The Freedom Caucus

Prepared for that.

Even the most right leaning guy (other than me) will allow that the state has a right to tax the individual to pay for necessary services. If it’s just a tax refund for complying then you don’t lose anything for not complying. You owe the same tax you would have owed before the rule went into effect.

I liken it to the marriage tax credit. Society has a vested interest in two parent households. You don’t lose anything if you choose not to marry. But the tax credit incentivises the behavior.

Now we could get into a debate about government incentivisimg social behaviours. I believe that free people should be free to make bad decisions. But don’t ask me to pay for your lung cancer surgery after you smoked 2 packs per day for 30 years. That’s the rub, we can’t just let Smokey die with his kids sitting there weeping. Talk about bad optics.

That’s why my idea was to start at the source of the problem. Less fat metabolically damaged people per capita means less heart disease, diabetes, cancer etc… to pay for.

2 Likes

The poor have a more difficult time with many things. I don’t think that should be a deal killer.

Absolutely.

I completely agree with that as well. No question.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a big problem, and for me one of the big cruxes of the issue personally. There is no question that people do not respect anything without skin of their own in the game, but the consequence for many is…rather foregone