The "Free Market" Failure of the American Healthcare System

Wait–did we just break into a productive healthcare/political philosophy discussion in a Zep thread??

… I’m going to go buy a lottery ticket. BRB.

4 Likes

All true, but by my lights, none of it has any bearing on whether an individual has given consent. To use your analogy, the fact that a rapist isn’t convicted doesn’t mean a rape didn’t occur. (Likewise, whether or not a rebellion is successful has no bearing on the fact that the rebels have committed treason against the govt.)

So you agree that the ability to leave obviates the coercion argument, but feel that, as a practical matter, the barriers to emigrating renders this an impractical solution. I can live with that, because I was arguing the principle.

I believe the answer to that question was ‘yes’ back in the days of indentured servitude.

The contract is not one-sided–the govt is bound as tightly as any of us. If the govt breaks it (which it does from time to time), the citizen can seek redress via the courts. Just as when a citizen breaks the law (which happens far more often), the govt seeks redress in the same manner (ie, via the courts).

And what are the BK rates in other industrialized countries? You know the ones that spend less on their healthcare and often get better results? And why are people in this country headed for Type 2 diabetes? Could it be the cheap garbage food they eat that is engineered to make them come back for more? But this is something else you champion as profits are to be worshiped above all else.

Do these issues pop up in a universal healthcare system? And if so, to what degree?

Here you go fool: Top 5 Reasons Why People Go Bankrupt

And universal healthcare costs less often with better results.

I’ll bet they are less expensive, often with better outcomes.

See the links I’ve posted about BK, if interested.

With the argument that lack of a revolt is proof of implied consent. It would follow then that withdrawing consent requires a revolt. That withdrawal only means anything if you win.

I wonder what he would think of the ultra-rich gaming the system for their benefit. Often at the expense of the poor and middle class.

And when Americans are given the choice of universal healthcare they will most likely choose the rest of the industrialized world.

I simply believe that humans with power over other humans will abuse that power given time and opportunity. And how is this different from what is going on today in this country with the class structures?

I’m a moron who sees that the overwhelming majority of countries that have universal healthcare spend far less and often have better results. But you can’t see that and I’m the moron. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Difference = coercion.

In a free market I can choose not to do business with anyone I don’t like.

I can’t choose not to do business with government.

There’s no such thing as class in the US. It’s a tool used to rile people up and keep them angry at the evil rich. As If the rich took something from “the lower classes”. Economics is not a zero sum game, me making $5 doesn’t take $5 from you. If you make $100M you too can have a house in Malibu drive 5 Bentleys.

1 Like

Not true. I know you’re familiar with the concept of ‘civil disobedience.’

From a practical standpoint, perhaps. But again, I thought we were discussing principles.

1 Like

I have 3 words for you dude.

Legalized Weed.

2 Likes

True, real world implications vs principles. I don’t know how well a political philosophy thread would work here. It almost seems like wasted nueron usage at a certain point. The people who actually get involved in politics are so far from being principled statesmen that arguing the moral and ethical implications of philosophy and policy seems mute. Thanks for entertaining the crazy basement amateur ancap.

Ah well. Back to our regularly scheduled “stay woke” programming.

1 Like

Correct.

Thanks for the source, it’s even less of a fucking problem than I thought.

1 Like

Wrong, fucktard.