"The Game Changers" Plant-Based Nutrition Movie. Thoughts?

My average is probably four meals and a snack. I’ve recently tried to cut that down to three.

And I’ve always been a bottomless pit. If I really go to town and have a big meal then it’ll be around four hours before I’m hungry again.

People can nitpick this but it’s true on the whole. The body will figure out ways to do what you’re making your body do in the conditions you describe. I’m not saying the vegans results would be the same or better than the meat eater but it’s not like they won’t be strong as fuck all other things being equal.

I’m always going to eat massive quantities of meat but certainly I could be lean and strong as a vegan if I wanted to be even if we can debate the difference between vegan me and carnivore me.

1 Like

Cholesterol above 150 is nowhere to be seen in non westernized tribes and they don’t have hormonal issues at all. LDL above 120ish is definitely a sign of overeating / hypothyroidism / metabolic issues.

The way vegans get Ldl down is akin to Statins and isn’t healthy. I’d much rather move more for a start, eat my fats, jack up nutrients like selenium and B vitamins and reduce calories according to what my bloodwork is telling me. Chris masterjohn has written a couple of articles on how doctors had basically solved heart disease post WW2 by using t3 medications. That was pre statins obviously.

I have a very good friend on trt and a hardcore vegan. He supplements every single shit inorganic mineral under the sun, b12, algae for omega 3s, he now has immunity issues weirdly piling on like beard loss, lymph nodes etc.

Clearly I am not fond of eating a ton of meat and fish and thinking protein is overrated in the presence of large amounts of sugars. But give me a break, we need organic nutrients, not shit pills. Tonight is 7oz of steak with bits of liver. Tomorrow night is 9oz of trout. Everything else is plants. It works well and requires zero supplements. Should we make a movie about it?

1 Like

We’ll call it “Eating Nature”.

It’ll be this wild concept of only eating things produced by the earth. Wild game, fruits, and veggies. Oh, the horror!

2 Likes

Add water use and global sustainability and we’ll have a hard time making the argument that I’d be a sustainable diet for all. At least not without acknowledging multivariate causality and making an argument for changing a lot of other behaviour humans engage in to cut down on our environmental impact.

I was told, so it might not be true, but that water use in Sydney got cut by 50%, not as an affect of policy changes but as a result from the media coverage about them soon running out of water.

We talk a lot about the potential adverse effects of a plant diet, but why do we always talk in absolutes? Would we set ourselves back so greatly if we did it just once a week? Twice? And, among our ranks we have @kleinhound whose physique and performance while on a vegetarian diet puts my own to shame.

Note: I’m trying to discuss, not debate. I eat a lot of meat myself, and am considering running BtM next year.

Why? Because it’s inconvenient to eat all the time? To me, feeling hunger every 2-3 hours would be nice. It usually takes 90 minutes after a full meal to become hungry again. I try and ignore it, if it subsides I don’t eat, if it doesn’t, I eat. Not super convenient but I am fortunate enough to be able to stash stuff at the office.

I enjoy eating bigger meals. It opens up my options when I don’t have to stay under 600 calories. I’m also hopeful that the bigger meal will stay with me longer and I won’t be hungry all day.

1 Like

Are your meals balanced or P+F/P+C?

I’ve never stressed about that much. They’re usually close to 50g P, 60-70g C, and F is whatever is left.

I’m not tracking this week so there’s no telling how my meals will break down. I make sure to get some protein and I enjoy carbs so they’re definitely included in the meal.

Can I ask please how do you get your fats in when you are eating that “clean”. I´m asking because I alsways struggle to get my fats in.
Thanks

I don’t really worry about fat. I get plenty from the usual stuff I eat. I eat eggs and red meat regularly and that usually takes care of it. I also like peanut butter.

If you feel like you’re struggling to get enough fat then try nuts like raw almonds. Put them in your car and eat a handful on your way to and from work/school.

If you are asking about vegan fat sources then: avocado (oil), olives (oil), coconut (oil, flakes, flour, milk), chai seeds, nuts, nut butters, nut flours (almond meal is great for baking), flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, linseed, cacao…

Add in dairy: cheese, cream, cottage cheese, yoghurt, kefir, butter, ghee,…

Add in meat: fatty cuts or sources (whole chicken instead of breast), fatty cuts of pork, red meats, salmon, other fatty fish, sausages, bacon,…

Has anyone managed to see the film yet ?

just read through this thread.

From what I read, it looks like this is about ‘plant-based dieting’ rather than veganism. However, most of the comments here seem to be about veganism specifically.

Plant-based dieting, as I understand it, just means that, essentially, you’re getting most of your calories from plants. It also allows for meat/eggs/dairy, just ‘minimally’. But it doesn’t seem to have a formal definition out there of how much is allowed. I’m certainly interested in seeing this movie (is it, or will it be, on netflix or amazon?), but I don’t really think that there is anything ground breaking in saying that a diet that involves a lot of plants and not a lot of meat can work for high level athletes. Am I missing something?

I understood it to be vegan. The strongman competitor in the trailer is vegan (Patrik Baboumian) and has been for over a decade.

I’m supportive of eating more plants but I felt like the trailer is spinning things a bit.

I’ve played with the idea of joining my wife on the vegan train but I’m not sure if trading meat for vegan protein powder is a beneficial move. It’s giving up something found in nature and replacing it by something made by man…

2 Likes

Oxen live on grass, ergo, Oxen are plant based, right?

2 Likes

I’ve never met a vegan that was NOT either

1. chubby or bloated
  2. super weak, and fragile looking

It’s either or. Rarely do I see a guy in great shape that is a vegan. Usually, the ones that proclaim it, in my experience, have only been vegan for a short time and usually inject.

I tried being a pescatarian once for a few years, like 3 years, boy did that not work out. You end up consuming an incredible amount of carbs, and when you eat out options are so limiting that you end up eating either salads or more carbs.

You never feel ‘satisfied’ and I swore I think I started to become anemic or something.

1 Like

Definitely possible, that’s one of the most common things with pescatarian diets. You have to eat a fuckload of greens, or supplement with iron. I like fish, but I’m really not a huge seafood person. Couldn’t do that all the time. 3 years without a steak…the thought honestly scares me.

The whole ‘experiment’ was longer than 3 years, considering I also tried veganism, vegetarianism, and then settled for the fish only thing.

All it did was make eating a fucking hassle, put on fat, and made my stomach all fucked up.

This was such a long time ago though that it’s funny to see this grow in popularity, and become a cultural trend. I feel bad for the people that get sucked into this for ideological reasons.

I have been trying to develop a nuanced perspective around the morality of eating meat lately. It is more complicated than I think most people (including myself) think.

I am all for making the lives of livestock as good as possible, and reducing any suffering that is unnecessary (which I believe we have work to do in this area). However, a vast majority of these animals would not exist if not for us eating them.

Studies have shown that wild animals have a harder life which includes more suffering than domestic. Study looked at cortisol levels of wild vs domestic animals, and response to negative stimulus.

So even though they are eaten at the end, they maybe live a better life than a wild animal. Is the net positive greater than the net negative of their lives? If so, maybe eating meat isn’t unethical from that perspective.

Then there is the impact to the environment. I think much of that comes down to regulation. A government could tax meat to pay for programs that go into green energy, or directly reduce green house emissions.

1 Like