The Future of Martial Arts

bump

There is a lot of variety to martial arts and the people who practice the various types. So I don’t think we are ever going to see it coalesce into one standardised super art. Because people have different goals and needs.

There is a lot that martial arts can do for anyone, it’s not only about fighting. I know my training has seen me through some hard times where fighting people wouldn’t have solved my problems, instead it would have made them worse.

So I doubt that one art is going to crowd out all the others.

[quote]WolBarret wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
WolBarret wrote:
I think I discussed this with Sifu once.

MMA is the craze today. So what’s gonna happen to martial arts like Tae-kwon Do, Karate, Kali/Escrima, and other martial arts. People aren’t solely focused on one art, instead they are taking a little bit from BJJ, Boxing, and Wrestling.

Will individual martial arts suffer because of this?

For the most part, TMA’s aren’t sport based like the other ones are.

What’s going to happen is that people who want to compete in UFC will take MMA classes, or mix those ones geared towards competing (Boxing, MT, BJJ, wrestling.)

People who want to learn an art for self defense, the spiritual aspects, the self-discipline- they’ll keep taking TMA’s.

TMA’s aren’t going anywhere. A small percentage of the people who take them want to be cage fighters. A solid amount of the people who take them aren’t young, either, and have no illusions about the beatings their body can take.

I just feel that Individual Martial Arts will lose popularity and they’ll be forgotten. Boxing, BJJ, and Wrestling won’t be specialized in, but simply used as stepping stones to practice MMA.

I respect Wrestling, Boxing, Karate, and Tae Kwon Do, and I would hate for them to be forgotten.
[/quote]

i read an article about this recently. a lot of people were worried that wrestling would suffer, as they shift focus for fighting, but the opposite happened. apparently the number of people that are wrestling in high school and college has gone up, due to people recognizing it’s effectiveness in a fight.