T Nation

The Fletch Training Log

Have been extremely inconsistent with weight lifting for past several months to put it lightly. That’s not to say inactive. Work involves constant lifting and there’s MMA as well. Strength is still up and other athletic qualities have improved, but body comp is getting worse. I’m headed in the direction of… skinny fat Weightlifting has the most positive impact on this for me compared to anything so it’s time to actually start again with a plan.

Key Notes:
*Even when tired and sore, go to gym and at least warm up. Re-evaluate AFTER the warm up.
*Keep logging training sessions!!! It keeps me accountable and gets me motivated by observing progress.
*Volume will have to be lower than I’m used to to accommodate MMA and work. Just 1 big barbell movement that will alternate between fast bb speed and slower bb speed each week. DE days and RE days both staying in the 70-85% range. For Oly’s rotate between same-ish rep count, but alternate between fewer and more sets. Only two assistance exercises not done with a bb and only one set taken to an RPE >8 if I’m feeling good.
*Whole body so no one part is too sore to carry out the tasks of the next day

The plan for at least the next 2 months:

Day1
Power Snatch (estimated max of 175 with good form i.e. no star fishing, straight elbows on the catch)
135x3x5 and 8x2 for Power weeks
Leg Press
5x10
DB Floor Press (punching a bag can take it’s toll on the shoulders)
5x10

Day 2
Front Squat
Work up in small increments to 5 reps @ RPE8-9 (total of 3 training sets) 8-10x2 w/ accommodating resistance for Power weeks
Landmine Press and Landmine Rows
5x10

Day 3
Hang Clean to Push Press
3x5 and 8x2 for power weeks
BW Bulgarian Split Squats
5x10 (or as close to that rep scheme as I can)

I’ll change up main exercises by doing small variations to avoid overuse issues and boredom. Like a zercher box squat instead of front squat, or power clean from the floor instead of the hang etc.

Been a while since I’ve been active on these boards and that was a clear mistake. Time to rectify.

I wondered where you’d gotten to. In for this.

Thx!

Starting with an RE Week

Power Snatch
135x4x3
All reps were pretty snappy and no form breakdown. Last set felt a bit slower so I quit there. I think for even the RE weeks I won’t go above 3 reps/set on Oly’s and do single on the DE weeks.

DB Floor Press
40lbx5x10 60s rest/set
time to bump up the weight to 45 next week

Bulgarian Split Squat
3x8 w/ bw
I tried using an aerobic platform with one riser instead of bench with my rear ball of the foot on the platform and omg this makes it a way tougher exercise. A much better pump and burn this way.

Did kickboxing at MMA.

The focus was on clinching. Omg Clinching wears me down. I had planned on staying for juijitsu too immediately afterwards but my skalp felt tingly and I was light headed and I’ve got work tomorrow so I went home.

Rock Bottom Front Squat
185x3
205x1
225x5 RPE 9-10 stopped b/c I didn’t want to do any junk reps. I was already starting to shoot my hips back and round my upper back to the point I had to muscle the bb with my upper back to make the lift
felt kinda shakey after going the first couple of inches below parallel
I’ll do warm ups with a pause in the bottom and do free squat paused squats on my DE week

Landmine presses superset w/ landmine rows
2 dimes for 3x10 for each exercise

Friday

Went to MMA for kickboxing. It was bag work, pad work, and gpp today. I was kind of sucking at the all the bodyweight stuff because I’m still sore from Wednesday (last training session). But the bag and pad work went well.

GPP was mostly ab work.

I was especially doing well with the thai roundhouse and doing much better with the boxing work with the pads.

I’ve become pretty decent at keeping my hands up during partner drills, bag work, and light sparring.

I still need to become less hesitant with my punches and work on balance while punching. (boxing is new to me, when I did kung fu for 4 years I did mostly all kinds of kicks, back hands, and ridge hands and only straight ‘push’ punches).

There’s so much more rotation with a boxing style punch and I’m still having trouble efficiently harnessing all that momentum. At least now I have a cross that people will respect which gives me more options during the light sparring we do.

Notes:

*I thought by cutting out lifting that I would have more energy for work and MMA. This is NOT what happened. Sure it worked for a couple to few weeks, but now I know that by keeping in at least 2 whole body lifting sessions a week I actually increase my work capacity for other activities. I don’t know exactly why, but who am I to argue with the real world evidence I experienced first hand.

Sunday

Powerclean to Push Press (every 1st rep was from the floor, every other rep from the hang)
165x4x3
*form and explosiveness felt spot on
*read and watched some stuff for the hook grip last night that really helped. My grip was never the weakest link or even close to being the weakest link like it often is. What little grip fatigue I had was just from the habit of crushing the bar.

