T Nation

The Fructose Files

Hi little buddies,

I was trying to convince a work colleague the other day that her diet should not consist of only fruit. I was trying to explain to her about fructose, although I didnt have quite the lingo to explain to her why she shouldn’t be just eating fruit.

My request: please write a explanation of why one should not have a diet that only consists of mainly fruit. In your short answer reply, concentrate on the biochemical aspects of fructose.

Go.

tweet

Unbalanced as all hell = nutrient deficiencies out the waazoo. And good luck thinking that multi is being absorbed.

Tell her too much fructose goes to the liver then the liver shoots it off on an express highway to the belly fat deposit.
Fructose in small quantities = OK, Fructose in large quantities = Bad

Interestingly this is a nice “study” to put the “no one ever got fat eating fruit” to the test.

wait by only fruit do you mean, like truly only fruit…like no meat, no rice, no potatoes, no vegetables just…fruit?

[quote]giograves wrote:
Unbalanced as all hell = nutrient deficiencies out the waazoo. And good luck thinking that multi is being absorbed.

Tell her too much fructose goes to the liver then the liver shoots it off on an express highway to the belly fat deposit.
Fructose in small quantities = OK, Fructose in large quantities = Bad

Interestingly this is a nice “study” to put the “no one ever got fat eating fruit” to the test.[/quote]
my roommate is from jamaica and can attest to how much his friends and mom get fat when mangoes are in season. I would too, to be fair

Also, fruit has no protein, and the few with healthy fats are not very balanced or have very many.

I think the real arguement is the sugar ratio in the diet, not even the fructose. say she needs meat to slow down the sugar absorbtion, may be your best bet to help her i guess

Ignore the crap about fructose, it’s a waste of time to explain and ultimately not nearly as relevant as the fact that she’s really not getting that many micronutrients per calorie.

Just compare the micronutrient per calorie data of any fruit (even the really good stuff like avocadoes) to just about any green vegetable out there. Just look at a few major nutrients she might be familiar with – calcium, magnesium, iron, vitamin D – and show her that fruit alone is inadequate just for those basics.

Whatever you do, do not jam the ‘you have to eat meat’ thing down her throat. Most people do not respond to that, because it might represent a radical attack on her assumptions, which usually causes people to ignore you and avoid you in the future. (I say this with the assumption that she has some strongly vegetarian-vegan leanings, correct me if I’m wrong)

It’s like when you’re hanging out at home, or at a college campus, or some public event, and someone tries to do a full-court press to convert you to some religion or philosophy that is not part of your upbringing.

They are going to seem annoying, and you’re generally going to reject them outright.

Instead, consider convincing her of a very minor flaw in her current dietary approach. Once you convince her of a minor flaw in a way that works with her existing assumptions, she will be much more amenable to considering more significant changes to how she views food.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi little buddies,

I was trying to convince a work colleague the other day that her diet should not consist of only fruit. I was trying to explain to her about fructose, although I didnt have quite the lingo to explain to her why she shouldn’t be just eating fruit.

My request: please write a explanation of why one should not have a diet that only consists of mainly fruit. In your short answer reply, concentrate on the biochemical aspects of fructose.

Go.

tweet[/quote]

My girlfriend was telling me about some all new fruit diet her and her friend were going to try out. Where the fuck does this shit come from?

[quote]VTTrainer wrote:
say she needs meat to slow down the sugar absorbtion, may be your best bet to help her i guess[/quote]

good thinking, bro!

seriously that’s the most randomly made up argument that you could possibly tell her.

just send her that bullshit fructose lecture by lustig if you already want to convince her through making shit up

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
wait by only fruit do you mean, like truly only fruit…like no meat, no rice, no potatoes, no vegetables just…fruit?[/quote]
Mainly fruit. Also included are the usual suspects of yoghurt and musli, and “whole wheat” crackers!

[quote]The Greek wrote:
My girlfriend was telling me about some all new fruit diet her and her friend were going to try out. Where the fuck does this shit come from? [/quote]
Tell me about it.

Keep your answers coming in friends. I would like more information of how fructose is processed by the body, and its differences to other sugars such as sucrose.

tweet

http://www.thefruitarian.com/

Looks like a fucking Auschwitz survivor. Warning: Some of the videos may cause rage.

Edited: Typo

[quote]theBird wrote:
I was trying to convince a work colleague the other day that her diet should not consist of only fruit.[/quote]

don’t waste your time. I’m sure we’ve all had friends/family ask how to get in shape, only to completely disregard your advice.

I’ve written out countless programs for my mates in the past, just for all my effort to be wasted by them deciding they can’t be arsed.

99% of the people who ask for your advice will be too lazy to take it, so trying to give advice to someone who hasn’t even asked for it is even more pointless.

people only take your advice when it confirms what they’ve already decided they want to do.

[quote]giograves wrote:
Interestingly this is a nice “study” to put the “no one ever got fat eating fruit” to the test.[/quote]

It would be extremely uncomfortable for most people to do this.

The most calories dense fruit are coconut, olive and avocado but they are also high in fat and low in fructose and glucose.

How many pounds of bananas, for example, would one need to eat in order to get all of one’s energy for the day?

6.2 lb for 2500 cal ( http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2178?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=bananas )

Dates, on the other hand, would require only 2.0 lb, and for example personally I have no trouble eating about 700-800 calories or so of dates at a time.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
6.2 lb for 2500 cal ( http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/2178?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=bananas )

Dates, on the other hand, would require only 2.0 lb, and for example personally I have no trouble eating about 700-800 calories or so of dates at a time.[/quote]

I forgot about dates. Raisins and other dried fruit might also be easier.

Does wine count?

Don’t know if the fruititarians allow wine. The caloric content is significant, at about 800 cal/liter.

Your point does seem to follow that a strictly fruit diet (which is nutritionally bad) due to bulk is unlikely to add fat at a great rate if at all, or at least not if omitting a few particularly calorie-dense fruits.

In practice though, as with this muesli, yogurt, and cracker-eating woman, the fruit gets added onto other calories and the total can easily be well beyond maintenance for the individual.

OP, you started this thread with the assumption that the person in question was a Fructarian. Then you revealed that she eats all kinds of other things.

If she has a mixed lacto-vegetarian diet, the premise of all our replies are made meaningless.

Most of all because there’s no way in hell that you’re going to convince anyone that fruit is bad for you just because it has fructose…mostly because the glycemic load of fresh fruit is incredibly low for the most part, primarily because 1. not that many calories; and 2. lots of fiber – end result, blood sugar does not spike all that much.

OK, yeah, fine, Jamaicans might get fat during mango season – maybe because they’re adding mangoes to their existing diet of yams and goat curry.

If you actually convince her to drop the fruit instead of dropping the muesli and whole wheat crackers, you should seriously be beaten and dumped into an open sewer.

Actually no, for example a person could easily convince me that 1000 cal/day (as just one figure) of fruit is metabolically bad for me because of the high amount of fructose.

So there are some people that the OP could convince that really large amounts of fructose aren’t the way to go.

[quote]theBird wrote:
Hi little buddies,

I was trying to convince a work colleague the other day that her diet should not consist of only fruit.
tweet[/quote]

She’ll learn when she dies

Sure, there may be someone, somewhere in such a circumstance.

But again I reitorate that to focus on the woes of fruit instead of muesli and wheat crackers is an extremely poor choice on many levels, not only in terms of nutritionally sound advice, but also in terms of how to construct a convincing argument for the overwhelming majority of modern humans.