The "Free Market" Failure of the American Healthcare System

Work on your reading comprehension there, champ:

“Among those who see a government responsibility to provide health coverage for all, more now say it should be provided through a single health insurance system run by the government, rather than through a mix of private companies and government programs. Overall, 33% of the public now favors such a “single payer” approach to health insurance, up 5 percentage points since January and 12 points since 2014. Democrats – especially liberal Democrats – are much more supportive of this approach than they were even at the start of this year.”

33% is not the “majority” - but good job, good effort.

3 Likes

Maybe, I read this wrong and didn’t notice the word Democrats. Among Democrats, 52% now say health insurance should be provided through a single national insurance system run by the government.

It is coming whether you like it or not. So whatcha gonna do?

Oh, there’s no “maybe” about it. You either read it wrong or willfully misrepresented it.

52% of Democrats is not the same as “the majority of the public” - so no, it is not a guarantee that single-payer is coming.

FWIW, I support the idea of “government option” healthcare with the option for citizens to purchase their own privately-funded healthcare if they so choose.

1 Like

Save up cash to pay doctors outside the system while care degrades to ‘VA level’ for the people in the system.

Currently we have 74.5 million people on Medicaid.

There are 55.5 million people on Medicare.

9.5 million on some form of Tricare.

That’s 140 million people on some level government run healthcare (single payer) or 43.3% of the US population. That doesn’t even count the millions on subsidies and nearly-free plans under the ACA.

What are you whining about again?

2 Likes

I don’t believe single-payer is a guarantee, but that the political climate is ripe as the greedy corporations would not put a hold on their greed and the public has had enough.

Single-payer refers to the government collecting taxes and health services doled out by private doctors. If the healthcare was worse than the current healthcare we now have, why do people not want it to go away?

You better save a lot. To get worse overall outcomes seems like something stupid to do. Pay more for worse results. But sometimes you can’t fix stupid.

The hospitals and courts will delay and deny your treatment until it is time for you to die. Even then, they’ll choose where you may die, pending appeal of course. Enjoy 1984.

1 Like

This case has boiled my blood for weeks. The Gard family were held up in court with a spurious case for wardship and, as a result, the child deteriorated to the point of being beyond help.

Now they are being denied the capacity to bring him home. All of this when the money raised would allow them to care for him at home.

2 Likes

I think “boiled my blood” is probably the most polite thing I could say about this case. I can curse like a sailor but I think even those profanities would fail to capture the anger.

3 Likes

Trying to convince people that state wardship should not be possible vs loving, of sound mind, parents is like trying to open a round handle door using only your forehead. There was no valid justification for that court order and it shows a terrifying imbalance of power against the family in the UK legal system.

Deeply disquieting stuff.

What was even more teeth gnashingly awful was the left wing newspapers declaring the support for the Gards from the US right was some kind of moral blight. They only made such preemptive counterattacks because their own stance is so demonstrably bankrupt.

3 Likes

In case you can’t read the article, it’s a (highly unfavorable) look at the provision of care with stem-cell therapy (a favorite of ol’ Zeppelin) in the current environment. For those unaware, stem-cell therapy is currently under investigation but not approved for treatment of heart failure due to a lack of convincing evidence that it is safe and/or effective. The vast majority of centers providing stem cell therapy for HF either do not employ physicians (some describe themselves as “naturopathic medicine doctors”), while many of those that do employ physicians do not employ a board-certified cardiologist [i.e. they employ someone who has graduate medical school and most likely decided that it would be more lucrative to open a private clinic selling snake oil than it would be to actually practice medicine]. Several quotes given by reps of the stem cell centers are indicative of a comically terrible lack of medical knowledge.

2 Likes

A tragic story indeed, however stuff like this happens in every system.

This woman’s child died because she didn’t have health insurance. Is this any less tragic? All brought to you by the U.S. healthcare system. How honorable.

Bull. Chip is available for all poor children at stupid cheap rates.

With what we know about the journal industry is this surprising?

I suppose all the people treated here are either lying or just imaging their results?

Because there are very little if any published trials. Didn’t stop people from being helped from medicinal marijuana.
After the public have suffered for decades it was first approved in California in 1996.
Now the public has to again suffer until the incredibly slow FDA gets their act together. But who cares if the public has to suffer if more money can be made. Nothing like do everything you can to make as much as you can from the unfortunate circumstances of others.

Tens of thousands are helped by stem cells every year, just not in the U.S. as corporate interest comes first. The public had enough and that is the reason why medicinal marijuana is legal in over half the states not because of the benevolence of the healthcare industry. As they were afraid it could effect the bottom line. So their strategy is to limit the choice of the public so they can make more.

So are you claiming that the woman is lying?

I’m claiming that for $53/month she could have covered her child. That’s $1.75 per day. Even if she is unemployed there is no excuse not to cover your child.

There is obviously something unknown here as I doubt any woman would risk the life of their child over this. It may take some time but I will find out.

I have never once denied any failures of our healthcare system.

I will shed exactly zero tears. I will; however, be saddened to watch everyone get VA level treatment in Amerca.

We won’t pay less and we certainly aren’t guaranteed better outcomes.

Nope because I’m not an ideological twat waffle like you.

You really are a special kind of stupid.

Dude, he will never get this.

With close to 450 pages of comment…I’m almost sure this has been brought up…but maybe it’s worth mentioning again.

Knowing how things are done in the U.S.; the feeling is that what we will end up with is a 2-3 Tiered Healthcare System. Those who can afford it will get the best care offered…and there will be Entrepreneurs and Health Systems ready to provide it.

Then there will be everyone else.

In many ways we kind of already see hints of it with 1) Congress and 2) the system of “cash-only” Medicine that already exist (mostly in fields like plastics and high-end Ophthalmology).

The net result is that if you have the money; you will most likely continue to get the best care available in the U.S. Good luck for everyone else.