Leg Press/OH BB Ext/BB Curl Triset
3 sets for a pump for each

Tuesday

MMA today. 1 hour kickboxing, 1 hour juijitsu.

Mostly Abs and Pushups for GPP. Worked mostly on clinching. I just need more practice hear since this is an unfamiliar skill to me and I still feel uncomfortable and awkward with it.

Juijitsu was kind of rough since it had been so long since I did it. It was also hard after all the clinching since it uses similar muscles and energy systems. Mostly, I was out of practice. That’s fixed with more practice :slight_smile: .

Wednesday

Power Snatches from the Floor
135x1x15 EMOM
*Using the new tips for the hook grip and focusing on getting my shoulders further over the bar from in the starting position made it feel like the bar was damn near levitating over my head. At least with half those reps, I caught the bar with my knees nearly locked out and feet no further than shoulder width apart.

DB Floor Press / Bulgarian Split Squat / DB Pull Over Triset
45x5x10 / bodyweight x5x10 / 45x5x10
*will increase weight for floor presses and pull overs and hold hands behind my head for split squats next time

Friday

Juijitsu only. Worked on push/pull trip/take down. In free rolling, I mostly worked on keeping my arms in tighter so I didn’t get armbarred constantly. Nearly got my own armbar, but not quite.

Sunday

20 minutes of heavy bag work at home.

Mostly worked 1, 2, step right foot out into double switch kick one low and one high, 3, body 2, right knee is the main combo I practiced.

did a little double 1, low roundhouse, change angle into body 2

Monday Night

Short Pause Front Squat w/ 50lb of Chains
185x8x2
*Too heavy for a DE type training effect, but it was still good work. Something between 135-155 would be more appropriate for DE.
*Felt really solid during the pause. Had good pop out of the hole but slowed down because my upper back got ‘squishy’ especially the last couple of sets

Landmine 1 Arm Press / 1 Arm Row / Swiss Ball Leg Curls
5x10 for each
BB + 15lb for Landmine Work
*will graduate to 20lb for landmine work next time

Wednesday

Power Clean to Push Press
175x12x1
*planned to do 16 total reps, but I’m still fatigued from Monday in my lower body. Called it when I knew that another rep would mean grinding out the push press when the focus is speed and fluidity today.

Narrow Grip Pull Up / Dip / Cable Squat Combo
3x10 60s rest between trisets
*pull up and dip done with assistance from an average band
*cable squat just done from a normal low pulley setup using a dip belt. Only 50lb since I just wanted to shuttle blood to my legs to facilitate recovery since my legs aren’t recovered yet from Monday

I’ve been doing 10 minutes of power walking up a steep incline on the treadmill after my regular work for a cool down since I started this log. I do think it helps with recovery a bit.

Monday

Power Snatch then Hang Snatch
135x8x2
*rep count is if counting power and hang snatch each as individual reps
*first time I’ve done a legit hang snatch with this weight! Some reps were a little starfishy but most were good.

DB Floor Press / Bulgarian Split Squat / DB Pull Over
5x10 for first two, 10,10, 8, 8, 8
*held my hands up high for the split squats to add difficulty. will do this again next session until I can get better constant tension and balance then move to prison split squats
*can bump weight up for the floor press
*didn’t push to 10 on those sets w/ the pull over b/c I would’ve lost constant tension and mind-body connection

Power Walking

Tuesday

BJJ for 1 Hour
*focused on keeping contact so there’s less chance to scramble or counter what I was trying to do
*the lesson was on ‘smashing’ an opponent’s open guard
*during free rolling, I got the chance to practice the cross choke from mount. Other than that, I just focused on working into side control and mount. Got real good tips on getting out of half guard and transitioning into mount. Steps listed:

1. Straighten leg
  2. Inch my leg out
  3. Once the knee is out, move straight into mount.

Thursday

Zercher Narrow Stance Low Box Squat
185x8x2 60-90s rest
*Total dinosaur lift. Made me feel like I had been lifting a lot of heavy furniture.
*Very balanced between the work on the legs and back like a deadlift but more lower body focus on quads vs hams and glutes, upper back vs lower, and equal on mid back.
*Low box defined as 3 risers plus aerobics platform

Landmine Press / Landmine Row / Swiss Ball Leg Curl
5x10 45-60s rest between sets
*2 dimes for landime work
*used a small swiss ball, but will use a bigger one next time for more challenge
*I was drenched in sweat at the end of this and twitching

fooled around with some Indian Clubs my gym got.