T Nation

The Future of MMA!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2310042801340805866&q=pankration

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8779511789112605510&q=pankration

If I’m correct, I think this used to be one of the olympic sports in ancient Greece. I remember the name, although I could totally be wrong. Awesome stuff from kids. It really is amazing how fast kids pick up.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8779511789112605510&q=pankration[/quote]

Is it the same as MMA without head strikes?

pankration without head strikes? uhh, then its not pankration

that shit is insane, those kids are gonna be scary 10 years from now for sure

[quote]alownage wrote:
pankration without head strikes? uhh, then its not pankration

that shit is insane, those kids are gonna be scary 10 years from now for sure[/quote]

I should have written for those kids. It looked like they were warned by the ref whenever they went to the head.
They showed more fire than most of the TUF competitors - hehe.

Very interesting. I think we will see a resurgance of the talent pool in MMA within a decade or two.

The sport is rising incredibly in popularity all around the world, and kids are now being trained since they were young to fight; as a by product we will likely also see the introduction of more athletes with natural ability choosing MMA as their trade from an impressionable and plastic age. As a fan, I can’t wait.

That little fucker with the longer hair in the second video…wow

Thats the greatest thing I have seen all week…

I really wish I could do something like that for us up here in NJ/NY area.

Hell, seeing shit like that makes me wish I had kids of my own to who I could teach to kick ass like that.

that is the most irresponsible thing i’ve ever seen. i really don’t think little kids have the maturity to be given the responsibility of being allowed to do submissions. in the second video the kid was reefing on the other kids leg trying to do an achilles lock. looked like he was also trying to do an ankle lock. combine an immature mind with the “win at all costs” attitude of many parents, and it’s a disaster waiting to happen.

i’ve been training for a few years now, and sometimes help teach. i’ve never seen a kids class that allowed submissions like that. same with striking. there’s a whole set of skills and techniques they could base a scoring system on, such as positioning (bjj-style of positioning) and/or takedowns/ground control. We’re not warriors, and they’re not little Spartans in training.

the future of mma? maybe, but that was a very poor example of instructing them. as Fedor said in an interview this week, it’s a sport. He focuses on the techniques. The people in those videos were just getting little kids to throw down.

[quote]kakugo wrote:
[…]
the future of mma? maybe, but that was a very poor example of instructing them. as Fedor said in an interview this week, it’s a sport. He focuses on the techniques. The people in those videos were just getting little kids to throw down.[/quote]

I concur.

That is not the proper way to instruct children. It is general athletism and technique which must be taught.
Promoting “killer instinct” or “badass mentality” in youngsters may lead to some good fighters but will inevitably also teach totally wrong ideals.
While I’m not a fan of “Karate Kid” and such nonsense which overemphasises “spirit” and chivalry, this is just wrong in the western world of the 21 Century.

Actually you’d be surprised how organized and the extent that they go through to encourage the kids to not fight via anger but with respect for one another. I personally believe in an age where kids are playing with yu-gi-oh cards, gaming systems, and cringe when they see the sun. That this is a great way to enourage them to do something worthwhile.

I havent seen any of these little kids get angry. As a matter of fact they walk away after the fight saying, “Good job, you almost got me”…“hey where did you learn that, show me”… etc etc. They become friends.

If you fight you know, that if someone stands across from you, matches your ferocity and doesn’t back away. You gain a respect for one another that takes years to create in any other environment. Combat is a motherfucker.

Sure there are the wannabe tough guys but they usually get humbled very quickly. EVERYONE that I’ve met that can ACTUALLY fight are humble as hell. Probably because they took enough ass whoopings along the way to get as good as they are. Secondly because they don’t have shit to prove!! They KNOW they can kick your ass, so why be a dick about it?

I think if you look at this and just immediately see violence, then you’re not looking deeply enoughly.

(BTW the one kid was going for a toehold)

There’s a girl by the way, named megan, redhead who I just watched today ROCK like 4 boys haha. She seriously beat their ass. I believe her coach is Ulysses Gomez (aka Useless… if you know bjj you know the name (tapped a black belt when he was a white or blue belt i believe(yes seriously)).

[quote]treco wrote:
Xen Nova wrote:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8779511789112605510&q=pankration

Is it the same as MMA without head strikes?[/quote]

Ya its basically mma without the head strikes and submissions that twist (twisting neck cranks(crucifix is allowed tho), heel hooks, etc, not sure if “twister” is allowed)

[quote]BluePfaltz wrote:

Hell, seeing shit like that makes me wish I had kids of my own to who I could teach to kick ass like that.

[/quote]

What a great reason to have kids!

Impressive kids for sure. I always like to watch the kids go at it in BJJ tournaments because they have little concept of defense or pacing themselves. Its just one great sub attempt after another. As a school owner, though, the first thought that went through my head was, “Damn, I bet their insurance is at least a zillion dollars”

Makes me wish I could be a kid again. Awesome stuff.

[quote]Smitty88 wrote:
BluePfaltz wrote:

What a great reason to have kids!
[/quote]

LOL, good point.

Pancration is like UFC execpt strikes to the head use open hand.
Bass Rutten was famous for Pancrase fighting.

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?p=bass+rutten&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=
UTF-8&b=2&oid=1ccfd0dbdbe9efba&rurl=mmafighter.com&vdone=http%3A%2F%2F
video.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fvideo%3Fp%3Dbass%2Brutten%26toggle%3D1%26cop%3Dmss%26ei%3DUTF-8

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Actually you’d be surprised how organized and the extent that they go through to encourage the kids to not fight via anger but with respect for one another. I personally believe in an age where kids are playing with yu-gi-oh cards, gaming systems, and cringe when they see the sun. That this is a great way to enourage them to do something worthwhile.

I havent seen any of these little kids get angry. As a matter of fact they walk away after the fight saying, “Good job, you almost got me”…“hey where did you learn that, show me”… etc etc. They become friends.

If you fight you know, that if someone stands across from you, matches your ferocity and doesn’t back away. You gain a respect for one another that takes years to create in any other environment. Combat is a motherfucker.

Sure there are the wannabe tough guys but they usually get humbled very quickly. EVERYONE that I’ve met that can ACTUALLY fight are humble as hell. Probably because they took enough ass whoopings along the way to get as good as they are. Secondly because they don’t have shit to prove!! They KNOW they can kick your ass, so why be a dick about it?

I think if you look at this and just immediately see violence, then you’re not looking deeply enoughly.

(BTW the one kid was going for a toehold)

There’s a girl by the way, named megan, redhead who I just watched today ROCK like 4 boys haha. She seriously beat their ass. I believe her coach is Ulysses Gomez (aka Useless… if you know bjj you know the name (tapped a black belt when he was a white or blue belt i believe(yes seriously)).

[/quote]

I think it is good also for kids. They should be careful with the anklelocks and such. They have many kids here in combat sambo and wrestling and BJJ. When my son gets old enough I will send him also to see if he likes it. He does not have to be the future of mma, but he will learn alot I think. How to conduct himself, be a good man.
Also I do not think many of those kids will become the future of mma. Some maybe. Getting punched/kicked in the head changes everything.

Damn I wish they had that when I was a kid!