The Flame-Free Confession Thread

When you walk over to the benches for incline DB press, and see all of the adjustable benches are taken and all being used as flat benches, while the flat benches are all open. Even worse if they’re texting between sets.

1 Like

If I had found T-Nation before bodybuilding.com, I would be several years ahead of where I am now.

4 Likes

right, I’m going to have to put it all out there right now, but seeing as this is a flame-free thread I feel I might just get away with it.

I text between sets. That’s right; I take my phone out of my pocket and send motherfucking texts between my sets. It doesn’t mean I’m not working hard or motivated or super-hardcore or #beastmode or whatever the fuck. It means I’ve got a minute and a half to kill and sometimes I kill it by communicating electronically with another human.

Fucking blow me. If you see me on a bench you want and I’m texting either ask me if you can work in and I’ll send my text standing up while you do a set, or fuck off.

Like, why is texting any worse than talking? I train hard and I text even harder. Deal with it, bitches.

14 Likes

Responding to work emails between sets gets me far more pumped up than listening to Metalica.

ever had an argument through text with your girlfriend while you’re training? PR central.

2 Likes

Never with the girlfriend…

It’s been awhile with the wife. Might need to poke that wasps nest to see if I can finally hit two plates on OHP.

guess you wouldn’t need the girlfriend if you never argued with the wife

1 Like

I curl in the power rack…but only when one of the other three isn’t being used.

And, I wear my belt while doing it…but only because I’m just too lazy to take it off.

Same with my squat shoes.

I just don’t care what anybody thinks.

1 Like

People over hype the ‘‘don’t curl in the squat rack’’ thing.As long as nobody wants to squat there and the gym’s kinda empty curling in the squat rack is great.I even do overhead extensions on the squat rack

1 Like

Me too!

I’ve done this in gyms across 3 countries. So far, NO ONE has even made prolonged eye contact with me while I’m doing it. Where are all the macho keyboard warriors in real life?

3 Likes

Curls in the squat rack are nowhere near as bad as deadlifts in the rack (not rack pulls, deadlifts) - seriously wtf?!?

But kicking people out of the rack is a pain. They either awkwardly hang around thinking they’re going to work in or they come back to it after you leave.

It’s like trying to teach a cat not to piss up a wall, you can stop it once but it’s just too big an asshole to learn :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I just cut their balls off. Never happens again. Will probably be hard to fit a bro into a carrier though.

1 Like

The iron in the rack posts increase your lifting capacity. :slight_smile:

Not flaming… But someone waiting to squat might not just come up to you and say it. Not everyone wants to get into a potentially shitty conversation at the gym. Bottom line, there just isnt any good reason to curl in the squat rack (assuming there is only 1, or only 1 open) unless you are curling well north of 135 and for some reason there is literally no other suitable area.

All the gyms I have gone to have plenty of space for curling and almost no space for squatting. If you are legit curling 225 though, I dont think anyone is going to say shit.

3 Likes

Totally get what you’re saying.I always look around though and even ask people if they want to squat.A few days back I was doing leg press and watching my phone between sets,not getting off of the equipment.When a guy stood near I asked him if he wanted do use the machine.Now if they hide behind a wall 20 feet away it’s their fault :stuck_out_tongue:

I believe the parenthetical portion was covered in the posts regarding curling in the squat rack.

Kinda renders your post pointless…but,

1 Like

Not a confession that will make some love me and some roll their eyes
I like shrugging with loose form,and as the reps go on,with even looser form.There comes a point where I’ll basically use more muscles that I do to deadlift to bring the weight up

But my traps grow and I do not feel any discomfort

Here’s an example

My confidence in the credibility of any type of training article is immediately diminished as soon as it tries to sell me a supplement

9 Likes

I have to suppress the urge to choke people out when they speak to my cats using baby talk.

Sorry, just had to let that out.

3 Likes

Sometimes, in a pinch, I will use Gold Bond spray as deodorant.