The Getting Lean Thread

I dropped 20lb while gaining nearly 40lb on my deadlift over the past few months. Bench on the other hand, I lost 5lb…which isn’t much considering I don’t train my bench directly often.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
I got tired of training to prepare for life like life was something in the future.[/quote]

Awesome quote. This applies to so many things in life.

What about IF for fat loss? Obviously it works but, is there any more info on the whole elevated morning cortisol, blood sugar levels, looking flat or stringy/wiry? There was a thread a while back but, many of the posts made by certain people disappeared.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
What about IF for fat loss? Obviously it works but, is there any more info on the whole elevated morning cortisol, blood sugar levels, looking flat or stringy/wiry? There was a thread a while back but, many of the posts made by certain people disappeared.[/quote]

some people love it, others hate it. It’s really just something you have to try for yourself.

There’s a rebuttal to the cortisol argument on leangains.com I think. I know that I personally don’t seem to lose any muscle or look flat. I don’t think it’s too much of an issue providing you carb up properly once in a while.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
What about IF for fat loss? Obviously it works but, is there any more info on the whole elevated morning cortisol, blood sugar levels, looking flat or stringy/wiry? There was a thread a while back but, many of the posts made by certain people disappeared.[/quote]

some people love it, others hate it. It’s really just something you have to try for yourself.

There’s a rebuttal to the cortisol argument on leangains.com I think. I know that I personally don’t seem to lose any muscle or look flat. I don’t think it’s too much of an issue providing you carb up properly once in a while.[/quote]

Completely agree with you

I’m suprised so many people skip breakfast, interesting. I hate breakfast so maybe I’ll give it a try or maybe just drink a protein shake or something small.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I’m suprised so many people skip breakfast, interesting. I hate breakfast so maybe I’ll give it a try or maybe just drink a protein shake or something small.

[/quote]

There is a good article by that Keifer guy about skipping breakfast.

Google ‘Why breakfast is nothing but a scam’…interesting read.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

Google ‘Why breakfast is nothing but a scam’…interesting read. [/quote]

He doesn’t specifically say don’t eat anything, just don’t have carbs. So could I assume that my usual over-easy eggs cooked in coconut oil wouldn’t have ill effects as it relates to the cortisol/insulin functions he talks about?

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

He doesn’t specifically say don’t eat anything, just don’t have carbs. So could I assume that my usual over-easy eggs cooked in coconut oil wouldn’t have ill effects as it relates to the cortisol/insulin functions he talks about?

[/quote]

In the article I read on schwarzenegger.com he said he would prefer people had nothing but if they had to have something it would be a protein based breakfast.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

That is interesting. I think I’ll give it a try.

Dan John’s been preaching the benefits of a carbless breakfast for years too

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

The coconut oil should slow down the insulin response:

[i]Q: Another one of your recommendations that surprised me was with regard to eggs. I’ll read this section from page 70. “Eggs contain primarily fat and protein and at most one gram of carbohydrate. Despite the overwhelming predominance of those two non insulin-stimulating macronutrients, eggs can spike insulin levels. Don’t, therefore, eat eggs in great abundance during the low-carb portion of the day. One egg, not a problem. Six or more all at once, problem.”

For a lot of breakfast-eaters out there, even those who postpone it like you say to, that’s going to come as a blow. I assume there’s a way to slow down the insulin response.

Kiefer: That is correct. I should have been more clear in this section. That was for people who like to rely solely on eggs. They get up and eat six eggs with nothing else. But if you have some bacon or sausage as well, you’re getting enough fat with it that you’re going to slow down that insulin response.[/i]

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

That is interesting. I think I’ll give it a try. [/quote]

I’ve read some work by Kiefer and he recommends (to fight off hunger in the morning and keep the fast going) coffee w/ coconut oil. Should ease the transition.

[quote]RATTLEHEAD wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

In the article I read on schwarzenegger.com he said he would prefer people had nothing but if they had to have something it would be a protein based breakfast.
[/quote]

Then I guess it’s OK to assume any spike in insulin won’t be enough to counter the beneficial aspects of elevated cortisol.

One thing in that article I was skeptical about was this:

" This early-morning release of insulin vastly reduces fat burning for the remainder of the day[55], which is big problem because your morning cortisol levels remain high. As a result, this insulin release causes new empty fat cells to be created [56-64]"

I was under the assumption our body didn’t make new fat cells until the ones you have are full. Is this not true, or just too simple a way to look at it?

Seems odd that it would just “make new empty cells” due to an early-morning insulin spike. I could see fat storage in general increase, but new empty cells just because?

[quote]setto222 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve read some work by Kiefer and he recommends (to fight off hunger in the morning and keep the fast going) coffee w/ coconut oil. Should ease the transition. [/quote]

I might try that. I do like my coffee! I’m not usually hungry in the morning though. I just eat cause it’s, “what your supposed to do.”

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

The coconut oil should slow down the insulin response:

[i]Q: Another one of your recommendations that surprised me was with regard to eggs. I’ll read this section from page 70. “Eggs contain primarily fat and protein and at most one gram of carbohydrate. Despite the overwhelming predominance of those two non insulin-stimulating macronutrients, eggs can spike insulin levels. Don’t, therefore, eat eggs in great abundance during the low-carb portion of the day. One egg, not a problem. Six or more all at once, problem.”

For a lot of breakfast-eaters out there, even those who postpone it like you say to, that’s going to come as a blow. I assume there’s a way to slow down the insulin response.

Kiefer: That is correct. I should have been more clear in this section. That was for people who like to rely solely on eggs. They get up and eat six eggs with nothing else. But if you have some bacon or sausage as well, you’re getting enough fat with it that you’re going to slow down that insulin response.[/i][/quote]

Nice. Thanks!

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]setto222 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve read some work by Kiefer and he recommends (to fight off hunger in the morning and keep the fast going) coffee w/ coconut oil. Should ease the transition. [/quote]

I might try that. I do like my coffee! I’m not usually hungry in the morning though. I just eat cause it’s, “what your supposed to do.”[/quote]

I don’t know how you guys don’t feel hungry in the morning. If I don’t eat, by 9am my belly is really pissed off.

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]setto222 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

I might try that. I do like my coffee! I’m not usually hungry in the morning though. I just eat cause it’s, “what your supposed to do.”[/quote]

I don’t know how you guys don’t feel hungry in the morning. If I don’t eat, by 9am my belly is really pissed off.[/quote]

You really program your body to your eating schedule. If its’ used to eating and/or carbs in the morning, it’s going to crave that.

It takes a while to get used to not eating breakfast. Initially you will get hunger pangs but after a while it will go away.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]cueball wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]setto222 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

I don’t know how you guys don’t feel hungry in the morning. If I don’t eat, by 9am my belly is really pissed off.[/quote]

You really program your body to your eating schedule. If its’ used to eating and/or carbs in the morning, it’s going to crave that.[/quote]

Yeah, I would imagine so. Anybody skipping breakfast and doing your lifting before your first solid meal? I lift around 11am then eat lunch after. Haven’t even considered trying to do that without having a morning meal.