The "Free Market" Failure of the American Healthcare System

Funny how other countries with a single-payer system pay far less. But I guess that is just coincidence.

The problem with this type of thinking doesn’t explain why other countries that have a form of single-payer do better than the U.S. And that Medicare (government run)costs rise slower than “market” costs. The exact opposite of what you propose.

Because “free markets” lead to monopolies.

WRONG

The specter of government corruption is made possible by the money spent by large corporations. Get money out of politics and this becomes a much smaller problem. Comprende?

@Zeppelin795 I have two questions I hope you’ll answer.

1. On a scale of Clint Eastwood to David Avocado Wolfe, how woke does the average sheeple need to be for your ideas to begin resonating in the brain chakra?

2. Do you even lift?

2 Likes

What are the costs in a universal system?

You haven’t had even one class on economic theory, have you…

2 Likes

US healthcare is the best in the world. I don’t know what’s wrong with you that you keep calling it substandard.

When the single-payer system works so much better, why not? How many studies in the U.S. have been done on medicinal marijuana? But the people demanded it and it has been legalized in more than half the states and will be legal in all 50 eventually. And stem cells have been studied thoroughly and have treated hundreds of thousands of people with great results. Just not in the U.S. because Big Pharma can make more money selling their garbage drugs. So citizens opt to go outside the country to get help. Absolutely grotesque!

There’s an important distinction to be drawn here between “health outcomes” and “health care.”

U.S. health outcomes are not as good as we might hope, in large part due to our collective sloth and gluttony as a nation, with a side of “>15% of the population still smoke cigarettes despite mountains of irrefutable evidence that it’s pretty much the worst thing you can do for your health in the long term.”

U.S. health care has many brilliant aspects; incredible surgeons, incredible technology, etc. It also has some serious structural issues, including the unwieldy behemoth of an insurance industry, a byzantine system that’s extremely difficult to navigate if you’re hit with an unexpectedly large bill for something that the doctor said would be covered, and creates some silly things that are haggled over for administrative purpose rather than any real benefit to patient care (for example, the financial ramifications of whether a patient that’s admitted to the hospital was technically admitted for “observation” or whether they are an “inpatient” stay).

1 Like

This system is revenue-producing above all else.

A coop. Jeremy Corbyn said that if elected he would implement a first right of refusal for workers. If the company was going out of business, trying to sell itself or wanting to go public. The workers would first get the chance to buy the company first. Now that’s a coop.

The other systems just take all of your earnings upfront via taxes. Sounds way better…

1 Like

Only sends less than 1% to BK. But is still the biggest reason why people have to declare Chptr 7

Laypeople would be stunned by what a Byzantine issue this is, and how much time and effort is spent addressing it. Our hospital employs people, full-time, whose primary job is to determine whether a given pt should be classified as ‘observation’ vs ‘inpatient.’

2 Likes

I’m not gonna do this with you, again. You don’t even understand what bankruptcy is let alone how it works. It’s less than 1 fucking percent of the population. It’s actually .6% iirc.

Like 30% of the country is obese and you can’t wrap your tiny brain around how that affects healthcare costs, but you’re stuck on this .6% bankruptcy issue.

1 Like

I’ve been working with two of our cardiologists to try to do something about this (we’ve been trying to publish a paper showing that the difference is more one of semantics than it is anything to do with improving care for pts). So far, we have encountered resistance. Still working on it, haha.

1 Like

The link doesn’t even mention bankruptcy, why do I talk to you?

And that’s fine as far as it goes - as long as that process is subordinate to medical ethics (as @EyeDentist points out) and the need to use public policy to address market failures inherent in the supply and demand of health care.