While that speech is nothing but an emotional appeal I don’t see that anybody can really argue with the underlying message - we should stop shitting all over the environment. And while it’s a little more complicated than “stop breaking it (the environment)” considering that video is 16 years old it is a little disappointing how little progress has been made. [/quote]

Exactly how much progress has been made?

Actually the environment is cleaner then it was. In fact it has become so clean that scientists have noticed that it is brighter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4520831.stm

Sure more can be done, but the biggest problem now is actually the environmentalists. They act like they are helping the environment, yet their actions have slowed down environmental advances, such as newer cleaner refineries, and new-q-ler power.

[quote]The Mage wrote:
Wimpy wrote:
While that speech is nothing but an emotional appeal I don’t see that anybody can really argue with the underlying message - we should stop shitting all over the environment. And while it’s a little more complicated than “stop breaking it (the environment)” considering that video is 16 years old it is a little disappointing how little progress has been made.

Exactly how much progress has been made?

Actually the environment is cleaner then it was. In fact it has become so clean that scientists have noticed that it is brighter.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/4520831.stm [/quote]

That’s interesting but if anything it only highlights my primary fear. I suppose that about two billion people in India and China are going to attempt to industrialize and “modernize” in the next fifty years or so. That’s not including the nearly 1 billion inhabitants of Africa that may want to follow. That could take an awful toll on the Earth.

It’s good that air has been clearing locally but even that article you linked admitted that the “brightening” has not occurred over India or China neither of which have likely hit their maximum level of pollution. There are also other issues to consider. For instance, the last I’ve heard, based on examination of large heterotrophs (primarily large whales) marine pollution is continuing to worsen (feel free to correct me on this, I was unable to find much data on it) thanks largely to waste water and other runoff contamination coming from Asia.

Then of course there is ozone depletion, an ongoing loss of global forest acreage, the loss of tundra to encroaching taiga, and that this might be the first summer in recorded history where the arctic ice (North Pole) will completely melt. What does all of that (and more) mean? Maybe we’re heading towards catastrophe. Maybe nothing. We don’t know for sure at the moment and that’s part of the problem.

I don’t think, however, that this is an issue we can take too seriously or be too careful about. It’s not like we’re going anywhere for a while. It would take 75,000 years to travel to the closest star using the fastest spacecraft we have available. We’re going to be stuck on this rock for a long time, possibly forever so the quicker we’re able to adopt sustainable lifestyles the better off we’ll be. Yes, there are positive things happening but I don’t think this is an area we have worry about getting it done too fast.

That’s David Suzuki’s kid.

If you’re Canadian you’ll know who he is.

[quote]Wimpy wrote:
While that speech is nothing but an emotional appeal I don’t see that anybody can really argue with the underlying message - we should stop shitting all over the environment. And while it’s a little more complicated than “stop breaking it (the environment)” considering that video is 16 years old it is a little disappointing how little progress has been made. [/quote]

I applaud you; you are the first one that acted as though we have some responsibility