The Freedom Caucus

Maybe this is the same thing, but I think it’s more that their ideas are no longer popular among modern America not that they’re unrealistic.

They’re the party of free trade. Oh, and tariffs.

1 Like

Independently thinking folks…obviously after the failed health care form. Do you see the republicans marching in lock step like the democrats? Nope.

So having a completely fractured party is now a good thing? How do they intend to govern?

But you didn’t elaborate. As I said most small business owners are taxed as S Corporations or DBA’s. That means that income flows directly to them. Look at all of those “evil” rich people that the democrats can declare class warfare on. Okay…so how would you tax the small business owners of America?

Yes, he couldn’t keep the Bush tax cuts for those evil people making 250-k or better. That would have been horrible. Also, it would have broken the democrats class warfare code.

But he did screw the middle class:

“In 2013, most Americans had a good bit less money, after adjusting for taxes, than the year before. That’s because in 2013, a huge tax increase affecting ordinary workers took effect, raising the employee payroll tax from 4.2 percent to 6.2 percent. A worker earning $50,000 a year saw disposable income decline by $1,000.”

You equate “independent” with “fractured” I don’t.

I’m sure people who know far more about it than I can come up with something fair and reasonable.

Once again, you are playing fast-and-loose with the facts, altering them to fit your narrative. The truth is, Obama didn’t implement a “huge tax increase”–he allowed a planned sunsetting of the payroll tax reduction to occur. (Note that, if elected, POTUS candidate Romney planned to do the same thing):

Yeah, I get conservative, but these guys are never happy.

But you are usually quick with other ideas and suggestions. I guess your heart is just not in this one.

[quote]Obama didn’t implement a “huge tax increase”–he allowed a planned sunsetting of the payroll tax reduction to occur
[/quote]

Oh good then I’m sure the millions of people who paid an extra $1,000 to $5,000 per year in payroll tax probably feel better.

The point is he could have acted and didn’t. Like I have to explain that to you right?

And while the republicans failed to over turn Obamacare (this time) that doesn’t mean that it isn’t an absolute disaster for the middle class. Don’t make me pull out those figures. Obama harmed everyone except a certain class of people who decided that not working pays better than going to work.

What a freaking fraud that guy was!!

The US has seen a significant decline in C Corporations since the tax reform of 86. The federal government has compensated through the payroll tax, which just burden’s workers even more so than before.

Incentivising in country incorporation would lessen the tax burden on individuals, especially small business owners. Reducing discretionary spending (which is like 30% of the budget or about a trillion dollars) would be extremely helpful.

Edited out a redundant phrase cause ma english ain’t so great…

1 Like

I view them as the same, but can see how your distinction could be a better choice of words.

My point aligns with Mufasa’s quote above:

GOP has been grand standing for too long. Some among the party realize that when you have the president, the house, and the senate, its time to get legislation passed that would improve things for American citizens. Others (Freedom Caucus) want to continue to grand stand and potentially harm (or make things worse for) citizens to score political points. For example, full repeal of Obamacare with no replacement would leave a lot of people hanging. Similar to making Obamacare fail just to say “see! Its bad and its the democrats fault!”, and not being able to keep any aspect of it because that would be compromising with the evil other side.

It is not the time for rallies, campaign speeches, or scoring political points. It’s time to govern. Except governing takes compromise that the hard-line far-right candidates will pick apart during next campaign season so it won’t happen.

2 Likes

It’s always time to grandstand and score political points. Just ask the democrats who are trying as hard as they possibly can to disrupt and distract with this Trump/Russian nonsense. Naturally I give them kudos for their effort because that is how the game is played.

By the way the game never stops…not ever!

Eh, only if you count subsidies as cuts.

He extended the sunsetting Bush-era tax cuts for all but the top earners. That’s a tax cut.

No, that is extending a Bush tax cut.

If Obama had made tax cuts he would have actually made tax cuts.

What would have happened to tax rates if Obama hadn’t extended the sunsetting tax cuts?

We aren’t arguing baseline budget here. I will agree that temporary tax cuts are stupid, that being said Obama never lowered the tax rate himself, ever.

Would you also agree that temporary tax cuts are temporary–meaning that, once they expire, the rate goes back up to the pre-cut level?

Did the rates go back up to pre cut level?